What's new

Bonded Child Labour in India

Pakchina

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Interesting Article from childlabor.in for a country which traditionally spends most of its financial resources in weapons procurement since the 80's.

The most inhuman and onerous form of child exploitation is the age old practice of bonded labor in India. In this, the child is sold to the loaner like a commodity for a certain period of time. His labor is treated like security or collateral security and cunning rich men procure them for small sums at exorbitant interest rates.

The children who are sold as bonded labor only get a handful of coarse grain to keep them alive in return for their labor. Sometimes their period of thrall extends for a life time, and they have to simply toil hard and depend on the mercy of their owners, without any hope of release or redemption. The impoverished parents of the bonded child is usually a poor, uneducated landless laborer and the mortgagee is traditionally some big landlord, money lender or a big business man who thrives on their vulnerability to such exploitation.

The practice of bonded child labor is prevalent in many parts of rural India, but is very conspicuously in the Vellore district of Tamil Nadu. Here the bonded child is allowed to reside with his parents, if he presents himself for work at 8 a.m. every day. The practice of child bonded labor persists like a scourge to humanity in spite of many laws against it. These laws although stringent and providing for imprisonment and imposition of huge fines on those who are found guilty are literally non- functional in terms of implementation.

However most of their efforts were sabotaged by high level government officials covering the fact that children were doing bonded work in factory promises. They deliberately employed their energy in running public awareness campaigns and made claims of creating propaganda against child labor, instead of punishing erring employers and freeing and rehabilitating the bonded children.

Governments did take few directions on the right track initially, but most of their efforts came to naught with time. Moreover the government efforts did not reach high profile industries like bidi, cigarette making and carpet weaving. According to Cousen Neff - an official of the Human Rights watch – “Instead of living up to its promises, the Indian government is starting to backtrack, claiming the problem is being solved. Our research shows that it is not.”

Neff also identified a major link between caste and bondage in Indian society. Dalit family’s functions as bonded labor due to caste based discrimination and violence and not poverty in many cases. The caste system in India is one of the main foundations on which the edifice of bonded labor rests. Dalits or the so called untouchable are denied access to land in India, forced to work in inhuman conditions, and expected to perform labor for free. This is due to the so called upper castes boycotting them socially and subjecting them to economic exploitation. This attitude of society keeps the poor families bonded in a scourge of perpetual poverty and labor. It is now very important for all International donors to put pressure on the Indian government to enforce bonded labor and child labor laws in the country. To find more child labor websites visit : ngo in india:tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown:

i belive we spend less on defence than you guys do in terms of percentage . :hitwall::hitwall:

worry about your own country not ours .

in delhi where i stay - south , most house hold got child labour. from cleaning job to cooking.

the reason given is: they are safer option.

------------------ child labour is big issue, most educated and metro city people dont shy away from it , i seen them wokring on gas sation to house kitchen to sweet shop, restaurents, gift shops , cleaningjob in offices .

this is surely biggest problem in country compared to other countries.

how about some child labour news from pakistan sometimes or is it supposed to be used only for india bashing

What does this have to do with Defence? You want me to start posting Pakistan social problems in the 'military aviation' thread?

Every country in South Asia has this problem,i bet 10000% Pakistan has the same as well.
In Delhi there are many bureaus that provide maids and housekeepers most are from Bangladesh and Nepal and many are adolescents.So it's a problem widespread in South Asia.

Is it related to defense? More than one day and thread is still alive.....:hitwall: Where are the mods now???

I don't think Indians should be angered by what is posted.

One can debate whether it is bonded labour or paid labour.

Yet, it is not a matter that should happen i.e. child labour.

That is a noble thought and there is no doubt.

However, child labour is an Asian malaise and not confined to India alone and there are reasons for it. Economics! It brings in more money for the family and they are all poor.

Now, if those who are concerned about child labour, pour in money and uplift these families, then they would not have to resort to sending their children to work. Now, are our families, be we Indians or Pakistanis, having our children as bonded labour? No. Why not? We are not in economic distress!

I do not subscribe to child labour, but I am a pragmatist. If I cannot help, I should not howl.

There are many who flaunt diamonds in our countries and more so in the West. They are the glitteratti and the chatterati and the bleeding hearts who lament over such issues including weep over those living under $2 a day. They, of course, conveniently forget PPP and what $2 dollars can get. And what is more, they are encouraging BLOOD DIAMONDS!! Child soldiers who are shanghaied to fight for factions who are fighting over having a hold over illegal diamonds.

Blood Diamonds

In relation to diamond trading, conflict diamond (also called a converted diamond, blood diamond, hot diamond, or a war diamond) refers to a diamond mined in a war zone and sold to finance an insurgency, invading army's war efforts, or a warlord's activity, usually in Africa where around two-thirds of the world's diamonds are extracted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom