What's new

Boeing CH-47 reportedly wins the heavy lift helicopter tender over Mi 26T

Seem India is shifting to buy more and more USA weapons, Russian must get pissed off .

Nah, russia still has the large chunk of the pie. Anyway i think India is trying to diversify its weapon inventory so that other countries do not dictate them the terms

India is one of the rare country who can buy any kind of weapon from US and Russia also Israel, France UK, Germany etc......luxury is ours....and we are having fun in shopping...:D

India is one of the rare country who can buy any kind of weapon from US and Russia also Israel, France UK, Germany etc......luxury is ours....and we are having fun in shopping...:D

No, we can't buy state of the art weapons from China/Pakistan. :cry:

like a redneck going shopping in the city then:taz: Buying too much dampen your health pretty much....

Nah, russia still has the large chunk of the pie. Anyway i think India is trying to diversify its weapon inventory so that other countries do not dictate them the terms
good exmaple of diversification then, comes the with the maintenance predicament....whatever they love to spill money all over the world.

Great news... I was thinking it would be a political decision. I was wrong.

:undecided: Mi lost to chinooks? IAF want to look cool or they want some hardcore helis? Everybody knows Mi are far superior than chinooks. Chinook is also good looking beast but Mi is the best. I thought attack helis from usa and heavy lift from russia this would have been far good decision. Now it is totally like pissing russians off

:undecided: Mi lost to chinooks? IAF want to look cool or they want some hardcore helis? Everybody knows Mi are far superior than chinooks. Chinook is also good looking beast but Mi is the best. I thought attack helis from usa and heavy lift from russia this would have been far good decision. Now it is totally like pissing russians off

126 Helicopter Flight Operates 6 Mi 26 one was lost few months ago, 1 was written off during Ops Use. Most of the Time used to see them under preventative maintenance in 3BRD Chandigarh.

These Birds are pure Junk. Rationale Being -

1) 8 Rotor Blades produce so much of Lift that its IMPOSSIBLE to Land Mi26 Empty. IAF boys used to park a CFT if it were to fly with less than 8000 Kg.

2) Mi 26 needs 6-8 Hrs of service repair for each 1hr flight

3) In places like Leh, it can land but to lift was a issue specially during cold weather. This bird cannt handle High Turbulence for more than 1G deviation.

4) It consumes 4 times fuel for the same sortie done by a MI17. Remember for Daily BAU - I DONT need a 2 Ton machine.

5) Spare Parts have always been an issue with Russian.

6) Mi 26 Lacks ILS and has pure Manual landing not suitable when you are flying a 2T Hptr.

In cost to service life Ratio it is Negative. No Wonder this Bird was called as "Lala" by Hptr community

"The present contract is for 15 such multi-mission helicopters. The Chinook bid was lower both in terms of initial direct acquisition cost as well as life cycle cost. The contract negotiation committee will now finalize the deal for the Chinook," said a source.

TOI, so should be taken carefully, but this part is interesting. It isn't surprising that the Chinook turned out to be cheaper in terms of lifecycle costs, but that they would be cheaper per unit is.

I had hoped Mi 26 will be selected, as its more powerfull, state of art avionics and can carry more troops and weights than chinook, and the latest version is highly rugged with less maintainance unlike the previous versions of Mi 26...
Still havent officially announced, Mi 26 fans will have to wait...

as everyone expected.

It must be noted that the requirement for CH-47s can go up to 45 units total.

Back
Top Bottom