What's new

Bangladesh to become the 2nd biggest economy in SA

kobiraaz

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Pakistan

In absolute terms, Pakistan lost its market share by one third, whereas India has doubled its market share during the last 12 years, official data available with Dawn reveals.

In 1999, India’s share in global trade was 0.67 per cent, which scaled up to 1.28 per cent in 2011 despite global recession. Even Bangladesh’s global market share in 1999 was 0.06 per cent, which now has doubled and reached to 0.14 per cent — equivalent to Pakistan’s share.

In South Asia, experts say Bangladesh will soon clinch the title of the second biggest economy after India. The title entertained Pakistan for years, but with the tremendous increase in the exports, Bangladesh is pacing fast to replace the former.

Pakistan is the only country which has a stagnant global market share despite the fact the government has taken a range of measures for liberalising its imports regime as compared to its neighbouring countries.

Pakistan’s exports fell to $23.64 billion in 2011-12 from $24.82 billion in 2010-11, showing a decline of 4.75 per cent. Contrary to this, world trade expanded by five per cent in 2011 compared to 13.8 per cent growth in 2010. The data reveals that Pakistan exports to Asian countries slightly fell to $11.709 billion in 2010-11 from $11.556 billion in 2011-12, showing a decline of 1.3pc. However, the share of Asian countries in Pakistan’s exports stood around 47pc.

Similarly, Pakistan’s exports to Europe also fell to $5.957 billion in 2011-12 from $6.537 billion in 2010-11, showing a decline of 8.87 per cent. After Asia, Europe has around 26 per cent share in Pakistan’s total exports proceeds.

The third biggest market for Pakistan’s export is American region, where Pakistan’s exports declined to $4.227 billion in 2011-12 from $4.755 billion in 2010-11, reflecting a decline of 11 per cent. The American region has approximately 19pc share in Pakistan’s exports market.

After striking a free trade agreement with China, Pakistan’s imports from China reached to $6.61 billion in 2011-12 from $4.41 billion in 2009-10, showing an increase of 49.9 per cent.

An official said that after FTA with China, China has emerged as a major import source for Pakistan for almost all goods — raw materials, industrial goods or consumer items. While Pakistan’s exported only $2.08 billion worth goods to China in 2011-12 as against $1.15bn in 2009-10.

Contrary to this, Afghanistan has emerged the leading export market for Pakistan where Pakistan’s exports increased to $2.16 billion in 2011-12 as against $1.57 billion in 2009-10, showing an increase of 38 per cent. Pakistan has no free trade agreement with Afghanistan, but exports increased manifold in the past few years negating the argument that free trade agreement increase the flows of exports.

Bangladesh has potential because it had hard working people and peaceful environment. No mullah and tali-baboons running wild killing people. A lot of my family members have recently started to move their investments to Bangladesh.

It is sad to see that Pakistan is competing with Nepal & Bhutan.....instead of competing with Bangladesh and Srilanka.....

Whoa! Slow down there mate. Who told you Bhutan was that terrible? Its standards of living are pretty good by the region's standards and entire population gets three square meals a day. Nepal though has to really improve and once Nepali people wake up and choose someone progressive, I am sure they can be the Austria of south Asia.

How big is Sri lankan economy ?

The Lankans have a good standard of living mate. I can't recollect the figures but it is better than ours when it comes to living per person standards. Due to a small base, they may seem less significant but they're good.

Arre kya baat hai , mubarkaan ji mubarkaan :lol:

Whoa! Slow down there mate. Who told you Bhutan was that terrible? Its standards of living are pretty good by the region's standards and entire population gets three square meals a day. Nepal though has to really improve and once Nepali people wake up and choose someone progressive, I am sure they can be the Austria of south Asia.

The Lankans have a good standard of living mate. I can't recollect the figures but it is better than ours when it comes to living per person standards. Due to a small base, they may seem less significant but they're good.

I think he was comparing with Bhutan and Nepal in the context of overall GDP and not in terms of per capita :)

Back
Top Bottom