What's new

Can India be a great power?

sonicboom

Reaction score
Can India be a great power?

By Dr Haider Mehdi | Published: February 2, 2010

Part II

It was Mahatma Gandhi who once said: “Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.” Centuries before Gandhi, the Roman poet Virgil had stated: “Anger carries the mind away.” Pietro Aretino, the 15th century Italian author, categorically defined “anger” as an anti-intellect human emotion: “Angry men are blind and foolish…” Aretino declared. Modern social-psychology claims that anger is an emotional risk in communication, both in understanding it and in the process of communicating.

Many many Hindu Indians are angry - very very angry. This happened after this writer’s article Is India a Great Power? appeared in The Nation of January 26, when they unleashed a barrage of offensive emails and inconsistent political counter-attacks devoid of logical arguments or reason. And yet, the overall effect of this hostile reaction has provided the opportunity to once again make the point that has been completely lost on Indian observers, foreign policy makers, political gurus, neo-con pundits and some readers of the said article - pure anger has replaced reasonable understanding!
Let us go back to some fundamental ground realities: Yes, India is a massively large country. Yes, it is an enormous economy. Yes, India’s foreign exchange reserves are tremendous. Yes, India has a high profile in the eyes of the US and the Western world in the present geopolitical environment.

But the question is, does all that make India capable of being a great world power? More specifically, the question becomes vitally important when India’s entire march “forward” is in the context of a socio-economic-geopolitical “status-quo” imposed globally by the US-West’s notion of ideological capitalism and hegemonic military-political imperialist doctrine. India is striving to find its place in global leadership “within the box,” imaging “great power” status precisely on the US-West’s lines. India’s fire-power and military ferocity (as claimed in wiping out China and Pakistan in a matter of four hours) is not exactly what will make it a “great power.” Thinking so is a paralysis of its political mindset inconsistent with the present day needs of the masses all over the world - and particularly so to the majority of the Indian population living below the poverty line. And that is precisely where the problem lies.

Consider the seductive psychological treatment meted out to India’s consciousness in the last decade or so. Supposedly, India is in the forefront of a so-called cultural renaissance, jump-started by the US-West’s incessant “hail India” media-propelled intoxication: After Hollywood, Bollywood is the unquestioned entertainment leader of the world (is film entertainment the opium of the starving poverty-stricken masses of India?) Cricket - yes, India is the world leader (it has turned a “gentlemen’s” game into money-making scams truly in the precise image of “Mafioso-ism”- hasn’t it?) And the list goes on of Western capitalism’s unholy encroachments on the moral-social-spiritual fibre of the Indian society. Isn’t this entire phenomenon of “India First Now” a part of the manipulative US-West’s political strategy? When seductive pleasure is over, India will certainly get a wake-up call to the harsh realities of its sad existence. For India, the cruel truth is that it has a poverty-stricken disfranchised population.

Let us be fair enough in conceding the fact that Pakistan has made a mess of its country in the last six decades and is continuing to do so presently as well. And it is here, in this admission of a factual ground reality, that the crux of my argument lies for India’s future politics: a vitally important reason for Pakistan’s 60 years of a continued political abyss is in the Pakistani ruling elite’s love affair with the US. This alliance with the US-West’s global, ideological, military and political objectives and goals has driven Pakistan to its present state. Unfortunately, India is heading in the same direction now with its recently found love affair with the US.

This does not mean that America is an evil nation. But it is quite certainly an evil empire. The problem lies fundamentally with the American ideological foundations: Capitalism thrives on the basis of worldwide military conflicts, political domination and economic exploitation of other nation’s resources as well as subtle control of their political leaderships and elite ruling groups. In modern times, media and psychological manipulations have taken a central role in this process of penetrating in the decision-making structures of Third World countries. It empowers the US-West and thereby to intervene and to influence political outcomes in favour of themselves, as well as benefiting a select group of local elites in several of these nations. Pakistan has been a victim of this exploitive process and now India stands at the verge of falling into the same trap.

The angry Indians should understand that once a nation is hooked up to this kind of seductive US-West’s strategy and diplomacy, then there is no exit from this route. It slowly and gradually leads to social disharmony widening gaps between the rich and poor. The masses remain deprived, marginalised and helpless - hypnotised by a scandalous view of “greatness” seduced by media blitzes and tall grandiose nationalist claims.

At the present stage of human civilisation, masses all over the world no more aspire to imperial grandeurs, neither do they identify with the glorious empires. They do not want wars, military conflicts, skyscrapers in urban centres, lofty ideals and claims of unprecedented military power capabilities to wipe out other nations and their innocent people in a matter of minutes.

I would assume, and it seems a reasonable supposition, that common Indians, all of them, wish to see an India that would take care of their gloomy and undoubtedly difficult existence, wipe out their deprivations and sufferings of poverty, disease, un-wellness, socio-cultural disorders, sociological disparities and ever-waning hopes of a truly socio-cultural renaissance. I would also assume that the majority of Indians would prefer peace, stability, and prosperity over war, instability and lingering poverty.

The US-West’s seduction and ideological romance with India will not deliver any of the above for its masses. Ideological “capitalism” is simply not compatible with the needs of the present day world and is not able to offer resolutions to the suffering masses problematics.

Why doesn’t India espouse a visionary dream of a new world order and become an important global player to achieve a political entity for itself as a modern spiritual state that places pre-eminence to the masses welfare above and beyond a notion of a “Great Empire”?

Why doesn’t it think of its future as a nation of “saints” and moral spiritual sagas; a nation of peace - and moral high ground - a neighbour worthy of an emulative model of true human emancipation? After all, in spiritualism, that is how “greatness” is defined. Isn’t it?

That is the question I wish to pose to these angry Indians!
After all, India has the potentials: Wasn’t India the champion of the “Non-Aligned Movement”?

Perhaps, these angry Indians never carefully listened to Mahatma Gandhi! They certainly didn’t! It was Mahatma who once said: “Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.”

The writer is an academic, political analyst and conflict-resolution expert.

Email: hl_mehdi@hotmail.com

Revisiting: can India be a great power?\ | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Part 1

By Dr Haider Mehdi | Published: January 26, 2010

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Opinions/Columns/26-Jan-2010/Is-India-a-global-power

Last edited:
India is far away from being great power in terms of everything, and i mean everything.

:usflag::coffee:

Who is even trying, I think outsiders think India want to be one not India.

Many many Hindu Indians are angry - very very angry. This happened after this writer’s article Is India a Great Power? appeared in The Nation of January 26, when they unleashed a barrage of offensive emails and inconsistent political counter-attacks devoid of logical arguments or reason. And yet, the overall effect of this hostile reaction has provided the opportunity to once again make the point that has been completely lost on Indian observers, foreign policy makers, political gurus, neo-con pundits and some readers of the said article - pure anger has replaced reasonable understanding!

Is article suggesting only "Hindu Indians" (not others) are angry that India is not yet a great power. Sometimes I wonder how much narrow mindedness one can have. :what:
What the hell is this neo-con Pundits anyway, specially in context of Hindu Indians??

Let us go back to some fundamental ground realities: Yes, India is a massively large country. Yes, it is an enormous economy. Yes, India’s foreign exchange reserves are tremendous. Yes, India has a high profile in the eyes of the US and the Western world in the present geopolitical environment.

If this are the ground realities then what actually we are discussing? :D

But the question is, does all that make India capable of being a great world power? More specifically, the question becomes vitally important when India’s entire march “forward” is in the context of a socio-economic-geopolitical “status-quo” imposed globally by the US-West’s notion of ideological capitalism and hegemonic military-political imperialist doctrine. India is striving to find its place in global leadership “within the box,” imaging “great power” status precisely on the US-West’s lines. India’s fire-power and military ferocity (as claimed in wiping out China and Pakistan in a matter of four hours) is not exactly what will make it a “great power.” Thinking so is a paralysis of its political mindset inconsistent with the present day needs of the masses all over the world - and particularly so to the majority of the Indian population living below the poverty line. And that is precisely where the problem lies.

The answer of the first line is: with all these things listed in last paragraph, why it can not be? And what is being super power on US-west lines??
Apart from military might, India is also progressing in every other field which, ofcourse were not mentioned by author. As taking out two nations is concerned, this statement is twisted in so many forms that even Gen. Kapoor might have lost it by now. :lol:

Consider the seductive psychological treatment meted out to India’s consciousness in the last decade or so. Supposedly, India is in the forefront of a so-called cultural renaissance, jump-started by the US-West’s incessant “hail India” media-propelled intoxication: After Hollywood, Bollywood is the unquestioned entertainment leader of the world (is film entertainment the opium of the starving poverty-stricken masses of India?) Cricket - yes, India is the world leader (it has turned a “gentlemen’s” game into money-making scams truly in the precise image of “Mafioso-ism”- hasn’t it?) And the list goes on of Western capitalism’s unholy encroachments on the moral-social-spiritual fibre of the Indian society. Isn’t this entire phenomenon of “India First Now” a part of the manipulative US-West’s political strategy? When seductive pleasure is over, India will certainly get a wake-up call to the harsh realities of its sad existence. For India, the cruel truth is that it has a poverty-stricken disfranchised population.

This para is more enlightening as this clearly shows the frustation and anger of author. Author is jealous of Indian success in any field be it entertainment, cricket etc. Author seems to have some personal hatred against capitalism as well!!

Let us be fair enough in conceding the fact that Pakistan has made a mess of its country in the last six decades and is continuing to do so presently as well. And it is here, in this admission of a factual ground reality, that the crux of my argument lies for India’s future politics: a vitally important reason for Pakistan’s 60 years of a continued political abyss is in the Pakistani ruling elite’s love affair with the US. This alliance with the US-West’s global, ideological, military and political objectives and goals has driven Pakistan to its present state. Unfortunately, India is heading in the same direction now with its recently found love affair with the US.

If someone thinks India can be with US side, there is no cure for him/her. How about getting some knowledge on Indian politics.

This does not mean that America is an evil nation. But it is quite certainly an evil empire. The problem lies fundamentally with the American ideological foundations: Capitalism thrives on the basis of worldwide military conflicts, political domination and economic exploitation of other nation’s resources as well as subtle control of their political leaderships and elite ruling groups. In modern times, media and psychological manipulations have taken a central role in this process of penetrating in the decision-making structures of Third World countries. It empowers the US-West and thereby to intervene and to influence political outcomes in favour of themselves, as well as benefiting a select group of local elites in several of these nations. Pakistan has been a victim of this exploitive process and now India stands at the verge of falling into the same trap.

My guess was right. Author is not happy with capitalism.
India at the verge of falling into some trap....no way. We had evil Chanakya once, who for our luck, wrote a lot of things. :devil:

The angry Indians should understand that once a nation is hooked up to this kind of seductive US-West’s strategy and diplomacy, then there is no exit from this route. It slowly and gradually leads to social disharmony widening gaps between the rich and poor. The masses remain deprived, marginalised and helpless - hypnotised by a scandalous view of “greatness” seduced by media blitzes and tall grandiose nationalist claims.

Once Pakistan was dictated by US never means India will do the same. We are too big for that. Besides this our action never suggest to bend against out national interest.

I would assume, and it seems a reasonable supposition, that common Indians, all of them, wish to see an India that would take care of their gloomy and undoubtedly difficult existence, wipe out their deprivations and sufferings of poverty, disease, un-wellness, socio-cultural disorders, sociological disparities and ever-waning hopes of a truly socio-cultural renaissance. I would also assume that the majority of Indians would prefer peace, stability, and prosperity over war, instability and lingering poverty.

Someone trying here to let we Indian know about India!!
We know all these and working on these things and for author's discomfort things are going in right direction.

The US-West’s seduction and ideological romance with India will not deliver any of the above for its masses. Ideological “capitalism” is simply not compatible with the needs of the present day world and is not able to offer resolutions to the suffering masses problematics.

My question is, did author lose his job due to recession?? :rofl:

Why doesn’t India espouse a visionary dream of a new world order and become an important global player to achieve a political entity for itself as a modern spiritual state that places pre-eminence to the masses welfare above and beyond a notion of a “Great Empire”?

Yar...iska kuch karo....he is too desperate.

Why doesn’t it think of its future as a nation of “saints” and moral spiritual sagas; a nation of peace - and moral high ground - a neighbour worthy of an emulative model of true human emancipation? After all, in spiritualism, that is how “greatness” is defined. Isn’t it?

That is the question I wish to pose to these angry Indians!
After all, India has the potentials: Wasn’t India the champion of the “Non-Aligned Movement”?

That's it. Author is assuming India will side with US even it was never sided with US as well as one of the founder of NAM. :hitwall:

Perhaps, these angry Indians never carefully listened to Mahatma Gandhi! They certainly didn’t! It was Mahatma who once said: “Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.”

:lazy::lazy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for poverty etc. are concerned, India is well aware of those issues and working on those. Someone need to google it and he/she will get idea.
If these things are not in India, it would already be declared a super power.
Also going by unnecessary crying by author, I think we are on right way.

Lastly, I agree all these great/super power is not of much use. India does not take step to be a power but to improve the quality of life on Indians. India doesn't say it is striving to become some power other nations do.

Last edited:
Believe India was,is and remain great power.
Act like the citizens of great power does.
Take an oath to do atleast one good deed in 2010.(it can be anything. i.e. do not break traffic signals etc.)

At the end of 2010, we will be one step closer to be 'great Nation'.

Jai Hind.
2377c1c93266427552d6e25122353700.gif

Great is a relative term.

I wonder why there is so much concern abt India being great or not - less ( but not Nil among Indians) and more among non indians ?

I feel all we need to do is t do right & keep reforms initiated on course, the rest will follow.

No offences to anyone but its just what I think.

India has the ability and skills required to be a great nation. The talent of Indo-Pak is near to perfect. Since its a discussion about India being a strong and great nation and power, I'll not introduce or compare Pakistan here.

The abilities, devotion, skills, talent, har work and international exposure can make collectively (Plus a couple of more things) India a great nation. By size, India is a great country, as a nation and power development is needed.

But as long as India, or some policy makers of Indian governemnt, think that they are superior to all around and can get'em when and where they want, I believe its impossible for India to be a great power.

KIT Out

well what author is calling as SIDING with america...i would term that as a natural phenomenon sinct the opening up of indian market...
the problem with the older generation is that they still see (or want to see) india as a follower of soviet-union...india has followed that path in the past and result was just next to devastating....

now comes the poverty... author should have seen the poverty level 20 years ago...when owning a decent car was considered as a privilege..
with that said everybody in india is aware of the fact that a lot has been done and even more has to be done..no body has forgotten that and everybody is trying his best....we have one of the best brains as our PM and HM.

as much as NON-ALIGNMENT MOVEMENT is concerned.. i would like to ask author how much is that thing relevant today..??
should we follow it just for the sake of it...e
every nation's policy changes with time...so has india's ...what's wrong with that...???

even the new age miracle CHINA has changed its policy from MAO's time...

only one message from my side to indians-- keep up the good work and try your best...as every body here knows a thing involving HAATHI and dog....

this has become the lengthiest post ..i have written....whoooh..

Yes india is going to be one......

Few examples

1) Indian economy is going to bigger then Russia in 2013-14

2) Bigger then France and U.K. in 2020-21 even if india grow at current rate of 7.23%

3) Indian economy will 5th Bigest economy in the world in 2020-21.

So ya there is every possibility that india is going to great super power in 20 years.

But if you are talking about great Nation then India is already GREAT NATION.

Well I just dont know why other authors and observers think India will be a great power, super power military power whatever the heck they say. We Indians and our politicians dont even have a clue what they are telling and we are living in our own world...sheesh. Waste of time.

India should be looking to increase the Human Development Index of itself...currently it is (0.58) [still better then pakistans 0.54].... ranks 134 in the list of nations....

Frankly, if you ask me I am not interested in India becoming a great power. I will much rather have-

Every child in this country go to school during the day and not sleep on an empty stomach at night,

Every farmer able to live off the land he tills,

Every businessman able to get his permits and papers without bribing corrupt officials for a few stamps

And most importantly every citizen able to go to any place in the country without being made to realize his background and ethnicity

If all the above can happen I will believe my country to be great. Power or not, I don't care. We have this over-infatuation with power, military or political. Remember power gets you enemies. I'd be better off being a loved and respected medium weight than a hated heavy weight.

We only need to look at the Swiss or the Scandinavian countries. Are they great powers? No. Are their citizens facing any problems like the ones above? No. I will take that any day.

Back
Top Bottom