What's new

Boeing expects India’s P-8I order to increase to as many as 30 units

Sure but then they would have to get close about 290 km to the vessel and I am pretty sure the vessels would be armed with SAMs, so why risk our plane when the navy's other ships can do the job. Plus I think the Aircraft already comes with a weapons package.

290KM is pretty safe distance, Plenty of time to effectively Deploy counter measures , Long range SAM's are not very effective. , P8 Already Mounts harpoon ASCM , there is a reason for it. Brahmos can do the job better. , US may not allow IN to integrate Brahmos.

There are some Points I am not taking into account to keep it simple, Nevermind I only Shared my View
Thankyou

Sure but then they would have to get close about 290 km to the vessel and I am pretty sure the vessels would be armed with SAMs, so why risk our plane when the navy's other ships can do the job. Plus I think the Aircraft already comes with a weapons package.

P-8Is will be equipped with Block II Harpoons, our Tu-142s are touted to carry Russian Anti-ship missiles.

It would be Good If US allow IN to Integrate Brahmos ALCM on P8-I Platforms. (Unlikely)

They won't, Russia possibly won't either and I don't think it fits to P8 hardpoints, because it might be too long for the internal weapon bay and too heavy for the wingstations.

So is a diet P-8I feasible within $100 million a pop price bracket? Highly unlikely, maybe US proposed a new variant of P-3C Orions with P-8Is onboard sensor systems and avionics. What say?

It's actually not clear what Boeing really has in mind for MRMR. The early articles talked about a diat 737 P8I, more recent articles hints about a smaller business jet version as well. I recently added some news in that regard:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/30327-indian-navy-news-discussions-121.html#post3172733

Along with high performance P-8Is, i'd like to mix a sizable number of turbo-prop driven platforms, preferably from CASA or SAAB, as they have longer endurance and their engine noise won't be picked up by Subs.

I haven't got your point but if I am correct, I don't think the operational ceiling of P-8I which is quite high is going to compromise its noise signatures to Submarines ?

I think we don't need that much,also it is very costly.
below 20 will be enough.

Andaman - 6
Mumbai- 4
kochi -4
lakshadweep- 2
Vizag -4

keeping east and west 10:10

a combination of Global Hawk will be deadly.
20 is good but if we can have 30 P8Is that would ensure no Enemy Sub is near Indian waters .

Actually 16 to 20 of these birds are sufficient for India. for inner circle we will have MRMR which will be more costeffective. also for close shore servailance we have UAv's & helis.
30 of these birds will cost more than $10Bil with their maintenance spares. but MRMR & UAV's will offer a cost effective solution & extencive coverage.

They won't, Russia possibly won't either and I don't think it fits to P8 hardpoints, because it might be too long for the internal weapon bay and too heavy for the wingstations.

It's actually not clear what Boeing really has in mind for MRMR. The early articles talked about a diat 737 P8I, more recent articles hints about a smaller business jet version as well. I recently added some news in that regard:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/30327-indian-navy-news-discussions-121.html#post3172733

Sale of Sophisticated Platforms like P8 was unexpected years back.
I think with some Structural modifications/Strengthening P8 Can carry Couple of Brahmos AL-ASCM.
My Wishful thinking.
Goodday

I haven't got your point but if I am correct, I don't think the operational ceiling of P-8I which is quite high is going to compromise its noise signatures to Submarines ?

It'll be pretty tough to detect electromagnetic anomaly in the ocean from a height, submarine detection and hunting takes place at lower altitudes.

And no, you got my point wrong, if a turbojet plane is flying at a lower altitude over an ocean, subs can detect them through their sonar and can dive deeper to avoid detection.

Why not make it 300 units. The Americans love making big bucks, especially when it is so easy and commanding fat profts. :cheers:

Sale of Sophisticated Platforms like P8 was unexpected years back.
I think with some Structural modifications/Strengthening P8 Can carry Couple of Brahmos AL-ASCM.
My Wishful thinking.
Goodday

I don't think that's possible, as mentioned the weapon bay should be not big enough and the wings normally carries Harpoon missiles which comes around 700Kg, air launched Brahmos comes at 2500Kg. So there is hardly any chance and therefor MKI will remain the only platform to use Brahmos for quiet some time.
However, I still hope we get a chance to buy SLAM-ER missile, which gives us longer range strike capability.

There is also a "diet" version of BrahMos-I under development, perhaps that
could be carried by P-8I

Speaking of Brahmos--I remember reading that someone from this forum works for brahmos. Can he/she shed some light into this ?

Last i remember brahmos wasn't exactly an anti-ship missile--or am i completely off the mark ? If I'm wrong please dont assault me--total newbie here.

Speaking of Brahmos--I remember reading that someone from this forum works for brahmos. Can he/she shed some light into this ?

Last i remember brahmos wasn't exactly an anti-ship missile--or am i completely off the mark ? If I'm wrong please dont assault me--total newbie here.

That's Mech for you, but i don't see him online these days.

And Brahmos is an advanced variant of Yakhont anti-ship missile with much improved guidance and having capability to attack land targets, and Brahmos blk III has ability to hit targets behind hills, ie steep dive at terminal stage.

Picture of yakhont anti-ship missile.

160376482.jpg

jahont.jpg

There is also a "diet" version of BrahMos-I under development, perhaps that
could be carried by P-8I

Air launched Brahmos will fit into this criteria just fine, should be operational by the end of 2013.

Su-30MKI+with+BrahMos+MRCM.jpg

Yeah the PO includes purchase of Mk54 Torpedoes and MK84 Harpoon ASM with 315 Km range

Yeah the PO includes purchase of Mk54 Torpedoes and MK84 Harpoon ASM with 315 Km range

India will get 36 Torpedoes and 50 Harpoons

India will get 36 Torpedoes and 50 Harpoons

well 16 of this are enough while navy is going to get Initially 9 MRMR after that it will surely have follow on for them.
so
16P-8I + 13 MRMR=29
they will be enough to cover all the area of indian navy interest

remaining what ever will be left that can be cover by drones

Back
Top Bottom