What's new

Bangladesh welcomes Iran offer to join IPI project

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Bangladesh welcomes Iran offer to join IPI project

Bangladesh has shown keen interest on Iran offer to join the proposed Iran-Pakistan-India pipeline project, known also as the Peace Pipeline. Iran has suggested involving Bangladesh in its planned cross-border gas pipeline, which will guarantee supply to energy-deficient Pakistan and India.

“Since the tri-nation gas pipeline is supposed to reach up to the Indian city of Kolkata, Bangladesh can be linked to the grid to secure gas supply by Iran,” a senior official with the Bangladesh Finance Ministry’s Economic Relations Division (ERD) said, Pakistan Views reported.

The ERD official said Iran has indicated that the pipeline may stretch up to Kolkata and urged Bangladesh to explore the possibility of its inclusion.

“It is really a great opportunity for Bangladesh as the country’s recoverable gas reserve would start drying up from 2013,” he said.

At present, Bangladesh has a shortage of nearly 300 million cubic feet (mcf) of gas supply per day against total demand of 2300 mcf of gas.

Nearly 87 percent of Bangladesh’s electricity is generated from natural gas a scarce resource state-run oil and gas corporation Petrobangla said could deplete by 2015.

A senior Petrobangla official said the government should diversify its import sources in view of the country’s limited reserves of 12-tcf and the demand for energy that is surging past 8 percent a year.

He said, “I think gas import from Iran is a viable option for Dhaka.”

He said that the government should join negotiations with Iran, Pakistan and India for the proposed IPI pipeline.

“Kolkata is very close to Bangladesh. It will be easier for the government to bring the pipeline to our border.”

The IPI gas pipeline is a proposed 2,775-kilometer pipeline to deliver natural gas from Iran to Pakistan and India.

The negotiations have been going on for many years involving Iran, Pakistan and India. Iran’s enormous gas reserves are ideally suited to supply massive amounts of gas to both Pakistan and India on long-term basis, thus helping ease the energy requirements of the two giant developing nations.

Iran, Pakistan, and India conceptualized the Peace Pipeline project in the 1990s, to help boost peace and security in the region.

Negotiations over the project were initiated in 1994 between the three countries but there were obstacles to closing the three-way deal due to tension between India and Pakistan.

Iran’s proved natural gas reserves are about 1,000 trillion cubic feet, of which 33 percent are as associated gas and 67 percent is in non associated gas fields. It stands the world’s second-largest reserves after Russia.

tehran times : Bangladesh welcomes Iran offer to join IPI project

India has yet to clarify its position so till then BD cant do anything practical to join it

or there any other way to carry the pipeline to BD

This is good. :tup:

I wonder if BD joining will make India less anxious, since Pakistan wouldn't want to disturb the supply of gas to BD by disturbing the supply to India.

India has yet to clarify its position so till then BD cant do anything practical to join it

Because for that Pakistan/Iran has to clarify their position on the mode of delivery of oil.

We simply cannot afford to build a strategic pipeline through the heart of a rival without any assurances from Iran and Pakistan.

It will be just suicide.

This is good. :tup:
I wonder if BD joining will make India less anxious, since Pakistan wouldn't want to disturb the supply of gas to BD by disturbing the supply to India.

Sorry..but what can BD give to Pakistan that it will not stop the pipeline in case of wat with India.And then there are the Non-State-Actors willing to do holy war with India.

it seems to be impossible.u.s have influence on govt of india.if india does,then it will be frm arabian sea.pilpeline frm pak is risky due to up-down in relations.gas valves will be in hand of pak.

Because for that Pakistan/Iran has to clarify their position on the mode of delivery of oil.

We simply cannot afford to build a strategic pipeline through the heart of a rival without any assurances from Iran and Pakistan.

It will be just suicide.

Sorry..but what can BD give to Pakistan that it will not stop the pipeline in case of wat with India.And then there are the Non-State-Actors willing to do holy war with India.

I agree about the non-state actors.

But the whole purpose of this "peace pipeline" is to promote a basic level of trust or aversion to conflict between the involved nations, along with the economic development that will be the result of it. This should be good incentive for Pakistan (or India in case of BD) to specially safeguard the pipeline from non-state actors. By adding BD, India would not be the last recipient, i.e. the only one at the mercy of Pakistan disturbing the supply. Also, Iran is interested in improving relations with India, or, already has good relations with India. So altogether, there'd be 3 countries now (Iran, India, BD) that would be aversive to Pakistan using it as a political tool in times of conflict. If Pakistan plans to disturb the supply to India, India and BD could band together to pressure Iran to warn Pakistan that supply to it could also be compromised if it decides to use the IPIB pipeline as a political tool in times of escalation.

If hostilities are seriously on the rise, Iran could consider stopping the supply to all 3 countries for a certain amount of time, in order to guard against the wastage of gas in case of an impending attack and also to discourage escalation of conflict, until things have cooled down a bit.

India need not to clarify its position it is already cleared. It is your government who is not responding to the security of pipeline and consequences if this pipeline is blow up (As it happened few days ago in Turkey).

Other ways to go to BD would be twisting from head of India-China-Myanmar or tail of India- Arabian Sea-bay of Bengal-BD.. Economically both are illogical. Logical for me is to have under water pipeline till India (Iran-Karachi-Mumbai/Guj- Kolkata-Dhaka) and then underground to Kolkata and then BD. This will save us for such cases.

India need not to clarify its position it is already cleared. It is your government who is not responding to the security of pipeline and consequences if this pipeline is blow up (As it happened few days ago in Turkey).

Other ways to go to BD would be twisting from head of India-China-Myanmar or tail of India- Arabian Sea-bay of Bengal-BD.. Economically both are illogical. Logical for me is to have under water pipeline till India (Iran-Karachi-Mumbai/Guj- Kolkata-Dhaka) and then underground to Kolkata and then BD. This will save us for such cases.

India fears Pakistan may intentionally stop flow to India in a warlike situation if the pipeline runs through that country. But, in such a situation Pakistan may also blow up the pipeline even when it runs through Arabian Sea. It means a sea pipeline is similarly vulnerable.

So, a land route is more logical, whereby Iran holds the ultimate authority in a conflict-like situation between Pakistan and India. In case, Pakistan stops the flow to India, Iran stops the flow to Pakistan as well.

I think, a BD participation would be a plus for India. Pakistan may not want to disrupt flow to India that will also stop flow to BD as well. This will bind the BD-India relationship in a way that Pakistan may not cherish.

After saying all these, I would like to ask if it is possible to pump all the gas for the three countries through only one pipe? I think, there cannot be only one pipe considering the volume of gas to be supplied. It may also be that at least three pipes will run parallel for three countries.

In such a case, BD may have its own specific pipes, so that even if Pakistan stops Indian flow, it may not disrupt BD flow. I think, BD govt should demand separate pipe(s) for its own supply.

India fears Pakistan may intentionally stop flow to India in a warlike situation if the pipeline runs through that country. But, in such a situation Pakistan may also blow up the pipeline even when it runs through Arabian Sea. It means a sea pipeline is similarly vulnerable.

So, a land route is more logical, whereby Iran holds the ultimate authority in a conflict-like situation between Pakistan and India. In case, Pakistan stops the flow to India, Iran stops the flow to Pakistan as well.

I think, a BD participation would be a plus for India. Pakistan may not want to disrupt flow to India that will also stop flow to BD as well. This will bind the BD-India relationship in a way that Pakistan may not cherish.

After saying all these, I would like to ask if it is possible to pump all the gas for the three countries through only one pipe? I think, there cannot be only one pipe considering the volume of gas to be supplied. It may also be that at least three pipes will run parallel for three countries.

In such a case, BD may have its own specific pipes, so that even if Pakistan stops Indian flow, it may not disrupt BD flow. I think, BD govt should demand separate pipe(s) for its own supply.

