What's new

Book verifies Sharif’s version of coup

Lahori paa jee

Reaction score
President Pervez Musharraf’s account of the Oct 12, 1999 coup that removed Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif shows that two junior officers played a key role in ensuring its success.

In his book In The Line Of Fire, Gen Musharraf identifies these officers as lieutenant colonels Shahid Ali and Javed Sultan who secured two key installations for the army, the Prime Minister House and the President House.

The book confirms a lot of details given in another book ‘Ghaddar Kaun,’ that gives Mr Sharif’s version of the coup. Interestingly, both Mr Sharif and the president show a lack of trust in Lt Gen Ali Kuli Khan.

The president complains that the then army chief Gen Jehangir Karamat promoted Gen Khan over him although he was not a better officer.

In Mr Sharif’s book, his military secretary Brig Javed Malik says that the former prime minister did not trust Gen Khan because he had advised the army to topple him for forcing Gen Karamat to resign.

The president also talks about a corps commanders meeting where Gen Khan suggested a coup against Mr Sharif but Gen Karamat rejected the proposal.

“I had a small run-in with Ali then, because this was not fair play; it was self-promotion,” the president writes.

He recalls that Gen Karamat’s resignation caused ‘great resentment in the army, as soldiers and officers alike felt humiliated.”

Defending the army’s reaction, the president says: “I know that in western democracies, military personnel on active duty, especially the chiefs, are not supposed to make political statements. But then, in western democracies neither do the heads of government and state perennially drag army chiefs into politics.

“Where such a practice is rampant, an army chief cannot be blamed for getting involved, if he acts sensibly.”

The two books also give similar details about how the former prime minister planned Gen Musharraf’s removal from the army, holding meetings in Rawalpindi, Lahore, Multan and Shujabad.

Both books also say that Mr Sharif made an unscheduled visit to Dubai to finalise the details of the move against Gen Musharraf. Both books also say that the former prime minister had kept his son involved in the planning. In ‘Ghaddar Kaun,’ Hussain Nawaz acknowledges that his father had asked him to write the speech he was to deliver after appointing a new army chief.

Both books also say that the former prime minister consulted his father on matters of state although he was neither a government official nor an elected representative.

The two books also confirm that the Triple One Brigade, which is based near Islamabad, played a key role in this coup as in several previous coups.

Both books show that the troops sent to seize the Prime Minister House scuffled with soldiers already deployed there but the situation was quickly brought under control.

The former prime minister’s military secretary Brig Javed Malik complains that military commandos who supported Gen Musharraf hit him in the stomach with a rifle.

“Ziauddin’s last question was to ask Shahid Ali how many troops were involved in the operation. Shahid Ali bluffed: a battalion-size force had surrounded the Prime Minister House and three more battalions were deployed outside, he said.

“On hearing this, Ziauddin, Akram, and the military secretary looked very nervous and moved into the building immediately.”

Link

Mushy's accounts are full of contradictions.

If he and Karamat did not trust Kuli Khan for his plans to topple government, What different did Mushy do on 12th Oct 1999.

And this also confirms that army had already planned to move against PM if he removes the a chief. Now this is strange. PM has all the constitutional rights to sack anyone and appoint anyone.

Also the Supreme Court judge by storming him with local thugs?

Clearly NS was exercising extra-constitutional rights. Also the coup did not happen till the point where Musharraf was not allowed to land! The army had to force a coup and secure Musharraf's landing.

Musharraf was promoted due to his relationship with Mian Sharif (NS's father). He was considered trustworthy and expected to follow Sharif's line.

I would start a separate thread of the supreme court storming issue

Clearly NS was exercising extra-constitutional rights. Also the coup did not happen till the point where Musharraf was not allowed to land! The army had to force a coup and secure Musharraf's landing.

Musharraf was promoted due to his relationship with Mian Sharif (NS's father). He was considered trustworthy and expected to follow Sharif's line.

Why NS felt the need to divert Mushys plane and not allow it to land in Pakistan?

Asim you answer it and then i will reply why

Mushy forced into retirement Chief Justice of Pakistan and other supreme and high court judges.....purely due to the fact they would not violate their oaths they had taken under th 1973 constitution...which was in force at the time of Mushy conducted his coup.

Those judges that violated their oaths and swore allegence to mushy's mickey mouse order were the ones to hear the petition challenging his coup.

If this is not the worst case of gerrymandering in a supreme court what else would be?

Also the coup did not happen till the point where Musharraf was not allowed to land! The army had to force a coup and secure Musharraf's landing.
A Coup would have been planned weeks and months in advance.

You don't just give some guy a call "Look they aren't letting me land, do a coup!" and within the next 2 hours have the entire country, government, judiciary, assembly's etc. on on knees.

A coup would have been planned before hand. I won't believe "I did the coup becuase they didn't let me land" theory of Musharraf. Does the General really think peopel would buy his theories that are no better than childish lies?

Sure, I'm not saying Nawaz was not a crooked politician. He well may have been, but Musharraf isn't a little Buddha either. He is just as crooked. :-/

Rayc Sir was right imho when he says that the coup was done cuz otherwise General Musharraf would have been court marshalled. And now he's at the end of his utility so is trying to make the most of it.

I believe 2-3 years from now, the Musharraf's would be well settled in U.K. or Good Ol' Estoda Unidos!

What NS did on 12th October 1999 was to save himself and his country. He tried to quell the preplanned coup but failed.

Have a look at US foreign office statement a week before 12th october. US spokesman warned Pakistani army of any adventureism. Dont you think NS knew of what was going to happen when ISI has to report to him.

And lemme tell you another secret. Before taking off from colombo Mushy raised his fist and said "Let the mission be successful". I say this because a Pakistani general there at the moment is a relative.

What operation was he talking about and what did u expect any PM would have done

What NS did on 12th October 1999 was to save himself and his country. He tried to quell the preplanned coup but failed.

Have a look at US foreign office statement a week before 12th october. US spokesman warned Pakistani army of any adventureism. Dont you think NS knew of what was going to happen when ISI has to report to him.

And lemme tell you another secret. Before taking off from colombo Mushy raised his fist and said "Let the mission be successful". I say this because a Pakistani general there at the moment is a relative.

What operation was he talking about and what did u expect any PM would have done

in addition to what you said...which is matter of fact and history.....mushy also prematurely retired a Lt General who he suspected of informing Nawaz of his machinations vis-a-vis coup plans.

in addition to what you said...which is matter of fact and history.....mushy also prematurely retired a Lt General who he suspected of informing Nawaz of his machinations vis-a-vis coup plans.

His name was Lt. General Tariq Pervaiz - Corps Commander Quetta

About the Kargil operation, he said only General Musharraf, General Aziz, General Mahmood and the area commander had knowledge about this. He revealed that he had no intention to remove General Musharraf from the post of Chief of Army Staff despite the Kargil incident. He further disclosed that the decision to sack General Musharraf had been taken after Press reports about the removal of Corps Commander Quetta Gen Tariq Pervaiz.

The PML (N) Quaid said that he had removed Gen Tariq Pervaiz at the request of General Musharraf, but he added that the impression, which was given in the news, was that he (Musharraf) removed Gen Tariq for having a meeting with him (Nawaz).

Revealing the truth, he said he had asked General Musharraf to contradict these reports and when he (Musharraf) refused to do so, he had taken the decision to dismiss him as COAS.

He said that he had written autobiography but “I cannot say with certainty whether I will be able to publish it or not.”

Link

And Musharaff did any better? He handpicked people to run GoP and all the major public owned companies.

If Pakistan Army can deploy its force and make a coup in 1 or 2 hours, they've got to have the swiftest deployment force in the whole world along with some one who makes decisions in the blink of the eye.

So all this talk by Mushy about his competence and his commando training is all hogwash?

Back
Top Bottom