What's new

China Economy Forum

In this forum, as a responsible and consciencious chinese. We should not only domenstrate the good side of china, many problem unsolved should be discussed at here as well. China as many other developing country has lots of problem waiting be tackled with. We hope the goverment should listen more to the heart feeling and opinion of Civilians.That makes a country more decromatic and harminious.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

S0D20100821163237MT847081.jpg

We are all well aware that there are protests in China everyday. Are you going to keep posting as many as you can?

You seem to misunderstand the purpose of the economy thread. It is intended for economic and/or scientific news of national importance.

If you insist on continuously posting every local protest that you can find, please start your own thread on "Chinese protests." Chinese protests do not belong in this thread on China's economy. Chinese economic news regarding the Yuan-Dollar exchange rate is relevant. Aggregate foreign direct investment in China is relevant.

Local protests, where no one knows or cares who they are, clearly do not belong in this thread.

If you don't believe me, look up the definition for "economy" in an English dictionary. "Protest" or "democracy" is not one of the definitions for "economy."

I'd like to formally request webby to open up China livelihood and domestic affairs thread.

By the way Wanglaokan, there is very little interest among China's 1.3 billion Hans in minor and pointless protests for democracy (see citations below). Just ask the Indians how their divisive democracy, which is plagued with factionalism, is turning out.

Would you prefer a job and rising standard of living in China or being malnourished and stunted in India (see CBS News' 42 percent of Indian children under 5 malnourished)?

Anyway, good luck on your new thread of "Chinese protests and democracy." I suggest you post it in the World Affairs forum. However, don't get your hopes up. I don't think you'll receive many views. All of us are constantly bombarded with anti-China news articles from the Western governments (e.g. Voice of America) and media.

I've become inured to the point that I ignore it like background noise. I'm guessing everyone else is like that too. After all, why would we want to read your thread when we can go to the New York Times and read as many anti-China articles as we desire (e.g. 15 dead in Chinese car accidents; as if car accidents never happen in the United States)?

----------

This isn't exactly breaking news. However, most people do not realize the unanimous Han support for the current CCP government of Hu Jintao and Grandpa Wen.

93% Chinese Support Hu Jintao: Global Leadership Poll

"93% Chinese Support Hu Jintao: Global Leadership Poll

June 23, 2008
1 comments

Global Leadership Poll

globalleadershippoll3.jpg

Chinese President Hu Jintao got a 93 percent confidence ranking in the middle kingdom -- which proved that "when you're on the rise, there's an upbeat feeling that leads to a sunnier disposition" -- The Chinese feel that life is working for them!"

----------

Hu-Wen administration abolished the thousand-year-old agricultural tax

The team of President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao has deftly steered China through the Great Financial Crisis of 2007-2010 with booming 9% annual economic growth for China. This is their most important responsibility and their performance has exceeded the expectations of most Western analysts.

I don't think anybody can solve all of continental China's social injustice problems by 2013. However, Hu and Wen have shown that they'll do everything possible to ensure that most Chinese have jobs and enjoy a rising standard of living. Social problems take decades to solve. I believe that most people would agree that China's social problems have diminished greatly during the last 30 years of reforms and that life continues to improve.

I trust Premier Wen to do the best that he can in the next few years to rectify "social inequality and injustice."

Here are two examples of China's improving society under the Hu and Wen administration.

Wen Jiabao - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The Hu-Wen administration abolished the thousand year old agricultural tax ... by President Hu Jintao outlining China's direction in the next five years. ..."

http://www.pekingduck.org/2005/03/congratu...ou-get-married/

"March 30, 2005
Congratulations, Chinese college students: We’ll let you get married!

I think it’s only when Americans read stories like this that they get a glimpse of just how different the Chinese psyche is from their own.

China said it would lift from September a 50-year ban on college students marrying or bearing children but warned the relaxed regulations should not change academic priorities.

Students of legal marriage age — 22 for males and 20 for females — will no longer need to seek approval from university officials to tie the knot, the Ministry of Education said on its website.

