What's new

Bullet trains for India with Indo-China Strategic Economic Dialogue

Do we really need bullet trains in India? And the answer is plain no. Airfare for economy class is very cheap in India, and we can't afford to invest a huge sum on a train system only for the elites, nor can afford useless maintenance expenditure.

Nah, this is all talk. I have spoken to some involved in this project and IR will go for Japanese or French companies. Why would india want to go for the knock offs of the tech when they can go to the source is French or Japeanse? Adtionally the Chinese HSR has a very sketchy safety record that has been mostly covered up by the ruling party.

guys lets not get into the same old chinese bashing. when the time comes the chinese will be allowed as well to submit their business proposals, it will be up to us to select the one most beneficial to us.

The problem is why are we even considering to build this when we have priorities that should be funded? This is not high on our list of priorities. Read my previous post. Education and Water are some of the biggest issues we are facing in India right now and in the future.

comon sense mate ,they are the fastest and they can travel in extreme conditions

Your answer showed lack of comprehension buddy.

The problem is why are we even considering to build this when we have priorities that should be funded? This is not high on our list of priorities. Read my previous post. Education and Water are some of the biggest issues we are facing in India right now and in the future.
studying the viability of a project isn't a bad thing in my opinion.
we had similar issues from people when delhi metro was being discussed.

Do we really need bullet trains in India? And the answer is plain no. Airfare for economy class is very cheap in India, and we can't afford to invest a huge sum on a train system only for the elites, nor can afford useless maintenance expenditure.

^^we can't afford to invest a huge sum on a train system only for the elites

This is the main issue
Please, India has the fastest growing middle class on he abet they are the target market for such a project. One should not build to ground realities of today but should build with the future in the mind. Your logic would see nothing ever built not even metros or swanky airports. India is a country of poor people but it is getting wealthier every year. Not only that HER brings about its own economic benefits.

^^we can't afford to invest a huge sum on a train system only for the elites

This is the main issue

Atleast someone is in sync with my views. After all how many of us will spend $100 on a train journey? It's time to set our priorities right, rather than just making a showpiece for visitors.

Nah, this is all talk. I have spoken to some involved in this project and IR will go for Japanese or French companies. Why would india want to go for the knock offs of the tech when they can go to the source is French or Japeanse? Adtionally the Chinese HSR has a very sketchy safety record that has been mostly covered up by the ruling party.
moreover, they(french/japanese) are more likely to go for local manufacturing and IR won't have to deal with the chinese antics of bringing their own workers.

Atleast someone is in sync with my views. After all how many of us will spend $100 on a train journey? It's time to set our priorities right, rather than just making a showpiece for visitors.
complained the lot who have personal bars at home :P
tu teh chup hi reh bakre :P

Please, India has the fastest growing middle class on he abet they are the target market for such a project. One should not build to ground realities of today but should build with the future in the mind. Your logic would see nothing ever built not even metros or swanky airports. India is a country of poor people but it is getting wealthier every year. Not only that HER brings about its own economic benefits.

In Brazil, one ticket for a 500km journey in a bullet train costs $120, will a middle class spend that amount on a silly train or a economy class plane?

In Brazil, one ticket for a 500km journey in a bullet train costs $120, will a middle class spend that amount on a silly train or a economy class plane?
the project viability studies will provide the data for your questions. even if the costs are same between air & train, it opens up more choices and increases passenger carrying capacity. i don't see why this is such a bad thing.

Sir, HSR rail in India is 8-12 years atleast away and by then a considerable amount more WILL be able to afford this. Sir, do you know what aspirtion or ambition is? You've got to aspire for better not be content with the status quo of today. It is all relative, I bet before the Delhi metro came into existence there were those saying no one would be able to afford to ride it or if was built just for the elites but now it is one of the few profit making metro on the planet and the ridership is outstripping supply!

Nobody is saying not to build and take projects. But there has to be a list of priorities. This has been the main problem since we got Independence. The future of India is her ppl. You encourage and develop her ppl and you will have powerful, lasting results. This is a no brainer buddy. Bullet Train tech is still not perfected. Let it mature a bit more. What is the problem with that?

One should not build to ground realities of today but should build with the future in the mind

Come on guy, you think water is not important for the present and the future. I suggest you read up on your Chemistry. Without water, there can be no life. Without Education, Democracy will become stagnate.

My folks are from Kerala, a state which has 4 airports I believe without Central Govt help. But the first thing Kerala did was educate the masses.

Sir, HSR rail in India is 8-12 years atleast away and by then a considerable amount more WILL be able to afford this. Sir, do you know what aspirtion or ambition is? You've got to aspire for better not be content with the status quo of today. It is all relative, I bet before the Delhi metro came into existence there were those saying no one would be able to afford to ride it or if was built just for the elites but now it is one of the few profit making metro on the planet and the ridership is outstripping supply!

Metro is a completely different matter to Bullet Trains. Metro serves a better purpose for any major growing city. I think the biggest issue for Metro was security which will also be a issue with Bullet trains. What;s surprising is how you and other s have not read up the accident that have occurred in CHina.

I agree, price is just one moot point. Look at how it is being developed around certain corridors only. The length is small and will only serve a fraction of the population. If you plan on building this properly, it should taking the map of India into consideration. Even then till the tech matures it not a good venture yet.

No one said fares of Delhi metro will be beyond the reach of daily commuters. And setting up infrastructure for high speed railways will require to move a large amount of population from the vicinity of railway tracks, politically not viable.

the project viability studies will provide the data for your questions. even if the costs are same between air & train, it opens up more choices and increases passenger carrying capacity. i don't see why this is such a bad thing.

The whole point of 'meeting the needs of middle class' will be lost if the fare is even 65-70% of the air fare.

complained the lot who have personal bars at home :P
tu teh chup hi reh bakre :P

Not me, that was @Orion Hunter i guess. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom