What's new

Book Club Thread -Lets read more and talk less

Snomannen

Reaction score
Country
Macao
I'm opening this thread since, as we all know, this section is bustling with some terrible noise recently since there are several interesting events/ news happening around. You are all so excited and some of the members here have been spreading tons of meaningless boring childish Mars language posts which pollute the forum and hurt people's eyes.

So why don't we talk a sit, behavior (act, pretend... whatsoever) like a sir and share some books relevant to the recent events to your lovely fellows in this fourm, rather than trying to kill each others, sending army to the enemies by the powerful magic of keyboard typing?

Let me be the first one

@Wholegrain
@Grand Historian

I have recently read a book[中菲外交關係史] by 蕭曦清, there are lots of useful historic information and some cases about some disputes "solved" by the international laws... something like that.
I wanna know if you guys have read it already.

Last edited:
Keep in mind these are books I have read there are plenty of other hidden gems though these not about international relationships.

For a general overview of Chinese history:
24 histories
Cambridge history of China
History of Imperial China series

For the history of Chinese population/census I would strongly recommend these three books:
中國人口史
中國人口通史
中國移民史

For Manchu/Han relationships during the Qing era:
Manchus and Han Ethnic and Political Power in Late Qing and Early Republican China 1861-1928
The Manchu Way The Eight Banners and Ethnic Identity in Late Imperial China
Manzhou Yuanliu Kao and the Formalization of the Manchu heritage
A Translucent Mirror History and Identity in Qing Imperial Ideology

For the history Baiyue people of Southern China:
百越民族史
百越源流與文化
古南越國史
史記
Barbarians or Not? Ethnicity and Changing Conceptions of the Ancient Yue (Viet) Peoples, ca. 400–50 bc

For the history of the Imjin War:
The Imjin War: Japan's Sixteenth-Century Invasion of Korea and Attempt to Conquer China(I believe Hawley's work is the most impressive as Turnbull and Swope are both exaggerate the feats of Japanese or Chinese respectively. )
明實錄
朝鮮王朝實錄
經略復國要編
懲毖錄
亂中日記

For the history of Goguryeo:
高句麗·渤海古城址研究彙編
高句麗民族與國家的形成和演變
三國史記
魏書
Koguryo: The Language of Japan's Continental Relatives: An Introduction to the Historical-Comparative Study of the Japanese-Koguryoic Languages

Keep in mind these are books I have read there are plenty of other hidden gems though these not about international relationships.

For a general overview of Chinese history:
24 histories
Cambridge history of China
History of Imperial China series

For the history of Chinese population/census I would strongly recommend these three books:
中國人口史
中國人口通史
中國移民史

For Manchu/Han relationships during the Qing era:
Manchus and Han Ethnic and Political Power in Late Qing and Early Republican China 1861-1928
The Manchu Way The Eight Banners and Ethnic Identity in Late Imperial China
Manzhou Yuanliu Kao and the Formalization of the Manchu heritage
A Translucent Mirror History and Identity in Qing Imperial Ideology

For the history Baiyue people of Southern China:
百越民族史
百越源流與文化
古南越國史
史記
Barbarians or Not? Ethnicity and Changing Conceptions of the Ancient Yue (Viet) Peoples, ca. 400–50 bc

For the history of the Imjin War:
The Imjin War: Japan's Sixteenth-Century Invasion of Korea and Attempt to Conquer China(I believe Hawley's work is the most impressive as Turnbull and Swope are both exaggerate the feats of Japanese or Chinese respectively. )
明實錄
朝鮮王朝實錄
經略復國要編
懲毖錄
亂中日記

For the history of Goguryeo:
高句麗·渤海古城址研究彙編
高句麗民族與國家的形成和演變
三國史記
魏書
Koguryo: The Language of Japan's Continental Relatives: An Introduction to the Historical-Comparative Study of the Japanese-Koguryoic Languages
Regarding Oxford's grand history of China, how is it compared with other books written by Chinese authors like Lin Handa and Cao Yuzhang? I never like reading any Chinese history by western / white auhtors. Anything post 1911 is all polical.

Regarding Oxford's grand history of China, how is it compared with other books written by Chinese authors like Lin Handa and Cao Yuzhang? I never like reading any Chinese history by western / white auhtors. Anything post 1911 is all polical.
Some of the texts are quite dated so there are inaccuracies,however it is a good outline for the overview of a certain dynasty.

There certainly isn't any oriental despotism or human wave stereotypes or condescending attitudes towards Chinese history.

Though if you wanted to dig deeper ie revised census results I would read other books instead.

Some of the texts are quite dated so there are inaccuracies,however it is a good outline for the overview of a certain dynasty.

There certainly isn't any oriental despotism or human wave stereotypes or condescending attitudes towards Chinese history.

Though if you wanted to dig deeper ie revised census results I would read other books instead.
My Chinese reading level is like grade 3. Any good English books about Chinese history without political BS you can recommend?

My Chinese reading level is like grade 3. Any good English books about Chinese history without political BS you can recommend?
The ones I listed are pretty standard however some are dry and all are informative.

As long as you don't touch history dealing with WW2 and after most of its fine.

Back
Top Bottom