For decades students contemplating marriage or who become pregnant have faced the dilemma of whether to give up studying or delay their wedding, or stay in school and have an abortion.

The regulation came under particularly strong criticism from graduate students, many of whom, under the threat of expulsion, were forced to hold off on reciting marriage vows or starting families.

The new rule follows a law enacted in 2003 that abolished the need for engaged couples to request from employers or superiors a certificate of approval to wed.

Until recent years, Chinese remained beholden to the state for the most basic needs such as provisions for housing, a child’s education or the right to get hitched.

Just a couple of weeks ago I read that the CCP has also made some changes in divorce procedures: You no longer have to get your employer’s permission before receiving an official divorce.

Now, to the Western mind this is almost incomprehensible. Ask your boss for permission to get a divorce? Be thrown out of college for getting married? It’s hard for us to grasp that this could actually have been acceptable for generations and even into the 21st century, and that the Chinese simply accepted it. A whole different outlook as to how society operates and the role of the individual.

Meanwhile, it’s good to see they are breaking free of at least some of those restrictions that serve no purpose except to limit personal freedom. God knows, it’s about time."

----------

97 percent of Chinese think the direction China has taken is correct

Did I say 93% approval rating for the Hu-Wen administration? I meant to say: "About 97 percent of Chinese think the direction China has taken is correct...."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-03...ent_9599782.htm

"Survey: China moving ahead
By Yu Tianyu (China Daily)
Updated: 2010-03-17 06:50

BEIJING: Most Chinese as well as expatriates believe the country is rising and is progressing in the right direction, a survey has found.

The poll on China's image and status, conducted by the China Development Research Foundation (CDRF) and Horizon Research Consultancy Group interviewed 1,754 Chinese aged 18-65 and 313 adult foreigners in seven cities including Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.

According to the survey, nearly two in three Chinese believe the country is on an upward spiral, while a little more than half of expats think so. About 97 percent of Chinese think the direction China has taken is correct, compared to 81.8 percent for expats.

In addition, nearly all Chinese are confident about the country's future, compared to nine in 10 for expats.

Victor Yuan, chairman of Horizon Group, said the results suggest the nation's achievements in the past decades and its rise - both economically and politically - have helped improve its image among expats and the Chinese.

Yu Lin, a 38-year-old Beijing taxi driver, said: "Many big events, such as the Beijing Olympic Games, have bolstered pride and confidence in our country."

Luee Sun, a purchase executive for departments stores, called China's rise "a great story" which has helped shift the center of gravity of many industries to China.

But Lu Mai, secretary general of CDRF, said some Chinese people are too optimistic, as the survey found that 22.1 percent of the Chinese think the country has risen. "Don't forget that more than 100 million people in China are still living below the poverty line," Lu said.

The survey showed that the most urgent task is to ensure social wealth is distributed more fairly, with 42.3 percent of the Chinese and 30.7 percent of expats of that view.

About 825,000 have more than 10 million yuan ($1.47 million) of wealth each; among them, 51,000 are worth more than 100 million yuan each, according to the Hurun report on China's wealthy.

The per capita disposable income of urban residents was 17,175 yuan in 2009, and the net per capita income of rural residents was 5,153 yuan, according to the National Bureau of Statistics.

The survey also found that the most severe social problems faced by China are employment, medical reform and housing prices.

On the international front, most of the respondents - both Chinese and expats - ranked the United States as the No 1 threat to China's development now and in the next decade, followed by Japan, Russia and the European Union.

But the US is also ranked first as the country most important both economically and politically to China now and in the next 10 years."

It is not military the only benchmark for defeating the enemy of CHina. It is about the livelihood standard escalation determines how far this country goes. There are two kinds of livelihood standards:living substance and human right. But we should not try to lash the government just because we are not satisfied with it. We should keep advice and telling the truth to help the government to become more democracy and powerful.

It is not military the only benchmark for defeating the enemy of CHina. It is about the livelihood standard escalation determines how far this country goes. There are two kinds of livelihood standards:living substance and human right. But we should not try to lash the government just because we are not satisfied with it. We should keep advice and telling the truth to help the government to become more democracy and powerful.

The western system works because it is not real democracy. Europe and U.S run on aristocracy veiled in democracy, and that's how they keep a functioning society. Europe is still ruled by the old dukes and barons, and the U.S by the corporate interest. At heart, their system is no different from China's. Real democracy doesn't work because it causes too many directionless policy changes and corruption.

I have seen how real democracy functions in many South American countries. Despite centuries of relative peace (almost untouched by WWI/WWII), these countries remain absolutely poor.

This thread is about the chinese economy! In china, there are many people like you who worry about china, me is the one of them, I also hope the chinese government, CCP can make more reform in the official insitution. Your concernment is right, but you post it in the wrong thread, that is all. In the world, there are many panic, do we don't live for these? Step by step, anything have a phase.

Taiwan now the world's leading chip maker

"Taiwan now the world's leading chip maker
Peter Clarke
1/13/2012 10:28 AM EST

LONDON – As of July 2011 Taiwan held 21 percent of the world's installed wafer fabrication capacity, surpassing Japan and Korea and taking the top spot for the first time, according to market research firm IC Insights.

Japan held 19.7 percent and Korea 16.8 percent, the Americas region has 14.7 percent of the IC manufacturing capacity and China, with 8.9 percent now accounts for more wafer capacity than Europe.

These figures include local manufacturing capacity regardless of the headquarters location of the companies that own the fabs. So Samsung manufacturing in Austin, Texas contributes to the Americas percentage.

JgPHE.jpg

The ROW "region" consists primarily of Singapore, Israel, Malaysia, but also includes countries such as Russia, Belarus, India, South Africa, and Australia.

IC Insights indicated as Taiwan holds 25.4 percent of manufacturing on 300-mm diameter wafers, 18.7 percent of 200-mm wafer capacity, and 11.4 percent of 150-mm wafer capacity. In 2011, 300mm wafers represented 64.6% of the country's installed capacity, 200mm wafers, 29.2%; and 150mm wafers accounted for 6.1%.

Taiwan also holds the industry's largest share of capacity dedicated to "not so leading-edge" 40- to 60-nm process geometries."

ZctLE.jpg

China's Haval H5 SUV from Great Wall Motors automobile manufacturer

China's car sales set to race ahead | Stuff.co.nz

"China's car sales set to race ahead
by Hamish Rutherford
14/01/2012

ky5Db.jpg

MARKET MOVER: Matthew Foot, of Brendan Foot Motors, is predicting strong sales for vehicles such as the Great Wall Motors. (Credit: EMMA ALLEN/FAIRFAX NZ)

Mathew Foot, dealer principal at Brendon Foot Motors in Lower Hutt, quickly breaks into a sales pitch for his latest brand, Great Wall.

The Chinese-made truck will be sold "brand new, petrol, 2.4 litre, leather trim, all the gears, for 25 grand," about $5000 less than the strikingly similar looking 2008 Holden Colorado with 30,000 kilometres on the clock.

"The guy who's going to look at this is the guy who has got a construction or a roading company, wants to put his guys in that, but doesn't want to spend $40,000 on a Hilux," said Foot, whose father began selling cars in 1973.

The dealership recently expanded, taking over space used by a former Honda dealer to accommodate both Great Wall and fellow Chinese brand Chery, which manufactures a range of small cars. Next year he expects to begin selling Chinese-made vans, believing small-business owners will be attracted by the cheaper up-front cost, with the same rate of depreciation available as more expensive Japanese models.

New Chinese cars will undercut Japanese vehicles by at least $10,000, although Foot knows that as the brands build credibility, they will compete with used cars, still undercutting many on price.

"The economy is tight, people are looking for value for money," Foot said. "New Zealanders are not brand snobs."

Demand, it appears, already exists. On the basis of two full-page newspaper advertisements for the trucks placed earlier this year, the dealership was selling a dozen utilities a month even before the franchise properly launched.

He is not alone. Ateco, the company responsible for importing everything from Fiat to Ferrari into New Zealand, now has 11 Great Wall dealerships.

