What's new

Bihar CM wants Delhi to review Ganges treaty

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
Bdnews24.com . New Delhi

The Bihar chief minister, Nitish Kumar, has demanded that India should review the 15-year-old Ganges treaty with Bangladesh.

Kumar told journalists in his state’s capital Patna that the treaty had been a ‘gross injustice’, soon after his counterpart from Paschimbanga Mamata Banerjee red-flagged the proposed Teesta water sharing deal.

As a result, Delhi had to back away from signing the Teesta deal during Indian prime minister Manmohan Singh’s September 6-7 visit, although it was perceived to be all but sealed. Kumar also supported Mamata’s decision to opt out of Manmohan Singh’s entourage to Dhaka last week to protest at the proposed modalities of Teesta deal.

The fiasco over the Teesta deal caused what is being seen in both Delhi and Dhaka as a major setback for Manmohan’s visit.

Mamata’s All India Trinamool Congress is an ally of the Indian National Congress, which leads India’s United Progressive Alliance government in New Delhi.

The Trinamool Congress won the state assembly elections in Paschimbanga last May, defeating the Communist Party of India (Marxist)-led Left Front, which ruled the state for 34 consecutive years.

Kumar belongs to the Janata Dal (United), which is an ally of the Bharatiya Janata Party, the main opposition party in Indian parliament.

The Bihar CM told journalists it was unfortunate that India’s central government overlooked the state governments while negotiating deals with neighbouring countries. ‘It is indeed unfortunate that we have no say in such issues,’ he said.

Bangladesh and India signed the treaty on December 12, 1996, putting in place a mechanism for sharing the Ganges water for 30 years.

New Age | Newspaper

I wonder why the folks along the north-east despise bangladesh....

Illegal immigration perhaps? My sources tell me illegal immigration has come down drastically since the BSF decided to tighten border control.

Any how,
On topic: the central govt needs to work with the state govt being directly affected before going into any international deals.

I wonder why the folks along the north-east despise bangladesh....

Illegal immigration perhaps? My sources tell me illegal immigration has come down drastically since the BSF decided to tighten border control.

Any how,
On topic: the central govt needs to work with the state govt being directly affected before going into any international deals.

Naaah just Indian propaganda ..........

hahahahaha....

Stick to the topic. There are tons of threads on illegal immigration out there, and if you can't find one, create one!

India is legally bound to abide by the Ganges treaty. Bihar CM is an idiot.

How is India legally bound?

That is an interesting observation.

No we never said it's fair. But a treaty is better than nothing, and the best option is to bulldoze the barrage on the indian side.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

How is India legally bound?

That is an interesting observation.

No, I suddenly agree with your observation. International treaties with india are just mere jokes.

By treaty obligation?

If you are meaning the current understanding, then it is being met.

So, what is the big deal?

The issue that is making such a brouhaha is allocating water over and above the current treaty.

No we never said it's fair. But a treaty is better than nothing, and the best option is to bulldoze the barrage on the indian side.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

No, I suddenly agree with your observation. International treaties with india are just mere jokes.

Of course, you can always bulldoze the barrage.

But then, you have to reach it.

What if you in turn get bulldozed into the Bay?

Have you heard of the Indus Water Treaty?

It is ancient and it still holds good.\

Educate yourself for a change.

I think it's time to review all the water treaties we have with bangladesh..............according to the UN law of sharing of common rivers, bangladesh is getting lot more........here in west bengal we r suffering............cost of dredging the hoogly river is increasing day by day and is becoming unnavigable.........the Haldia port is drying up.....india may lose this port in near future if corrective actions r not taken..........above that giving almost 50% water to bangladesh frm teesta will be blunderous.........our govt. shud look into the the interest of our ppl first, international relationships comes second.......

I think it's time to review all the water treaties we have with bangladesh..............according to the UN law of sharing of common rivers, bangladesh is getting lot more........here in west bengal we r suffering............cost of dredging the hoogly river is increasing day by day and is becoming unnavigable.........the Haldia port is drying up.....india may lose this port in near future if corrective actions r not taken..........above that giving almost 50% water to bangladesh frm teesta will be blunderous.........our govt. shud look into the the interest of our ppl first, international relationships comes second.......

So now you admit that there is a UN law or should I put a UN convention which India never signed and dont comply with it.

If Haldia is your concern then follow our example. We shifted Khulna port from Chalna to Mongla 40 miles downstread. You can do the same. We are now building deep sea port. We can also extend our co-operation in that regard.

So now you admit that there is a UN law or should I put a UN convention which India never signed and dont comply with it.

If Haldia is your concern then follow our example. We shifted Khulna port from Chalna to Mongla 40 miles downstread. You can do the same. We are now building deep sea port. We can also extend our co-operation in that regard.

How do u guys claim to have 50% of teesta waters.........our north bengal would just dry up if so much water is diverted to bangladesh...............as for haldia....why should we relocate the port........it is now well established with quite a few major companies working in the region.......relocating the port would mean lots of money........why should we spend that kind of money for relocating a major port just for giving bangladeshis extra water.........what would we get for that......nothing, except a major port relocation costing us huge sum of money.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom