What's new

Avalanches hit Kashmir Valley; at least 9 soldiers killed

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
Two major avalanches hit Kashmir Valley, 9 jawans killed

At least nine Army jawans were killed today as avalanches struck two army camps in Ganderbal and Bandipora districts of Kashmir Valley.

15 jawans were pulled out alive from the thick snow, which buried several Army shelters.

A massive avalanche struck the workshop of 109 infantry brigade of Army posted at Dawar in Gurez area of Bandipora district during the intervening night, a defence spokesman said.

He said at least 21 jawans were buried under the avalanche.

"We have so far rescued 15 soldiers and recovered bodies of six others," he added.

Another avalanche struck Sonamarg area of Ganderbal district killing three Army jawans in their camp, the spokesman said.

Authorities had issued medium avalanche warning for both Sonamarg and Gurez areas following fresh snowfall in the higher reaches of the Valley.

Avalanches hit Kashmir Valley; at least 9 soldiers killed - Indian Express

Big tragedy: Deadly J&K avalanches kill 17 armymen, many trapped--The toll in the J&K avalanches has gone up to 17. Three soldiers have been killed in Dawar, while at least 14 are feared dead in Sonmarg, with officials saying that the toll is likely to rise further.

I thought India was practicing controlled explosions to promote avalanches, at least that is what is done in the US an Europe. I wonder why it not done here as well.

I thought India was practicing controlled explosions to promote avalanches, at least that is what is done in the US an Europe. I wonder why it not done here as well.

You can't prevent every single such event, they are by nature incredibly unpredictable. This is one of th emany dangers these brave men face in trying to protect their homeland, thankfully these events are few and far between but when they do happen they are disastrous.

RIP soldiers die on the battlefield not freak occurences

soo if any frnd of urz dies tom, what do u say burn in hell, just coz he didnt die fighting a battle. u dumbass. i have no better words for u

Go off yourself mate I merely meant soldiers deserve their dieing breath on the battlefield rather it taken away from them unpreparedly in a freak occurance.

Back
Top Bottom