What's new

China Butt Hurt Over Battlefield 4..Bans game

Gaming is Still Filled With Outrageous Chinese Stereotypes

View attachment c09ed9e95b90ab522ac47e8f956b5eab.jpg
Gaming is Still Filled With Outrageous Chinese Stereotypes
Image Credit: EA, DICE
When the video game publishing giant Electronic Arts released a China-centric expansion to their military shooting simulation Battlefield 4, they likely expected controversy — and they got it. The Chinese government allegedly issued a ban on the game, claiming it "endangers national security."

Battlefield 4

Subtitled "China Rising," the trailer for Battlefield 4 is narrated by a Chinese general, who claims that for years his people have built "their toys, their shoes, even their flags," while "enduring their condescension and biding our time." He then announces, "Finally the moment has come," for "now [America] will know our greatness." With the rogue general launching an attack on American forces, the fight is taken to four new levels on the Chinese homeland, described as "exotic."

View attachment da8c50842178fff753329c1018ff40b7.jpg

It's understandable that such an introduction would ruffle a few feathers in the nation that is being both overtaken and portrayed as a warmonger. In response, the game was allegedly banned for "demonizing the image of China in a new form of cultural aggression," while also "discrediting China's image abroad and distorting the truth in an effort to mislead young people."

Numerous media outlets have since removed the report, and some online commenters who claim to be Chinese have noted that news of the ban is false. It certainly would be difficult to ban something that hasn't been officially released in the country. That being said, the ban isn't unimaginable; games have been banned before, and Battlefield 4 either implies treachery in the Chinese military, or that China has an interest in some day conquering America.

More alarming than the supposed ban, however, is the fact that China, a country on the rise and inextricably linked with the U.S., is possibly feeling a sense of "cultural aggression" because of repeated jingoistic portrayals in console gaming — an industry largely dominated by prominent American and Japanese studios, with little Chinese involvement.

Older games like Hearts of Iron and IGI 2 were both banned in China for their negative depiction of the country, but recent games haven't been much better. The portrayal of China in gaming continues to disappoint, propagating feelings that hardly suit any nation, let alone one so inextricably tied to us.

Sleeping Dogs, developed by the Canadian studio United Front Games and published by a branch of the Japanese giant Square Enix, depicts Hong Kong as a hotbed of criminal activity, where even the most noble police officer spends his time burning off criminals' faces. While that is the premise behind much of Hong Kong martial arts cinema, they at least make a distinction between their common citizens and criminals; Sleeping Dogs does not.

Splinter Cell portrays a Chinese general and former revolutionary as a cowardly drunk who shoots his own men; this hardly makes for good viewing in Chinese minds.

9db31dfa4e28b6f7c6133c0601b5452d.png

And, perhaps most emphatically, the mega-blockbuster hit Call of Duty: Black Ops II depicts the People's Republic of China as its primary antagonist. That's right: The enemy is not a group of Chinese thugs or even a rogue government member, but rather the republic itself, which attempts to goad Russia into war with the U.S., attacks the Indian border, and tries to kill a pro-U.S. Afghan president.

Japanese-developed games offer similarly offensive portrayals. The legendary Metal Geardepicts a nuclear launch against China, while the 2008 American hit Fallout III showcases a world destroyed by a "Sino-American War" in the year 2066. And China isn't alone in being villainized: Russia is still a popular video game villain, as are the Middle East and Asia Pacific.

All these portrayals effectively create an "us versus them" mentality, propagating an image of China as something to be wary of. And while China is certainly a very different country with very different values, that doesn't mean that it should exist so frequently as a villain. China's view of America in video games isn't much better, but bigotry should never be reciprocated. Americans were outraged when a game allowed players to assume to the role of identified enemy combatants, so it should at least be understandable why the Chinese may not be too happy with these images either.

Last edited by a moderator:
but mw series and now ghosts , they look more realistic , black ops 2 seems more advance warfare , but still black ops is better than bf series

I still to this day think MW2 looks better than BO & BO2. MW2 was so full of glitches & hacks that I eventually gave up on it. The COD series has lost it's luster with me a bit. I used to be like the masses, run out and buy the newest game right away. Now, not so much. I think they take us gamers for granted now. I'll probably get Ghosts eventually though.

I still play WAW most often...mainly interested in WWII sims because of historical interest. (My Il2 gets far more play than my modern flight sims too). Most of the servers I go to are heavily modded...the last Black-Ops was waaaay too run N' gun for my taste.

I know quite a few people that still love and play WAW. As for gameplay. Not a big run n gunner myself. More a tactical player then that. I remember so many people screaming that many of the sub-machine guns were way to overpowered. :guns: That and the fact that quick scoping is a bit on the insane side too.

hahahahah well i thought mw series will go further , but my little objection that they present nato countries as well a bit , in mw3 there was the bbest chance to improve campaign, but adding more mission in europe but overall it was a nice game !

MW is way too much like an arcade, but BF isn't much better at that aspect either. The most realistic one is ARMA, but its controls are a nightmare to work with. I wish someone made a shooter game with the realism of ARMA 3, but with simplified control like BF4. The leaning system in BF4 is brilliant I gotta say, frees up the Q and E buttons for other functions.

I once played BF3 in my friends house. The multiplayer was a bit disappointing. Honestly, I enjoyed playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 more than Battlefield 3.

As for MW series, it was ruined. CoD 4: Modern Warfare was good. I enjoyed the game, especially the story mode. MW2 was meh but MW3 was horrible. I think they should of end the MW series with CoD 4.

Hearts of Iron was banned? I thought the Chinese were muy proud of their WWII contributions.

man its just a game nothing more the chicoms are making a big thing out of nothing typical

Not false. The best way is making a video game demonizing the americans

National Security threatened by a video game? More like national insecurity...

:lol:

More

JEW USA satanist freemassons against agressing China, Russia (everybody actually) to make the NWO in Jerusalem

Moron the game is developed by DICE a Swedish game development company. However, it is published by EA an American company. By the way Battlefield 4 is a good game.

Do you see many swedish soldiers in the game?

buyed premium version i love that game specially the multiplayer, and the long range sniping is totally awesome,real physics involved, measuring bullet drop and calculating your shot and getting a headshot over 1100+ metres is totally satisfying.:D. Does This mean we wont be having BF4 servers in china in origin? :(

Guys here busy and are bragging.Truth is that US is at end of its empire.That country may have much wheat but free of other sources.Highest range of rapes and drug users and also Mexian influx.A country with unknown race and nation filled up by blacks Mexian and others.An coward army which dont go to fight without huge rate of wage and much many sexual problems.and ...

Back
Top Bottom