The company, which also imports the vehicles into Australia, sold 10,000 Great Wall vehicles in its first 18 months operating across the Tasman and believes the next 10,000 would be sold in a year.

Sales are slowly building here, too. In October, 46 Great Wall trucks were sold, putting the brand in the top-10 biggest sellers of small commercial vehicles for the first time.

Having been an early dealer of Kia, the smaller of the major Korean car brands, Foot knows well how new regions can build in credibility, but believes the Chinese can do so faster.

"We see a big future with it. The Japanese took 25 years to establish a motor business and the Koreans took 10. We think the Chinese will do it in four or five."

China's car market is already massive. In 2009 it surpassed the United States to become the world's largest manufacturer, and in 2010 a combined 17 million was the largest annual production from a single country in history.

The industry believes Chinese car companies will inevitably become major players over time, though to what extent and over what period there is disagreement.

Clive Matthew-Wilson, New Zealand editor for the Dog & Lemon Guide, said the quality of cars currently coming out of China was variable, but this would improve markedly as the industry matured. As the Chinese domestic market became more saturated, manufacturers would be forced to expand quickly around the world to maintain growth.

"In about two years the Chinese will flood the world with cheap cars in the way we've never seen before."

The Chinese expansion here could be boosted indirectly through regulation.

From January new emission restrictions will prevent virtually all Japanese cars manufactured before 2005 from being imported, a move which importers warn will lead to sharp increases in the price of some popular models such as the Subaru Legacy.

A Transport Ministry source was sceptical about how much that would help the Chinese, because they were not offering what would be short in supply.

"New Zealanders, generally, want to buy cheap white station-wagons, and the new import rules could make those harder to come by. What the Chinese are making is small, white hatchbacks, and there's no shortage of those coming out of Japan."

New car sellers warn of a price war.

Perry Kerr, chief executive of the Motor Industry Association, whose members are the new car sellers, said that there was little doubt that Chinese manufacturers would become established brands over the next 10-15 years. However, rivals would respond.

"Do I see the likes of Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda, just rolling over? Not likely.

'These are huge multinational companies that will retain market share, potentially at any cost.'"

Last edited by a moderator:

well well well. a human rights face from china. interesting. i wud be following your conversation. i hope you guyz will keep it genuine and clean to help us get the true picture of china rather than only that from western media. infact, you guyz are like chinese private media for us. :)

well well well. a human rights face from china. interesting. i wud be following your conversation. i hope you guyz will keep it genuine and clean to help us get the true picture of china rather than only that from western media. infact, you guyz are like chinese private media for us. :)
learn chinese and visit Chinese forums, there are hunderd of millions like him, the '50 cent party' terminology were originated from Chinese forum at least 15 years ago, and it is the phrase used extensively on those hard core right-wing communists``my political view is a bit lean towards liberalism, but never turst western style hypocrisy, as I have been living their for decade.

If you want to see a real china, just go for it by yourself.Indian is not that kind of unwelcomed in China as you hear from Indian and western media. Human right is a problem in China need to be improved, but China goverment really did lots pushing the economic growth in china to enhance people living standard, from which Indian goverment should learn experience. Every country has it's merit and flaw, just don't make it seem too perfect.

When bombs dropped on your head where would go find your human rights? 1840 1860 1888 1895 1900 1904 1919 1931 1937 1950

Democracy reforming is important in the long run. the precondition is we should not sacrifice stability.we should find a equilibrium point between.what is heck of bombing with political human right?

I did not say china should follow exactly the way western elaborating democracy.At least civilian should have more say in the decision of the country and election of government officer. It is very stupid to have a up bronze leading you even do not know where the heck he is poping out? Many Chinese think democracy reforming is a poisonous to us which might bring out instablization and turbulence. I will tell you it is wrong. In the reforming process, might be some foreigh guys with ulterior motive will take this gap as opportunity to overthrow the goverment for causing turmoil and instable in china. AS a clever man, we should tell who is doing something for what, not to be utilized. 1989 we still remember!

Back
Top Bottom