By-Elections 2013

A.Rafay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
NA-1 (Peshawar-I)

ANP leadership adamant to make Ghulam Bilour scapegoat

PESHAWAR: Leadership of the Awami National Party (ANP) seems hell-bent on making its elderly leader Ghulam Ahmed Bilour scapegoat in the by-election on National Assembly seat NA-1 (Peshawar-I) on which he recently lost to Pakistan Tehreek-e- Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan by a huge margin of over 65,000 votes.

Ghulam Bilour bagged 24,449 votes against Imran Khan, who polled 90,434 votes. However, the constituency fell vacant after the PTI chief, who won on three NA seats, decided to vacate NA-1 seat besides the one he won in his native Mianwali.

Asfandyar Wali Khan, president of ANP, at a recent news conference in Islamabad said that his party would again field Ghulam Ahmed Bilour in by-election on NA-1.Observers believe the plan to field Ghulam Bilour on NA-1 again would not augur well for the ANP stalwart who is a respected figure within the party circles.

They say that the second defeat to Bilour in such a short span of time would tarnish his image and it would not go well for the Bilours, as the popularity wave of PTI still grips the electorate in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, especially in Peshawar where it won all the four NA seats while its candidates emerged triumphant on 10 provincial assembly seats out of a total of 11 seats. “It will be a political suicide if Ghulam Bilour contests the by-election on NA-1,” said an ANP activist Hamid Iqbal.

Besides, there are chances that the allies of the PTI in provincial government, Jamaat-e-Islami and Qaumi Watan Party, may not pitch their nominee against PTI candidate on NA-1. “Ghulam Bilour’s nomination for NA-1 will not be justice to the leader of such a high stature in the circumstances that prevail,” said another ANP worker Khan Nazeer.

He added that Bilour is a senior ANP leader who showed magnanimity by accepting defeat without mincing words and attributed it to his party’s poor performance and bad governance. When contacted, Ghulam Bilour said he hadn’t decided yet to contest the election. “I have to consult party workers and organisation of my constituency and then will give my opinion to party leadership,” he added. To a question, he said, “I will abide by the decision of the party, however I will convey my opinion to the party”.

Ghulam Bilour, a popular figure in party’s rank and file remained close associate of Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan aka Bacha Khan and Khan Abdul Wali Khan. He is one of the senior most leaders of the party and is known for his bold and frank expressions.

The veteran politician lost his lone son Shabbir Ahmed Bilour in 1997 by-election in an exchange of fire between the supporters of PPP and ANP at a polling station in Wazirbagh. His younger brother Bashir Ahmed Bilour, senior minister in previous provincial cabinet, was also killed in a deadly suicide attack on December 22, 2012.

ANP leadership adamant to make Ghulam Bilour scapegoat - thenews.com.pk

NA-48 Islamabad

By-elections: PTI likely to field Asad Umar in NA-48

ISLAMABAD:
Asad Umar, economist- turned politician and party vice president, is likely to be the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) candidate for NA-48 Islamabad by-elections, sources said.
A party insider told the Express Investigation Cell (EIC) that PTI chief Imran Khan decided to field Umar in the by-polls for NA-48 after taking input from the party leaders who met him at Shaukat Khanum Hospital. A formal announcement to this effect will be made once the PTI parliamentary board endorses Umar’s nomination.

After a formal notification of the May 11 election winners, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) will announce the schedule for by-polls in constituencies to be vacated by winners of more than one seat.
The NA-48 covers most of the urban areas of Islamabad. It contains 30% rural population and majority of its voters turn up on the polling day for exercising their right to vote.
As a party vice president, Umar enjoys a good reputation within and outside PTI. He had joined PTI last year after resigning from Engro Pakistan. He was the chief executive of the company.
Umar manages policy work of PTI for different key sectors like the economy.
Javed Hashmi of PTI had won from NA-48 in the May 11 general elections. He had also bagged a National Assembly seat from NA-149. Hashmi preferred to retain his home constituency –NA 149—and vacate his NA-48 Islamabad seat.
In general elections, NA-48 of Islamabad has emerged as a stronghold of PTI. Its vibrant and emotionally motivated workers had made a good show for party nominee in the May 11 elections and finally secured Hashmi’s win from this constituency.
In 2008 Anjum Aqeel Khan of PML- N had won the seat. Aqeel Khan’s defeat in the May 11 elections may compel PML-N leadership to bring a new face as its candidate for NA-48. Since NA-48 is one of the two seats of Islamabad, it matters more than any other constituency in general and by-elections. Other parties like PPP, Jamaat-e-Islami and the ANP will also field their candidates for NA-48 to show their presence in the capital.

By-elections: PTI likely to field Asad Umar in NA-48 – The Express Tribune

Today is the day does any one know how many seats are there in total where these elections are conducted

p1_19.jpg

p1_46.jpg

p1_27.jpg

p1_17.jpg

Went to give the vote.

The guys over there (Polling agent, Policemen etc) said that most have been from PTI, and PTi is winning by the lokos of it. In the morning, it was mostly N but after 11 AM PTI made a big comeback.

But our polling station was mostly empty, not a lot of rush, the polling booth was empty!

There were 2 Army soldiers as well, but no untoward incident or rigging reported anywhere.

NA-48.

Went to give the vote.

The guys over there (Polling agent, Policemen etc) said that most have been from PTI, and PTi is winning by the lokos of it. In the morning, it was mostly N but after 11 AM PTI made a big comeback.

But our polling station was mostly empty, not a lot of rush, the polling booth was empty!

There were 2 Army soldiers as well, but no untoward incident or rigging reported anywhere.

NA-48.

what about NA # 1 ..i have heard that Balour is in very strong situation

Latest Stats
Leading Candidates in National Assembly
PML-N 5
PTI 3
PPP 1
ANP 1
PKMAP 1
MQM 1

Punjab Assembly Position
PML-N 11
PPP 2
PTI 2

KPK Assembly Position
Independent 2
JUI-F 1
ANP 1

Baluchistan Assembly
PML-N 2
Independent 1

Sindh Assembly
PPP 1

ANP on its way to make an upset in NA-1
Bilor 23050
Gul Badshah 14928

PTI is set to win from 2 PP seats from DG Khan and Rajanpur which is an upset. Also PTI is set to loose NA-1 and NA-71 both seats were vacated by Imran Khan and PTI is struggling to retain both seats.

PTI is in lead in PP-150 Lahore, and in NA-48 Islo..

Im really upset with the result of NA - 1. PTI leading in 3 NA seats.

PTI is set to win from 2 PP seats from DG Khan and Rajanpur which is an upset. Also PTI is set to loose NA-1 and NA-71 both seats were vacated by Imran Khan and PTI is struggling to retain both seats.

PTI is in lead in PP-150 Lahore, and in NA-48 Islo..

But does it matter? PTI's win in PP will have insignificant political impact since PML-N already has more than 2/3rd majority in Punjab. However, in NA where PTI is in tight race with PPP and MQM, the loss of two seats would have more marginal negative impact than gains in PP.

One result which made me happy is that Khawaja Salman Rafique is now in PP. He is the one who has been working on PML-N's education policy and will certainly be a great help for Shahbaz Sharif in Provincial Assembly

But does it matter? PTI's win in PP will have insignificant political impact since PML-N already has more than 2/3rd majority in Punjab. However, in NA where PTI is in tight race with PPP and MQM, the loss of two seats would have more marginal negative impact than gains in PP.

I didn't say any such thing, I just shared latest news. However I agree with whatever you've said above. PTI's internal rifts and few bad decision about by-elections are haunting PTI now, ticket to Ayla Malik, then her father and ticket at NA-1 to Gul Badshah..

I can't believe that we're loosing against Balor.. :hitwall:

Tsunami is there! PTI is winning in other seats.
In Karachi it seems that PTI's vote bank has shrunk significantly. No PTI candidate is even close to their main opponents.

ANP workers celebrating in Peshawar. Arial-firing

Interesting turn of events, Jamshed Dasti's brother now lagging Khar's of PPP.

Back
Top Bottom