What's new

China climbs the Nature ranks

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
CHINA is making steady gains in the world of scholarly scientific publishing according to the latest Nature journals analysis and by 2014 may be second only to the US in influence in science publishing.

According to the Nature Publishing Index 2011 China, published today as a supplement to Nature, China published more than six per cent of scientific papers.

Papers with authors from China represented 6.6 per cent, or 225 of the 3425 papers published in the 18 Nature-branded primary research journals 2011, up from 5.3 per cent, or 152 papers in 2010. This compares to 12 papers in Nature journals in 2000.

Importantly, China now publishes more than 10 per cent of the world's most cited scientific research. It increased its share of the top one per cent of highly cited scientific articles from 1.85 per cent - 127 of 6874 articles - in 2001 to 11.3 per cent (1158 out of 10,238 articles) in 2011, and now ranks fourth globally.

"By 2014, China could surpass Germany and the UK, who currently hold second and third places,'' Nature China editor Felix Cheung said.

The US share of highly influential research dropped from 64.3 per cent - 4420 out of 6874 articles - in 2001, to 50.7 per cent (5190 out of 10,238 articles) in 2011.

The analysis noted of the 225 Chinese papers published in 2011, 48 were published in Nature Communications which launched in April 2010.

Within China, the top performer was the Chinese Academy of Sciences. It was followed by: the University of Science and Technology of China, Peking University, Tsinghua University, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Xiamen University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, University of Hong Kong, Nanjing University and BGI Shenzhen.

"People generally consider Peking and Tsinghua University as the big two in China,'' Mr Cheung said in a statement. "Although the USTC has yet to earn the same level of fame as Peking and Tsinghua University, the reality is that all three institutions are in the same league when it comes to publishing high-quality research.''

Top 10 Chinese publishing institutions, 2011

Chinese Academy of Sciences
University of Science and Technology of China
Peking University
Tsinghua University
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Xiamen University
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
University of Hong Kong

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Good that we are steadily increasing our share in Nature and Science publishing. I have full confidence in the CAS national labs.

USTC is really impressive with much small scale of faculty and student but did really good job as compare to PKU and THU. Xiada is another surprise. I was thinking that Nanjing U or Zhejiang U is gonna be on the short list.

I'm surprised no Fudan or HUST. Not surprised no Wuda. Wuda been going down for 20 years.

China, with more than 1.3 billion people who are deeply influenced by national and family cohesiveness of Confucianism doctrine it is inevitable for her to create many talents in various fields. China did not have a chance to nurture her young generations since the late Qing Dynasty because she was poor and weak. Now it's the time and it won't be long before she'll take over the US in this area although I don't think it matter much in terms of comparison.

I'm surprised no Fudan or HUST. Not surprised no Wuda. Wuda been going down for 20 years.

Which HUST? Dong, Nan, Xi, Bei, Zhong?

By the way I was impressed by Wuda's Memorial Archway, "学大汉武立国".

images

China, with more than 1.3 billion people who are deeply influenced by national and family cohesiveness of Confucianism doctrine it is inevitable for her to create many talents in various fields. China did not have a chance to nurture her young generations since the late Qing Dynasty because she was poor and weak. Now it's the time and it won't be long before she'll take over the US in this area although I don't think it matter much in terms of comparison.

Chinese culture is pretty flexible. I'm surprised by how conservative some countries that talk about "freedom" all the time actually are. Actually, China is considered one of the more secular and liberal societies in the world.

华中科技大学 official abbreviation is HUST

By the way I was impressed by Wuda's Memorial Archway, "学大汉武立国".

images

也只有大门值得欣赏,最近几年从武大出来的消息无一例外都是负面的,什么教授互殴,贪污科研经费等等都是从武大出来的。

Chinese culture is pretty flexible. I'm surprised by how conservative some countries that talk about "freedom" all the time actually are. Actually, China is considered one of the more secular and liberal societies in the world.

华中科技大学 official abbreviation is HUST

也只有大门值得欣赏,最近几年从武大出来的消息无一例外都是负面的,什么教授互殴,贪污科研经费等等都是从武大出来的。

You don't say. I figured it out by Wuda. One thing I don't like Wuda is a university ranking system cooked out by someone from Wuda which deliberately rank my old school below THU.

I am also surprised that Fudan is not up there. They have a pretty good bio-medical program. We are still a long way to go comparing with usa's output.

Back
Top Bottom