This line show that how much knowledge you have about sea pipeline

First thing you cant blow any thing that is in international border
Second and most important till now none of the submarine or warfare is able to strike deep inside sea (I am also dnt know exact figure may be some senior help us in this matter) :hitwall:

GoI is not afraid of Pakistan stopping flow of pipeline as this will majorly impact Iran and Not India. As we will pay as per Consumption and if that could not took place then No pay to Iran.
Secondly, on Blowing of pipelines by Non state actors of Pakistan. Pakistan needs to pay price for the same as India will deny the consumption and force us to pay the same.

Rest Trac covered. Terrorist can't blow under sea pipe as they lack on that and majorly it will destroy shores of their nation.

Yes BD participation would be plus for India as Pakistan will levy some charges from India which India will recover from BD. On other points as you mentioned, In case of some mishappening India-BD will join together to discuss the case against Pakistan.

Yes, One pipe will be sufficient to cover such long distances and if not there are alternate ways like filling gases/oils again from one station to make the pressure.

This is Econmocially illogical to have separate lines otherwise Iran and India will have already under sea oil supply. Why BD government will Pay the cost of Pipe from Iran to BD when they can get the same from Kolkata to Dhaka? Why Indian government will allow 2 separate pipe lines from their ground if there would not be any profit?

will pakistan get an extra fee from bangladesh/india since the pipe is still going through pakistan to both nations

will pakistan get an extra fee from bangladesh/india since the pipe is still going through pakistan to both nations

I dont know international trade law that Pakistan will get extra fee if it goes to BD but yes if it goes to India then India have to pay some fees to Pakistan and similarly BD has to pay to India.

yes BD has to pay both India and Pakistan. May be 50 mln more kick back from BD for extra load to pakistan. Big DADA India will give us free I suppose because they are so much dying to help us all along... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

yes BD has to pay both India and Pakistan. May be 50 mln more kick back from BD for extra load to pakistan. Big DADA India will give us free I suppose because they are so much dying to help us all along... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually India could recover what it may have to pay to Pakistan in terms of transit costs / fee from BD as the pipe line will travel across India. That way India gets its gas from Iran at selling price.An exclusive pipe line for BD is a good idea.

Anyway this deal is far .

I agree about the non-state actors.

But the whole purpose of this "peace pipeline" is to promote a basic level of trust or aversion to conflict between the involved nations, along with the economic development that will be the result of it. This should be good incentive for Pakistan (or India in case of BD) to specially safeguard the pipeline from non-state actors. By adding BD, India would not be the last recipient, i.e. the only one at the mercy of Pakistan disturbing the supply. Also, Iran is interested in improving relations with India, or, already has good relations with India. So altogether, there'd be 3 countries now (Iran, India, BD) that would be aversive to Pakistan using it as a political tool in times of conflict. If Pakistan plans to disturb the supply to India, India and BD could band together to pressure Iran to warn Pakistan that supply to it could also be compromised if it decides to use the IPIB pipeline as a political tool in times of escalation.

First of all strategic things like oil pipelines cant be subjected to the emotions of trust that too among blood-rivals like India and Pakistan where emotions fluctuate at the drop of hat.

Secondly what we asked from Iran was a very legitimate thing - guarentee the delivery of oil/gas at our (Indian) borders.They couldn agree to it.So if you want to blame anyone ,blame Iran..not India.

Thirdly - what pressure you are talking about?? you can pressure the Government..but can you prssure the Non-state actors..some of them who are still seen as strategic assets by a section of the Pakistani establishment. NO.

Fourthly - the proposed pipeline is to pass through Balochistan - one of the most troublesome spots in Pakistan..that too especially notorious for blowing up of pipelines.

If hostilities are seriously on the rise, Iran could consider stopping the supply to all 3 countries for a certain amount of time, in order to guard against the wastage of gas in case of an impending attack and also to discourage escalation of conflict, until things have cooled down a bit.

And what we will do for our automobiles for that time till it cools off.

For example after the Parliament attack both armies stood face to face for 10 months.

p.s.: I want this pipeline because it will cut down costs to a great extent..But unfortunately given the present geo-political conditions and the history between our two nations..its unfortunately not possible.

Maybe if China is the end-user India will agree to it..As Pakistan will think thrice before shutting down the valves then.

Back
Top Bottom