What's new

China detains 900 over toxic meat scandal

jhungary

MILITARY PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
China
China detains 900 over toxic meat scandal - Yahoo!7

BEIJING (AFP) - China has detained 900 people for crimes including selling rat and fox meat as beef and mutton, the public security ministry said, in another blow to the nation's food safety.

News of the three-month operation, which related to meat products, added to a string of scandals that have galvanised public concern over food safety in China, from recycled cooking oil to dangerous chemicals in baby milk powder.

Altogether there were "382 cases of water-injected meat, fake mutton and beef, diseased meat, toxic and harmful meat products", the ministry said on its website on Thursday.

"Nine hundred and four suspects were arrested, more than 20,000 tons of various types of fake or inferior meat products were confiscated."

The crimes ranged from sellers in eastern Jiangsu province making fake mutton from fox, rat and chemicals, and others in southwestern Guizhou province mixing hydrogen peroxide solution with chicken claws.

The scandal was widely discussed by users of China's popular Sina Weibo microblog.

"Anything can be done once humanity is gone," said one user.

"We are nearly immune to hundreds of poisons, should we thank these fantastic businessmen?" wrote another.

China's top court on Friday announced its first ever detailed guidelines for the punishment of food-safety related crimes, the state-run China News Service reported.

The crimes listed included supplying meat from animals which died of illness, selling food with excessive amounts of chemical additives, and falsely advertising food products, the report said, citing China's Supreme People's Court.

The public security ministry said the sting on the toxic meat was part of a wider probe into food safety issues, from the discovery in March of thousands of dead pigs floating down a Shanghai river to the problem of "gutter oil".

Cheap recycled cooking oil is available nationwide made illegally from leftovers scooped out of restaurant drains.

One of China's worst food safety scandals hit in 2008 when the industrial chemical melamine was found to have been illegally added to dairy products, killing at least six babies and making 300,000 people ill.
In another recent incident, US fast food giant KFC was hit by controversy after revealing some Chinese suppliers provided chicken with high levels of antibiotics, in what appeared to be an industry-wide practice.

Why is there always food scandals in China. As much as I like Chinese food, this gives me the feels that China government is not looking after its people

if I have to choose between Toxic food and Preservative, I will choose preservative anyday

China did very good in solving this problem,hopefully it will not show up again.

As for Indians, there are more food scandals in ur country than world combined. Id advise you not to troll, as your govt is too weak to even notice that its meat is fake or not. Thanks

if I have to choose between Toxic food and Preservative, I will choose preservative anyday

At least we know there are preservatives in our food.
You can't tell if toxic is in food or not.

At least we know there are preservatives in our food.
You can't tell if toxic is in food or not.

lol. Scientist are now creating a sort of preservative that we can eat safely.

How about developing some Toxin we can eat?? Maybe if Chinese able to do them, they will get a nobel prize or something like that :lol:

I'm glad this issue is being dealt with. It usually takes a crisis for the government to start taking the issue seriously. Safe good, clean water and clear air is what Xi promised. Safety standards must be set and the rules must be implemented. Arrest the crooks and punish them.

Why is there always food scandals in China. As much as I like Chinese food, this gives me the feels that China government is not looking after its people
The same thing happens in all developing countries. These places with toxic meat are some of the poorest places in China. Major cities in China are relatively free of these problems.

China gets more attention because it is a big country moving from "developing" to "developed" status and Chinese people are demanding better rule of law (through participation on such social media like Weibo). The arrests were finally made because Xi Jinping came to power to crack down on corruption.

How do foreigners eat in China then??

Disgusting :tdown:

Who knows what is there in your food when you are dining in China.

How do foreigners eat in China then??

Disgusting :tdown:

Who knows what is there in your food when you are dining in China.

yeah these cases are sick but they are not worse than very small kids who have to end their lives under violent sex crimes

Those inferior meat stuffs are sold mostly to underpriviledged families; sad for our poor folks

Glad that the Government is taking serious actions on these crooks

It seems that we have a lot more foreign visitors who come here than india - year after year!

Back
Top Bottom