What's new

Bangladesh VS Ireland on 25th Feb 2011

monitor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Bangladesh going to take on Ireland tomorrow .Very important match for Bangladesh if they want to go to the super eight . unless Bangladesh win in this match it may be tough for Bangladesh to elevate Bangladesh into the next level . So dear members lets discuss tomorrows match .

Tigers out to crush Irish dream

Author / Source : Sports Reporter

DHAKA, Feb 23: Mushfiqur Rahim, wicketkeeper batsman of the Bangladesh side, dismissed Irish threat of spoiling Bangladesh’s party, stressing that the Tigers will strive to make sure that they leave the field as victors. Rahim’s comments came three days after Irish wicketkeeper-cum opener Niall O’Brien expressed Ireland’s aspiration to upset Bangladesh at their own backyard, replicating their previous World Cup feat.
“We know that they are good enough to beat any team on their day. If they can play to their potential they can pose a serious threat to the bigger sides. However, we are confident in our abilities and are determined to crush their dream of upsetting us,” the gloveman told reporters after Bangladesh’s training session at the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium on Wednesday.
The diminutive Rahim has personal ambition for the encounter against the European team as well. “I’ve a definite personal goal which I want to achieve in the match,” Rahim said.
“If I get the chance to bat at the top order, I want to play a big knock in a winning cause,” the Bogra-lad elaborated.
Rahim stressed upon the need to play to the best of the Tigers’ ability in order to take revenge against the Irish for the loss in the previous World Cup.
“The bitter memory of that loss still haunts us. We drew the series against them eight months back on their home soil. And we also lost to them in the Twenty20 World Cup. We are desperate to win against them this time around. We need to play our best cricket and if we manage to do so, the revenge mission would be accomplished,” Rahim said.
He stated that the team would rely on the left arm spinners to dismantle the Irish who has been staying and practicing here for the last one week and claim to have adapted to the local conditions.
However Rahim does not agree with the Irish view. “No matter how long they have been practicing here, it is not easy for them to adapt. Also they do not have any world class spinner like us. And I don’t think their batsmen are capable enough to tackle our spinners effectively. If we manage to play to our potential, the Irish have little chance of success,” he warned.
Mushfiqur Rahim, batting in the number five position, threw his wicket away in the last match against India after getting well set. Obviously this did not help the Bangladeshi cause as they slowed down during the powerplay overs. He is being considered to be promoted up the order and play at the crucial number four position in the next match against Ireland.
“I am used to playing at the position in domestic cricket and have also turned out for the national team as a number four batsman. So it’s not a problem for me at all. But I am definitely aware of the fact that I need to contribute a big score for the side if I do play second down,” he commented.
Many experts and fans are predicting that the pressure will be on Bangladesh to beat Ireland, specially after their loss to India in the tournament opener. Mushfiqur Rahim however is ready to dismiss all the talk of pressure, rather he takes the match as a challenge.
“When we play against comparatively weaker teams like Ireland, Kenya or Zimbabwe, everyone wants Bangladesh to win. I don’t think it’s a pressure issue at all, rather I think it’s a challenge to fulfill our supporters’ aspirations,” he said.
“We’ve been practicing seriously and the players are determined to leave their mark on the field ” he said.

Bangladesh-vs-Ireland-CricketWorldCup2011live.Com_.jpg

This is the first of the crucial matches for bangladesh. The others will be against West Indies and Holland. They need to win those three to qualify for the next round, because matches against India, South Africa, and England are supposed to be much much tougher.

Tigers Face Ireland Today
Win is order of the day

Mohammad Isam

The Bangladesh cricket team will experience the other side of the coin against Ireland today in their World Cup group B encounter, a game where they will be firm favourites.

A full house crowd is again expected at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur as the Tigers take on a less-fancied side who are considered weak against the turning ball and under sub-continent conditions. But the Irish camp could take heart from the sudden spate of injuries in the Tigers' camp, forcing the think-tank into uncertainty over the composition of the starting eleven.

After paceman Shafiul Islam and opener Imrul Kayes suffered injuries during Wednesday's training, the mood within the team turned slightly sombre yesterday with a few faces clearly telling the story of pressure. Skipper Shakib Al Hasan, sweat pouring from his face during the press conference yesterday, was uncertain over Shafiul's fate after the Bogra lad fell badly on his right shoulder. Nazmul Hossain has been asked to be mentally prepared to play the game if Shafiul fails the fitness test in the morning while it is all but confirmed that Mohammad Ashraful will replace Mahmudullah Riyad to bolster the lower-order. The unpredictable right-hander will be specifically asked to free up the game during the batting Powerplay, a chink in the Tigers' armour.

But despite the forced changes and the so-called weaker opposition, it will be Bangladesh who will face the most pressure to win and Shakib knows what they are up to.

"It's a must-win situation for us. To qualify, we have to start winning and win this game first," he said, though adding that the visitors' team spirit is one of their strengths.

"They are a good team and have been playing together for quite some time now. They have been playing well for the last 2-3 years. But we just need to play our normal game to do well in this game," added Shakib.

In an important match such as today's, the underdogs usually feel less pressure and little is expected from them, but Ireland captain William Porterfield believed that his team's surprise factor is waning away. "That's to be expected, we've been playing against the top teams in the world. It's important that we put ourselves in different situations and perform under pressure," said the 26-year-old.

Ireland is certainly the best among the four Associate Nations taking part in this tournament and some of their stars have joined the England ranks after performing well in the county scene. Even the current team has seven who ply their trade in England's first-class system while another youngster is considered the next big thing.

"We have got Boyd Rankin, no matter what sort of surface he's bowling on, he can be a handful for batsmen because of his height. Paul Stirling at the top of the order is an exciting young prospect who can change games for us," explained Porterfield, who plays for Gloucestershire.

But the Tigers' spin attack will test the visitors whose last visit to these shores proved to be a bitter experience. "We beat them 3-0 in 2008 in Mirpur. They will find it difficult to handle our spin and also the crowd is behind us," said Shakib, though it will be paramount that the No 1 all-rounder in the world does his best with the ball in hand in tandem with Abdur Razzak.

Bangladesh have won the toss and decided to Bat first
Asrafulis is in Mahamudullah out

I only have razzak in my fantacy team, hope he will take wickets today..

Thankfully B'desh have moved past their obsession/dependence on Ashraful. Currently he's fighting to keep his place in the side.

Bangladesh have many players with a better temperament than Ashraful

Back
Top Bottom