What's new

Can Pakistan Be Secular?

I sincerely hope Pakistan is NEVER secular LIKE INDIA. Anyway that's another debate.

I will let it go since you have the right to hold your views(even if they are distorted) and as said its another debate...

Pakistan for the most part is a secular country. The problem of bringing in full on secularism is mostly part of passing legislation, which is extremely hard in Pakistan as there rarely is a full majority party. Never in its history have pro-theocracy parties ever taken power. The people never vote for religious parties.
Are you sure about the bolded part??? Even in India people still vote for religious parties...Though the number is decreasing but politicians always get votes by dividing people on religion, caste and what not...India has been a democracy since its birth and i would be highly surprised if situation is better in Pakistan who has not seen light of democracy(in other words mature voters) that often...

This is what i get from Wiki and see scores of religious parties...

List of political parties in Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now you and I can debate on what is their political weight but saying that people do not vote for them is an overstatement as per my POV...

Most of the bugs in the constitution are there since its inception. Ahmedi law, Blasphemy law, then Hudood Ordinance.Most constitutional amendments come on for more pressing concerns. Doctrine of necessity, Article 58-2b, electorate system, blah blah blah.I'm sure if more and more Pakistan actually sat down to debate secularism, the nutjobs who equate secularism with being anti-religion will take a back seat. Freedom to profess religion would only increase through secularism. If our Muslims are true Muslims they have nothing to worry about. The doh numbri Muslims would automatically go on and do their own thing.

More or less agree here....

^^ Actually Asim is completely correct. People in Pakistan don't vote for religious parties. A religious party has never come to power in the centre. There is only one instance of a religous party coming into power in a smaller province, and that too during military rule as part of a coalition of parties. This is historical fact. There is no example in Pakistan that mimics the BJP's rise to power in India. No Islamic religious party can come close to pulling off, in Pakistan, what a Hindu religious party pulled off in India.

In response to some of the other questions raised previously:

"There are two Jinnahs not one. The younger one was a nationalist who was dubbed as an ambassador of Hindu-Muslim unity because of his efforts in keeping the independence movement united. But at the same time, he was also a constitutionalist and a democrat of the old British school. He, therefore, incrementally had grave reservation about Gandhi's use of religion and mass mobilization as the means to independence."

Was Jinnah a Secularist

i feel a lot of people make the mistake of putting secularism and atheism in the same basket

they are totally different....

I can say that I don't think religion should have an overwhelming role in most state affairs. But Pakistan being an Islamic country, it will never officially be a secular country; though in Pakistan for the most part, people dont judge people on their religion and are fairly democratic by nature

i think the way America got its first black president, Pakistan would be well-served getting a non-Muslim leader. The minorities would feel further empowered and it would be good for social fabric and for the image of Pakistan.

No, Jinnah was absolutely correct. I think Gandhi paid for his mistake... he was the one who introduced communalism into independence politics, and then after partition realized his mistake. He took a more moderate view for which he was killed. This proves that communalization had done the damage... the hardliners were willing to kill Gandhi himself.

Communalization was done by Gandhi or by likes of Mr. Jinnah we can debate all day...However truth of the matter is that Gandhi was in favour of united India...This itself gives an inclination of how communal he was...The man almost killed himself fasting to save muslim lives when Partition was taking place is another good example of his communal stature...

Unfortunately it was power hungry bigots who thought Dividing the country would be the only way to satisfy their hunger for power and misleaded the masses resulting in more than million deaths...

If you had 500M muslims in a United India we very possibly could have been at daggers drawn because both sides would see the other as a bigger threat, and each side would be strong enough to really wage an unending campaign against the other.

Just speculation at its best.... However the same happened even during partition...A million death - loss of property - homes - a complete mess cannot be justified saying that things might have been bad...The divide between political parties(read i am stressing on political parties and not common man) was cleverly planted by British who used to shower favours to Mr. Jinnah's muslim league and that too for obvious reasons...DIVIDE and RULE...Gandhi was a leader for Muslims, Sikh, Hindus, chiristians and everybody..Through out his life he promoted hindu-muslim bonding...

I would advice you to read book "Mahatma Gandhi And Hindu-Muslim Unity" by Ch M Naidu...In case you feel the book might be biased becase of a Hindu Name on it i have got another link for you...

http://www.dur.ac.uk/anthropology.journal/vol16/iss2/panter-brick.pdf

See above.

