What's new

Body Language Secrets Everyone Must Know

farhanalee7

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
We are always sending messages to others consciously and unconsciously. How we sit, stand, and the eye contact we make with others sends strong messages. Many times what what’s coming out of our mouths and what our body language is saying are two different things.

By a man’s fingernails, by his coat-sleeve, by his boots, by his trouser-knees, by the calluses of his forefinger and thumb, by his expression, by his shirt-cuffs, by his movements – by each of these things a man’s calling is plainly revealed. That all united should fail to enlighten the competent enquirer in any case is almost inconceivable. (- Sherlock Holmes, 1892)

interestedwondersbook-wordpress-com1.jpg

attitudewondersbook-wordpress-com.jpg

face-manwondersbook-wordpress-com.jpg

facewondersbook-wordpress-com11.jpg

Unless he has an itch…

deceitwondersbook-wordpress-com-copy.jpg

The eyes can tell others so many things.

eyesightwondersbook-wordpress-comblog.jpg

Watch the legs and feet!

feetwondersbook-wordpress-comblog.jpg

How do you sit in office meetings?

sitswondersbook-wordpress-com.jpg

Don’t sit like this unless you want to give message that you are closed off.

aloofwondersbook-wordpress-com-935x1240-772x1024.jpg

feelingwondersbook-wordpress-com-935x1240-772x1024.jpg

Body Language Secrets Everyone Must Know. I Love Photo #4. - Eye Opening Info | Eye Opening Info

That is not true. Many things are universial. When i smile you will see me as friendly. And when i look angry you will notice that too.

That is not true. Many things are universial. When i smile you will see me as friendly. And when i look angry you will notice that too.
yeah.. but the ones mentioned above are culture specific, smiling and frowning are not.
even about smiles, a thai person smiles differently than you, sometimes it can confuse the hell out of you.

yeah.. but the ones mentioned above are culture specific, smiling and frowning are not.
even about smiles, a thai person smiles differently than you, sometimes it can confuse the hell out of you.

smiling in general is agressive in its nature. The more i smile and laugh the more i show my teeth. It is believed in anthropology that this was a warning once.

Other than the six universal facial expressions recognized around the world (Happiness , Sadness, Fear,Disgust,Surprise and Anger) body language means different things in different cultures .

For example , People in/from parts of India may to shake their head from side to side as a sign of agreement and active listening. In the UK/west people tend to nod their head to agree and affirm and to show they are listening; in India it is not unusual for people to move their heads from side to side in giving these reactions. It is also seen as respectful practice. (Thanks S Churchill. Incidentally on this point, sideways head-shaking of this sort is not a vigorous twisting movement; it is usually more of a sideways tilting of the head from one side to the other.)

This point (thanks R Fox) concerns eye contact. Eye contact (other than unwanted staring) is generally regarded as a positive aspect of body language in Western cultures, which in this context typically refers to white European people and descendents. A specific difference regarding eye contact can be found in some black Caribbean cultures however, whereby young people tend to be instructed not look at someone eye to eye when being told off or disciplined. When cultures meet obviously this provides potential for friction, given the 'Western' expectation in such situations, for example, "Look at me when I'm talking to you".

Filipino people (and in fact many other people of all races) can find it offensive/uncomfortable when beckoned by a repeatedly curled index finger - the gesture evokes feelings of having done something wrong and being chastised for it.

In some Australian Aboriginal cultures, it is disrespectful to look an elder, or person of a rank above you, in the eyes. It is a sign of respect to drop your eyes, (whereas in Western culture not meeting somebody's gaze is commonly considered to be a negative sign, indicating deceit, lying, lack of attention, lack of confidence, etc).

In Arab countries the thumbs-up gesture is rude. Showing the soles of the feet is insulting/rude in many Asian and Arab cultures, especially pointing the foot or feet at anyone. Feet are considered 'inferior' parts of the body compared with the dignity of the face. In Arab culture the left hand and right hands have religious connotations which generally dictate that the left hand is not used for touching (for example shaking hands) or eating. Arab handshaking tends to be more frequent and less firm - on meeting and departing, even several times in the same day.

The eyebrow flash may be considered rude or to carry sexual connotations in Japanese culture. Informal male-female touching is less common and can be considered improper in Japan.

The American-style 'OK' sign - a circle made with thumb and index-finger with other fingers fanned or outstretched - is a rude gesture in some cultures, notably Latin America, Germany and the Middle East.

Beckoning gestures in Eastern cultures are commonly made with the palm down, whereas Western beckoning is generally palm up.

The offensive British/Western two-fingered V-sign is not necessarily offensive in Japan and may be considered positive like the Western palm-outwards 'victory' or 'peace' V-sign in the West.

In some countries, Greece, Turkey and Bulgaria for example, moving the head up/down or from side to side may have additional or different meanings to those conventionally interpreted in the UK/US. Specifically, in Turkey, aside from using conventional (US/UK-style) head nodding and shaking, some people may also signal 'no' by moving their head up.

In Japan the male bow is still commonly used, when the depth of the bow increases with the amount of respect shown, and is therefore a signal of relative status between two people.

In The Netherlands people touch the temple with the index finger in order to indicate someone (or an action) is smart or intelligent. Touching the forehead with the index finger means someone (or an action) is stupid or crazy. In Russia these meanings are reversed.

This is true to some degree. I expect others to watch into my eyes when i talk with them.

This is true to some degree. I expect others to watch into my eyes when i talk with them.
showing something using feet is considered rude in India, so is using left hand. some shopkeeper even refuse to take money from me when I give using left hand.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom