What's new

Buner falls without a fight

Please explain? The second page chroncles the activities of Javed Mohammad.

The story I linked discussed a DCO named Jawed Ahmad. Seem two different guys. If you're suggesting the DCO takes orders from Javed Mohammad, then we've collusion and infiltration of the police ahead of the militants arrival.

Maybe the cops greased the skids a bit. If so, why'd they have to get two cops killed?

I know this-there are no hidden hands at play here except human nature and the usual accompanying emotions.

Please explain? The second page chroncles the activities of Javed Mohammad.

The story I linked discussed a DCO named Jawed Ahmad. Seem two different guys. If you're suggesting the DCO takes orders from Javed Mohammad, then we've collusion and infiltration of the police ahead of the militants arrival.

Maybe the cops greased the skids a bit. If so, why'd they have to get two cops killed?

I know this-there are no hidden hands at play here except human nature and the usual accompanying emotions.

Sorry, at first read I thought they were the same guys.

Pakistani members, please correct me if I am wrong here.In India we use "collector" / "Police Commissioner" etc. as the terms and I may get the following wrong.

A DCO is the head of executive of a district (which is a sub-division). A division commissioner is the head of a division.

And, there are some pretty confusing reports. The DCO of Dir was kidnapped and then released - he certainly is not a Jawed/Javed
DCO officer kidnapped in tribal Pakistan

Then there is "Khushal Khan" who is a DCO somewhere around there
(Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan)

Sources said that Malakand Division commissioner, Muhammad Javed and Swat DCO, Khushhal Khan also participating in the talks.

Maulana Sufi Muhammad- Govt. delegation talks underway

-----------------
So who is this Jawed Ahmed and where is he a DCO at ? And it seems like he does report to Javed Mohammad.

The best way to solve these internal securities immediately is a massive deployment of PA soldiers in Buner, Swat, and NWFP.

Now we see these "Taliban" militants are striking districts and localities that are held in esteem in Pakistan. Dirtying the pearl...

In response PA should strike and level infrastructure and any collective points and camps were the "militants' may reside. Intensify the attacks there, so that these militants will have to retreat further and further back to protect their infrastructure wherever that maybe.

I want to propose an offensive here. The PA should set up a security-ring perhaps like a "green zone in Iraq" this "security-ring" will circle Swat, Buner District, and surrounding areas. Security check post should be established, security patrols, and intelligence gathering should be executed intensely in this "security-ring".

The point of this security ring, is to isolate and trap these militants within these localities (Swat, Buner Dist. and surrounding areas). Doing so, will cut off supply lines, communications, organizational capability, and any potential striking power the militants/terrorist can muster against Pakistan. I'm sure we will see immediate results like greater security, less attacks and explosions, civilian protection, and more stability in those areas and beyond, and eventually the fall of the Militants.

Military offensives should be launched within the security ring, giving PA a controlled environment to fight in.

A1Kaid

Nothing is stopping the Pakistan army from doing this, and nothing was stopping the Pakistan army from defeating the talib when Musharraf was President -- so,... what gives?

We are told that Army does not want to get ahead of gthe civilain leadership - Ok fair enough, the civilian leadership cannot see it's duty to Pakistan and it's citizens, and apparently this means neither will the Army -- But we return to the example of Musharraf - Mushrraf saw his duty to Pakistan and Pakistanis clearly, why didn' the Fauj prevail then?

I should hate to think that the Army has played politics, has gambled and bet Pakistan, I should not like to think that, but I would like to know what's goin on

The BBC's Mark Dummett in Islamabad says if the government is trying to reassert control over the region, its efforts appear to be too little, too late.

The Taleban are reported to have moved several hundred men into Buner from the Swat Valley.

The government sent six platoons - up to 300 men - to deal with the insurgents.

yawn.Hit the snooze button, more foot dragging

Taliban Forces 60 Miles from Islamabad
April 23, 2009'

Associated Press

PESHAWAR,
Pakistan - Pakistani paramilitary forces have been deployed to protect government buildings and bridges in a district near the capital that has been infiltrated by the Taliban, an official said today.

The six Frontier Constabulary platoons arrived in northwestern Buner on Wednesday, days after militants from the neighboring Swat Valley began entering the area in large numbers - establishing checkpoints, patrolling roads and spreading fear.

The Taliban movement into Buner, which is about 60 miles (97 kilometers) from Islamabad, came after the provincial government agreed to impose Islamic law in Swat and surrounding areas in exchange for peace with the insurgents.
The U.S. and other critics warn the deal will embolden extremists to expand their presence in the northwest regions near Afghanistan.

"I think the Pakistani government is basically abdicating to the Taliban and the extremists," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told lawmakers in a hearing Wednesday in Washington. It was not immediately clear if the Frontier Constabulary forces deployed were aimed at driving the Taliban from Buner.

Syed Mohammed Javed, a government official who oversees the area covered by the peace deal, confirmed the deployment but would not say if it was in direct response to the Taliban. He said tribal elders were meeting to assess the situation.

Javed did not specify the number of troops involved, but a platoon typically has 30 to 50 members.

Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas, the Pakistan Army's chief spokesman, insisted the situation was not as dire as portrayed - saying militants were in control of less than 25 percent of Buner, mostly its north.

"We are fully aware of the situation," Abbas said. "The other side has been informed to move these people out of this area."

Pakistan's army has thousands of troops in Swat but none in Buner. Many police and government officials in Buner appear to have either fled or are keeping a low profile.

A police official, speaking anonymously out to fear, told the AP that the militants in Buner were broadcasting sermons by radio about Islam and are warning barbers to stop shaving men's beards.

The militants have established a base in the village of Sultanwas and have set up positions in the nearby hills, the official said.

Istiqbal Khan, a lawmaker from Buner, said the insurgents have established checkpoints and patrols.

President Asif Ali Zardari signed off on the peace pact last week in hopes of calming Swat, where some two years of clashes between the Taliban and security forces have killed hundreds and displaced up to a third of the one-time tourist haven's 1.5 million residents.

The militants in Swat agreed to a cease-fire. The agreement covers Swat and other districts in the Malakand Division, an area of about 10,000 square miles (25,900 square kilometers) near the Afghan border and the tribal areas where al-Qaida and the Taliban have strongholds.

Supporters say the deal will let the government gradually reassert control by taking away the militants' rallying cry for Islamic law.

Also Thursday, dozens of militants armed with guns and gasoline bombs attacked a truck terminal elsewhere in northwest Pakistan, burning five tanker trucks carrying fuel to NATO troops in Afghanistan, police said.

Mounting assaults on the critical supply line through the famed Khyber Pass are adding to worries that Pakistan is losing its grip on the northwest.

Gunmen attacked the truck depot near the city of Peshawar before dawn on Thursday, hurling gasoline bombs which set fire to the five tankers, said Abdul Khan, a local police official.

Security guards fled and the assailants escaped before police arrived, Khan said. Several truckers drove their vehicles out of the terminal to save them from the flames, which were later doused by firefighters, he said.

NATO and the U.S. military insist that their losses on the transport route remain minimal and have had no impact on their expanding operations in Afghanistan. However, they have been seeking alternative routes through Central Asia.

The chairman of the U.S. joint chiefs of staff, Adm. Mike Mullen, was in Pakistan Thursday for talks with Pakistani officials, the U.S. Embassy said. Mullen has been a frequent visitor to Pakistan in recent months. The embassy provided no details about his schedule.

I think the stupid Taliban inviting their A@# to be kicked now, enough is enough Pakistan should take them out now. No Swat nothing this is Pakistan democratic country. Whether they quit now or Pakistan Arm toast their A#$.

For months, the Pakistani military has been fighting militants who terrorized the region and now this??

"I think the Pakistani government is basically abdicating to the Taliban and the extremists," :what:

I think US needs to strengthen pakistani economy, train its troops in counter-insurgency strategies and empower the liberal mainstream, which i doubt will happen unless the pressure from India decreases.... I mean pranab called pakistan a failed state days later obama repeated words.. so you see India's diplomatic pressure is working.. to counter this pakistan needs to dismantle the terror network in ***.. Also most pakistanis think that the war on terror is America's war, not theirs, and that if America were to simply pack its bags and quit Afghanistan, the Taliban and al-Qaida would melt away and peace would automatically return this ideology should change...
till then kisses from taliban :sniper:

For months, the Pakistani military has been fighting militants who terrorized the region and now this??

"I think the Pakistani government is basically abdicating to the Taliban and the extremists," :what:

I think US needs to strengthen pakistani economy, train its troops in counter-insurgency strategies and empower the liberal mainstream, which i doubt will happen unless the pressure from India decreases.... I mean pranab called pakistan a failed state days later obama repeated words.. so you see India's diplomatic pressure is working.. to counter this pakistan needs to dismantle the terror network in ***.. Also most pakistanis think that the war on terror is America's war, not theirs, and that if America were to simply pack its bags and quit Afghanistan, the Taliban and al-Qaida would melt away and peace would automatically return this ideology should change...
till then kisses from taliban :sniper:

yet at the same time our beloved PM called them (pakistan) a victim of terror and not a sponsor of the same. he gave away decades of gains just to show he can force a peace.

yet at the same time our beloved PM called them (pakistan) a victim of terror and not a sponsor of the same. he gave away decades of gains just to show he can force a peace.

Not really! you see statements like these don't come out of the ordinary. I have seen your posts and then this one makes me wonder how can you not understand how international politics work.

Taliban Forces 60 Miles from Islamabad
April 23, 2009'

Associated Press

PESHAWAR,
Pakistan -

Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas, the Pakistan Army's chief spokesman, insisted the situation was not as dire as portrayed - saying militants were in control of less than 25 percent of Buner, mostly its north.

"We are fully aware of the situation," Abbas said. "The other side has been informed to move these people out of this area."

This is something strange, is the PA satisfied by losing 25% of it's territotry?

Also what does the good General mean by saying "The other side has been informed to move these people out of this area."

This is not something the citizens of the country would like to hear from their armed forces.

Not really! you see statements like these don't come out of the ordinary. I have seen your posts and then this one makes me wonder how can you not understand how international politics work.

IceCold

Frankly I do recognise what Pakistan faces now. I was clearly commenting on the anti-thetical nature of GoI which shoots itself in the foot. That is all.

I do understand the nuances of the International Politics and as one poster said "geopolitics" but to go on backfoot over application of pressure on relations of certain elements within ISI and terror groups leads me to wonder what exactly is the polity trying to achieve. You end up being confused and so does GoP about what GoI wants - so your antithetical approach does not help those in GoP who are willing to take Indian view point and see things and take concrete steps to address the issues.

I have seen plenty of posters here who now know that the gravest danger for Pakistan is this terror machine which has no boundaries. Today these groups are transnational and cutting across political ideology. If there is a policy of support to Kashmir specific groups yet opposition to TTP, there is bound to be hell to pay by GoP and the common citizen for this lack in clarity of thought and approach on behalf of GoP and PA.

You have to say - this is terror and it has no ideology and has to be dealt with, Kashmir is non-issue as of now. Its not going be solved in next 100 years also. Militarily or by negotiations. Only option (which had BJP been alone is power would have seen light of day) is to recognise LOC and divide the territory and move on ahead and not get bogged down by this issue which supersedes everything. Even if you dont agree to this viewpoint of mine, atleast chuck the issue for now and deal with the threat you have immediately in front of you and you can always rake up Kashmir at your own leisure and if you want can have a localised conflict (any ways no danger of escalation due to nukes being there) to further underline the gravity of the problem! Why link Kashmir to your combat operations against talibs when you may very well not live to fulfil your dreams if the Taliban were to topple the government?

Taliban start Buner pullout

Updated at: 1555 PST, Friday, April 24, 2009
Taliban start Buner pullout PESHAWAR: Taliban militants have started pulling out from Buner, where they had intruded on April 6 with all of their fighting gears and had kept patrolling the area letting loose a reign of terror among the peace-loving citizens of Buner, while the courts were locked and women were shut behind the doors by enforcing complete ban on their coming out of the houses.

Taliban had earlier asserted that they were invited to come here and they have come for preaching purpose only. Following intrusion of Taliban in Buner, the criticism against Swat peace agreement had intensified and its future was had endangered.

However, after Maulana Sufi Muhammad visit to Buner, Taliban agreeing to vacate Buner, started pulling out.

A senior official says Taliban militants have begun pulling out of a recently seized district of northwestern Pakistan and are returning to their stronghold in the Swat Valley. Syed Mohammed Javed, the top administrator for Swat and the surrounding region, says Taliban fighters abandoned their headquarters in the Buner region on Friday.

Javed says an Islamic cleric who mediated a peace agreement between the government and the militants helped persuade the Taliban to withdraw. The U.S. has sharply criticized the peace deal. The Taliban had used it to justify a push into the adjoining Buner district, bringing them to within about 60 miles (100 kilometers) of the capital.

Taliban start Buner pullout - GEO.tv

So now the title of the thread should be Buner regained without a fight.:enjoy:

Back
Top Bottom