BD Trade with its Small Neighbours

eastwatch

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
South Asian Media Net

BHUTAN INDUSTRIES YET TO TAP BD OPENING
Thursday, September 30,2010

THIMPHU: Despite several intermediary industrial products being on the list of 18 Bhutanese products that got duty free entry to the Bangladeshi market three months ago, industrialists say they are yet to fully explore the new opening.

Some industrialists have exported some amount, but say that striking a deal and getting a good price is fraught with difficulties because of competition with Indian exporters, the fluctuating US dollar rate and the rising transportation costs.

Industrial and construction material like boulders, dolomite, gypsum, limestone, calcium carbonate, ferro-silicon and billets are some products that got duty free access to Bangladesh from June this year.

“In spite of the duty exemption, Bangladeshis aren’t willing to pay higher and there’s always the problem of delay in payment,” said a ferro industrialist, who exported about 100 metric tonne (MT) of ferro silicon to Bangladesh last month.

Ferro industrialists said they prefer to sell to the Indian market that had a huge demand, compared with Bangladesh. Indian importers also paid in advance.

A steel industrialist said it was difficult to compete with Indian exporters, who get export incentives and excise duty refund or duty drawbacks.

An Indian exporter in a telephone interview told Kuensel that, when they export to Bangladesh or any other country, that brings hard currency earnings, exporters get incentives.

For instance, for billets, they get four percent of the capped value of Nu 21,000 per MT, from the export promotion councils of India. Similarly the percentage of drawback differs on other steel products. “This means a refund of about Nu 840/MT, apart from the excise duty refund,” he said.

Bhutanese don’t get such incentives, said a steel industrialist, who exported about 300 MT of billets to Bangladesh this year. “While Indian exporters get the excise duty refund; for us, it’s a cost component, because the government takes it and we have to price our products comparatively higher.”

He also said that he would be able to export up to Nu 2.5M a month, had the market situation been conducive enough.

Some steel industrialists said that they get up to USD 600 a MT on an average from exports to Bangladesh and about Nu 26,000 a MT to India. Steel prices, however, remain volatile, with prices changing on a daily basis, depending on the demand worldwide.

A Bangladeshi exporter told Kuensel that billets manufactured in Bhutan were about 11 percent higher in price compared with billets from India, even after paying the import duty of 2,500 takka an MT or about USD 35 on Indian billets.

In India, under the (central value added) cenvat scheme, a manufacturer of the final product or provider of taxable service is allowed to take credit of duty of excise, as well as of service tax paid on any goods used in the manufacture of capital goods, states Cenvat credit rules of 2004.

This allows Indian manufacturers to have a more competitive edge over products manufactured in Bhutan that uses raw materials from India, said the Bangladeshi importer.

After the implementation of the load limit in West Bengal, transportation cost has also doubled, said industrialists. Earlier, it was Nu 350 a MT for to the Bangladeshi border, but now it is around Nu 700 a MT, they said.

The Bhutan ferro alloys ltd, Ugyen ferro alloys ltd, Druk Wang alloys ltd, Bhutan ferro industries and Druk ferro alloys ltd in Pasakha and SD eastern Bhutan pvt ltd in Samdrupjongkhar are operating at about 70 percent of their installed capacity of 0.010M MT a year.

The five steel industries at Pasakha operating at about 31 percent of installed capacity of 0.500M MT manufacture TMT bars, billets, ingots and structural steel, which are mainly sold to India.

18 Bhutanese products
Any fruit item from any country should be duty free in BD.

BD needs well nutrition at low cost.

Last edited:
you said smaller neighbours.. and u mention just 2 countries.. India and Bhutan.. please have a better title..

you said smaller neighbours.. and u mention just 2 countries.. India and Bhutan.. please have a better title..

Title is correct, because I want people to contribute affairs of Nepal and Bhutan in terms of their trade/other relationship with BD. The article that said of India nad Bhutan was not written by me.

BD should consider improving its relations with India,because if that goes in a wrong direction,BD will land in a huge trouble!

BD has small neighbors?
Wasn't BD small itself?
:D

BD should consider improving its relations with India,because if that goes in a wrong direction,BD will land in a huge trouble!

You are a true Indian fcuker who does not want BD to work independently though BD is so-called independent. If I would be the President of BD then I would find alternative source of India (for importing goods) and then I would enjoy the frustration of India on an arrogant BD. India's so-called friendship offer would be more clear then.....

Last edited:
You are a true Indian fcuker who does not want BD to work independently though BD is so-called independent. If I would be the President of BD then I would find alternative source of India (for importing goods) and then I would enjoy the frustration of India on an arrogant BD. India's so-called friendship offer would be more clear then.....

Forget about what this jealous Game is Loading is saying here to appease himself and some of his friends. This fellow has not yet been elected the PM of India. So, his words her are not what his govt thinks of BD.

His trolling here will not have any effects on BD. BD is always independent and only because of this policy, India is opening routes towards Nepal, Bhutan and then the big country Pakistan for us to extend our trade.

Care to explain this huge trouble, exactly what can/will india do if we decide to go in the "wrong direction"?

You see India behaves like an underdeveloped country. It is worried about accepting BD goods and wants to dump Indian goods in BD. India is worried that we will be purchasing Pakistani goods, instead of India, if a railway link is allowed. But, India has to grant this to us, because, otherwise, we will not allow it to use the Asian Highway through BD.

You see India behaves like an underdeveloped country. It is worried about accepting BD goods and wants to dump Indian goods in BD. India is worried that we will be purchasing Pakistani goods, instead of India, if a railway link is allowed. But, India has to grant this to us, because, otherwise, we will not allow it to use the Asian Highway through BD.

YOu are right on money. We dont care to export much in our smaller neighbour like Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar etc but we want more and more import from them. If India considered us as less developed than they should not had considered us as their competitor. Still they consider lots of our products as a direct threat to their industry. ;)

His trolling here will not have any effects on BD. BD is always independent and only because of this policy, India is opening routes towards Nepal, Bhutan and then the big country Pakistan for us to extend our trade.

BD got freedom around 40 years ago. Then why you are saying India is opening ports just because of BD's independence? Do you mean that if we were East Pakistan then India would not open ports of BD? Then I will say that BD would not be so excited for these open ports if it was East PK.

AL is giving transit to India - so India is opening ports to Nepal and Bhutan. That is what I know- not for BD's independence.

Back
Top Bottom