As for how the world sees him, I don't wish to comment on that. I think there is a simplistic view which is propagated, and a more nuanced view that people who have actually studied history hold. I don't care for uninformed views, even if they are popular.
If you think world is dependent on Simplistic views propagated around and do not have the wisdom to differentiate between good and bad then i can do nothing about it...Sorry !!!

History has certainly been distorted. In my view the most unfortunate turning point in the independence politics of United India was when Gen. Smuts met with Mr. Gandhi in South Africa and obliquely told him that while his South African campaign would not succeed, it would be better if he returned to India to play politics there... the rest is history.
A barrister who could have lived a well-to-do life came all the way to India where he spent rest of his life fighting for the independence half naked, jailed for million times...lived a very humble life and become a lifeline for India's struggle for independence..was almost dead while fasting at the age of 78 to save lifes of Muslims...I am sure he would have not come to India to do politics...

The fact that Gandhi mixed extreme Hinduism to such a degree, with satyaghira and Lord knows what else, clearly pushed the muslims away. He was asked by Jinnah to either not Hinduize the independence movement, or not claim leadership of all Indian citizens. He refused both.
I have already stated above the reasons why it was not Mahatma Gandhi who pushed muslims...care to explain what you mean by Hinduize independence movement???

Here is an extract from the book by Arthur Herman (Gandhi & Churchill: the epic rivalry that destroyed an empire and forged our age), from page 404:

"But by insisting that the Congress he had created was the sole voice for all Indians, and by embracing his role as a Hindu religous figure as well as political sage, Gandhi was alienating Jinnah and other Muslim nationalists even as the goal they had worked for together since 1916 drew near."

Its rather strange that you rebuked my earlier post where i showed how world looks at Mahatma by saying those are uninformed views but do not mind sharing references which coincides with your views...

gandhi was for united hindustan......our country-peoples' ancestors were not, clearly.

get over it

we are happy to have our country, it is a blessing. And we want it to progress and move forward and co-exist peacefully, as we are a very responsible country.

Now solomon I like you to think fairly, since the birth of Pakistan how many riots against Minorities have taken place in Pakistan as compare to let us say our neighbourly country India.

I just for your information my dear mate ....Two Extra Talented people cant stay in a room becoz each one tries to show their own talent and that creats a hullabow in the room.....that same thing applies over here...Hindu and Muslims in India are like these two talented people and each one want to dominate each other....and for your kind information Muslims in India are more than the Population in Pakistan so you cant call them as minority in india if you are looking at their no...

I think first Riot took place at the time of Division Of Republic India in 1947 and you know that reason very well...becoz you know who wanted a separate country not India....(Now we are really happy for that:yahoo:)before that there wasnt a single Riot between Hindu and Muslims....I think that has created some tension between two community...and that leaded to the situation right now ....so you cant blem the indian secularism for this..you need to blem the politician who asked for the separate pakistan.

last but not least...There are no riots in pakistan as you meationed..but I read a lot about SHIA and SUNNI riots there. We have HINDU/MUSLIM/SIKH/Catholic religion in India but if you guys have majority of Muslims then SHIA-SUNNI riots should not happen..!!!:hitwall::hitwall:

However, I think this article misses out on one very important point. For all *practical* purposes, Pakistan is a muslim majority country with secular laws/practices *today*. Barring the FATA area, which has not thus-far been in the mainstream of Pakistan society, there is really no imposition on muslims in the matter of their faith.

Pakistan has secular laws? Really? The fact that Pakistan has blasphemy laws - which are applied throughout the country - negates any other secular practice of society.

"But by insisting that the Congress he had created was the sole voice for all Indians, and by embracing his role as a Hindu religous figure as well as political sage, Gandhi was alienating Jinnah and other Muslim nationalists

Possibly, but these so called Muslim nationalists did not come even close in terms of Popularity to Gandhi.

No, Jinnah was absolutely correct. I think Gandhi paid for his mistake... he was the one who introduced communalism into independence politics, and then after partition realized his mistake. He took a more moderate view for which he was killed. This proves that communalization had done the damage... the hardliners were willing to kill Gandhi himself

Gandhi didnt introduce Hinduism in politics, nor was he communal, you're sadly misinformed. A byproduct of biased and blind nationalist history no doubt. He followed the standard Indian practice of taking the garb of a saint - for Muslims and Hindus alike - to gain a mass following. Shahid Amin in his book - "Event, Metaphor, Memory" - researches this so called Gandhi effect. According to him, Gandhi was not a static signifier during the independence struggle - Hindu, Communal, etc - like you suggest, rather, he was appropriated by people of different religious backgrounds as one of them. Won't go into details as this is an offtopic discussion, but lets not bandy half truths as history.

I dont care much for labels, Islamic country, secular country, whatever...

Pakistan should be a free country, minorities should be allowed to feel safe in Pakistan, they should be offered opportunities as equals, only then we can progress, case in point, immigration to the USA pre and post WWII.

After all, what does the white in the Pakistan flag symbolise? By denying these minorities the rights they should have, you deny the very essence of Pakistan, which was a country built for a minority itself.

That is the correct attitude. Words like secular dont mean much until they are actually practiced. Pakistan needs to understand that a modern nation state in the 21st century cannot afford not be secular.

I sincerely hope Pakistan is NEVER secular LIKE INDIA. Anyway that's another debate.

A debate that you would lose.

Actually Asim is completely correct. People in Pakistan don't vote for religious parties. A religious party has never come to power in the centre. There is only one instance of a religous party coming into power in a smaller province, and that too during military rule as part of a coalition of parties. This is historical fact. There is no example in Pakistan that mimics the BJP's rise to power in India. No Islamic religious party can come close to pulling off, in Pakistan, what a Hindu religious party pulled off in India

This is easily explained. The majority religion does not feel as threatened in a Muslim country, so there would be no need to support or vote for a religious party. The rise of the BJP in India was due to a backlash of so called Muslim appeasement that was felt in middle class Hindu India during the 80s and 90s. These people felt (misguidedly of course) that their religion was threatened and hence voted for a fascist party. It is known to happen. Keep in mind though, even here BJP never won any majority, nor will it ever win one.

i feel a lot of people make the mistake of putting secularism and atheism in the same basket

You can't put them in the same basket, they refer to completely different things. Atheism is a personal practice, Secularism essentially refers to the practice of a State.

^^ Actually Asim is completely correct. People in Pakistan don't vote for religious parties. A religious party has never come to power in the centre. There is only one instance of a religous party coming into power in a smaller province, and that too during military rule as part of a coalition of parties. This is historical fact. There is no example in Pakistan that mimics the BJP's rise to power in India. No Islamic religious party can come close to pulling off, in Pakistan, what a Hindu religious party pulled off in India.

This is distortion of truth at its best...Equating BJP to a mere hindu party just shows your ignorance about political system of India...would it be unfair for me to expect for you to Understand the equations first and then comment??? Have you even read the manifesto of BJP ??? Do you even know the stature of then PM Mr. Atal Bihari Vajpayee??

BJP Election 2009 Manifesto

I know the proximity with RSS and other right wing parties however BJP is not a communal party...It surely was but then they realized by playing religion they can never be a national party...It was a slow and painful transition and as an opposition they are doing pretty well...Let me tell you another reason...BJP is termed as perty for Middle Class.... Let me tell you Indian electoral system has passed many tests and is mature enough to take on issues at its merit than religion...Secondly it even asserts the secularism in India because if a so called Hindu Party do not win elections in 80% Hindu India then what other proof you need???

In response to some of the other questions raised previously:

"There are two Jinnahs not one. The younger one was a nationalist who was dubbed as an ambassador of Hindu-Muslim unity because of his efforts in keeping the independence movement united. But at the same time, he was also a constitutionalist and a democrat of the old British school. He, therefore, incrementally had grave reservation about Gandhi's use of religion and mass mobilization as the means to independence."

Was Jinnah a Secularist

That is what i am challenging...Can you please explain when did Gandhi bring in religion into struggle for Independence???

I will let it go since you have the right to hold your views(even if they are distorted) and as said its another debate...

Are you sure about the bolded part??? Even in India people still vote for religious parties...Though the number is decreasing but politicians always get votes by dividing people on religion, caste and what not...India has been a democracy since its birth and i would be highly surprised if situation is better in Pakistan who has not seen light of democracy(in other words mature voters) that often...

This is what i get from Wiki and see scores of religious parties...

List of political parties in Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now you and I can debate on what is their political weight but saying that people do not vote for them is an overstatement as per my POV...

More or less agree here....
PPP, MQM, ANP (current coalition) secular liberal parties.
PML-N, PML-Q, PTI (current opposition) secular conservative parties.

Unlike in India where the BJP a highly Hindu nationalist party, Pakistan has never had a government form out of pro-theocratic parties. I never said they aren't there, or that there aren't people who will vote for them. But they never get any significant number of votes.

Pakistan has a very small percentage of non-Muslims. The push never comes from the populace to think out of the box on issues of secularism as there are always more pressing concerns.

Back when the 1973 constitution was being formed and these laws were injected in, it was a time when the East Pakistan issue was boiling, games were being played to overthrow the PPP, Zulfiqar was paranoid about who is his friend and who is his frenemy, and in that desperation he mixed up his politics with the religious parties who forced him to make Pakistan into Islamic Republic of Pakistan and all the other theocratic stuff.

Hindu and Muslims in India are like these two talented people and each one want to dominate each other....

and for your kind information Muslims in India are more than the Population in Pakistan so you cant call them as minority in india if you are looking at their no...

baseless lies.

I think first Riot took place at the time of Division Of Republic India in 1947 and you know that reason very well...becoz you know who wanted a separate country not India

'india' wasnt even a united country to begin with; and yes Muslims of the subcontinent wanted a seperate homeland (which they earned and got in the year you specified). Accept it and move on.

before that there wasnt a single Riot between Hindu and Muslims....

whatever it is, ask yourself why the Muslim League was created in the first place. It will answer your questions ;)

so you cant blem the indian secularism for this..you need to blem the politician who asked for the separate pakistan.

"indian secularism"

ooookay. :woot:

There are no riots in pakistan as you meationed..but I read a lot about SHIA and SUNNI riots there. We have HINDU/MUSLIM/SIKH/Catholic religion in India but if you guys have majority of Muslims then SHIA-SUNNI riots should not happen..!!!:

most of those took place in Karachi in early 1990s, when Saudi and Iranians were funding different sectarian outfits

you can bring up the riots in my native Parachinar ---though that was mostly tribal disputes which became sectarian due to tribal affiliations, not religious.

india is mostly hindu; so poor dalits and shudras (untouchable hindus) shouldnt be facing discrimination from ''superior'' brahmins; would you agree :cheers:

People in Pakistan don't vote for religious parties. A religious party has never come to power in the centre. This is historical fact. There is no example in Pakistan that mimics the BJP's rise to power in India. what a Hindu religious party pulled off in India.

I think that Hindu religious party PM.. Mr. Atal Bihari Vajapayee offered hand of friendship to pakistan, and as we know that was the first genuine try from india,he tried a lot to gain that trust but as usual .!!! Backstrabbing from pakistan.... He arranged no of deligate meetings to have a talk...and if you say current government as secular then I think you need to think a lot about that after the partition becoz at the time of partition this was the only party which was on rule. Look at their TRUE effort where they tried to arrange a foreign deligate meeting..and answer would be "Very less" as compaire to that Hindu religious party...

FYI that Hindu Religios party has Pulled In(As you Mentioned)

1)VICTORY IN KARGIL WAR
2)Missile program thrust.
3)Nuclear Test.
4)GDP from 4.48 to 7.86 in just 5year and lot more.!!

So please study first before you say anything ...!!!!

That is what i am challenging...Can you please explain when did Gandhi bring in religion into struggle for Independence???

Dramatization of the actual moment where Jinnah broke off from Gandhi. Gandhi kept using Hindu terms. Jinnah a member of the All India Congress, a person whom Gandhi himself called the greatest ambassador of Hindu-Muslim unity - said he's done.

Gandhi is on record to have said things like "I'm a Hindu therefore I'm an Indian". His use of Hindu sybolism like Sachagarah and Ahimsa, was again making people go like wtf, is this an Indian movment or a Hindu movement?

One of the biggest blows was the forceful imposition of singing the Vande Mataram upon all students in India.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Hindu religious party PM.. Mr. Atal Bihari Vajapayee offered hand of friendship to pakistan, and as we know that was the first genuine try from india,he tried a lot to gain that trust but as usual .!!! Backstrabbing from pakistan

the attack on your parliament was carried out by Kashmiri seperatists

Look at their TRUE effort where they tried to arrange a foreign deligate meeting..and answer would be "Very less" as compaire to that Hindu religious party...

it is an interesting phenomenon. Pakistan under Army rule and india under hindu-party rule -- is when both countries came close to peace.

i remember even Advani came to his native Karachi and paid respects to Quaid-e-Azam sahib at the Mazar. A few years later, Jaswant Singh would hurl compliments and praise towards our nation's father -- and both men were shunned by BJP :lol:

FYI that Hindu Religios party has Pulled In(As you Mentioned)

1)VICTORY IN KARGIL WAR
2)Missile program thrust.
3)Nuclear Test.
4)GDP from 4.48 to 7.86 in just 5year and lot more.!!

So please study first before you say anything ...!!!!

Kargil wasnt even a war. Just look at the numbers, that should tell you something.

anyways this is totally irrelevant, and therefore negligible.

moving along!

I seem to have struck a nerve.

Pakistan has secular laws? Really? The fact that Pakistan has blasphemy laws - which are applied throughout the country - negates any other secular practice of society.

Balderdash. You can look at the very short list of controversial cases associated with these laws, and contrast them with just once incident of communal rioting in India and the truth bears itself out. There is uproar in Pakistan against these laws. However, I see the butcher of Gujrat, Modi, in power in India. Don't wax poetic about the negation of secular practices. Apnay giraybaan mein jhaankiyay.

Possibly, but these so called Muslim nationalists did not come even close in terms of Popularity to Gandhi.

Possibly, but that just proves that muslim leaders were not popular amongst Hindus and vice-versa. This phenomenon clearly didn't exist in 1857, but it certainly took hold after Gandhi's return from South Africa and the subsequent hinduization of the Congress.

Gandhi didnt introduce Hinduism in politics, nor was he communal, you're sadly misinformed. A byproduct of biased and blind nationalist history no doubt. He followed the standard Indian practice of taking the garb of a saint - for Muslims and Hindus alike - to gain a mass following. Shahid Amin in his book - "Event, Metaphor, Memory" - researches this so called Gandhi effect. According to him, Gandhi was not a static signifier during the independence struggle - Hindu, Communal, etc - like you suggest, rather, he was appropriated by people of different religious backgrounds as one of them. Won't go into details as this is an offtopic discussion, but lets not bandy half truths as history.

This may be your perspective, but it is not the truth. And the book I just quoted is not part of the educational curriculum in Pakistan - another topic that Indians seem to be hugely mistaken about. But let's leave that mental reprogramming for a different thread.

As I said, while I have already cited a few books and other references, the fact of the matter is that history speaks loudly and clearly on this subject. Jinnah was the poster child for Hindu Muslim Unity, and it was Gandhi that alienated him by communalizing politics, bringing in Hindu symbolism, Hindu religious lingo, Hindu dogma, Hindu slogans, the promise of Sanskritized schools post-partition and so on and so forth. It was then that Jinnah declared, "Gandhi baghal ka churra hay" - "Gandhi is a dagger disguised!"

We don't have to agree on this subject, by the way. We are already far, far removed from the thread title. We can agree to disagree and just move on.

That is the correct attitude. Words like secular dont mean much until they are actually practiced. Pakistan needs to understand that a modern nation state in the 21st century cannot afford not be secular.

Non-muslims in Pakistan are free to practice their faith as they wish. Earlier in this thread I provided a long list of facts about Pakistani society viz this issue, and also brought up Governmental support (logistics and financial) to assist non-muslim citizens and pilgrims/visitors. I find the Indian view of Pakistan so highly caricatured that it never ceases to amaze me. Mr. Cowasjee, a Parsi, writes often in Dawn and is known for his scathing - and I mean scathing - attacks against politicians, sitting Prime Ministers and Presidents. Not a hair on the man's head has been harmed due to any of this. He is invited to discussions on TV channels regularly where he abuses (literally) the "muslim" leaders of Pakistan. Everyone listens to him and respects him. There are innumerable examples...

This is easily explained. The majority religion does not feel as threatened in a Muslim country, so there would be no need to support or vote for a religious party. The rise of the BJP in India was due to a backlash of so called Muslim appeasement that was felt in middle class Hindu India during the 80s and 90s. These people felt (misguidedly of course) that their religion was threatened and hence voted for a fascist party.

Hindus feeling that Muslims were being "appeased"... so being the majority they vote in a radical Hindu party, that also happens to be, in your own words, fascist. A party that has a single muslim representative, and him too, for show. If that doesn't make the case for the two nation theory, I don't know what the hell would.

You can't put them in the same basket, they refer to completely different things. Atheism is a personal practice, Secularism essentially refers to the practice of a State.

Of course you can't. But there are a large number of idiots in Pakistan who don't fully grasp the meaning of either and thus equate the two words. If you go back to the start of this thread, you will note that this is the very position I took to begin with. That Pakistan is, for all practical purposes, secular. I contrasted law and practice in Pakistan with countries like Saudi Arabia. The differences are massive. Theocracies and Secular states do not have perfect definitions which allow for binary classification - there are numerous shades of gray. For example, the United States allows parents to vote on what is taught in schools. As a consequence, evolution is not taught in most southern states. Even in the US, a Christian majority view can impact children of all faiths and background. In the context of these shades of gray, Pakistan is far, far removed from a theocracy and far closer to the absolute notion of a secular state, if there is such a thing.

With that said, I conclude my participation in this discussion. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom