What's new

At the WEF’s ‘India Summit’

I am not referring to this single thread alone when i say "great lengths".
Well then, you can point out to me where I have gone to 'great lengths to point out India's anarchy and poverty'.

Tell me how does an illiterate talib discern the name, designation , rank, unit of an officer by looking at the uniform? The talib guy probably uses ISI while referring to Pak mil/af etc. I do not doubt the veracity of the BBC report.
So basically you admitted that the illiterate Talib wouldn't really know whether or not the people he was dealing with were from the ISI, and yet you still see fit to claim that you 'do not doubt the veracity of the BBC report'

There are pak militant launchpads located all over Pakistan occupied Kashmir. The general belief is that it is the hostile external elements pushing for "lifting the AFSPA" in Kashmir. Simply put, we cannot ignore the threat posed by your country and its institutions. Lately the Indian Army has done a tremendous job of reducing the threat level in kashmir. Lifting the AFSPA would be like rolling back every effort made to ensure the peace prevailing in the region.
Launch pads all over AK, surely you then have satellite images or geographical coordinates we could use google earth to locate these camps then ...

Oh wait, its just more unsubstantiated BS, and you really don't have any evidence to support Indian allegations.

Let me put this in perspective, India is not prepared nor willing to let go of Kashmir. Deal with it. Or, you could simply start by making Pakistan occupied Kashmir a new country and expect India to follow suit.
errrr .... no.
Lol really? We seem to be doing pretty well without it.....
On this you and I both disagree with the author - I don't see a common South Asian economy or currency as necessarily being to Pakistan's advantage.
Truer words have never been said before ...:)
As the old saying goes, 'for the blind, even a one eyed pauper appears a Prince ...' .. ;)

.... all of which offers nothing in the way of supporting/refuting the arguments/opinions/views made in the article, especially in the highlighted sections.

Actually the opinion could have been dismissed even easily akin to the PKR for what it is worth with every sunrise. The attempt was to in fact drive at the motivation of the opinion published. Always try to listen to the message through the cacophony :).

Read again the portions I have have bolded - black as well as red.
Read again in the context of the entire paragraph, and how the argument is started and what it is referring to:

"As one of those who strongly believe that with certain caveats India must have MFN status, this rhetoric rankles. No partnership can sustain such constant negative rhetoric."

Read again in the context of the entire paragraph, and how the argument is started and what it is referring to:

"As one of those who strongly believe that with certain caveats India must have MFN status, this rhetoric rankles. No partnership can sustain such constant negative rhetoric."

Author belong to which nation?

.... all of which offers nothing in the way of supporting/refuting the arguments/opinions/views made in the article, especially in the highlighted sections.

I think he is questioning the credibility of the author itself..

which still says little about the irrelevance of Ikram's comments about the WEF proceedings, which seems to be the purported subject of his piece.
I would take Ikram more seriously if he wrote directly about military/defence matters given that it is his usual remit (in his journal) and also allowing that he wore the tabs of a Major in the PA. And that is how he usually occupies himself.
But as a socio-economic writer.................hunh.

IIRC, it's Major Ikram Sehgal, Ret. (Pakistani Army), the author of this masterpiece. He has been invited to video chat a number of times by NDTV. Discussing caste problems on the WEF meet can only be this guy.

which still says little about the irrelevance of Ikram's comments about the WEF proceedings, which seems to be the purported subject of his piece.
I would take Ikram more seriously if he wrote directly about military/defence matters given that it is his usual remit (in his journal) and also allowing that he wore the tabs of a Major in the PA. And that is how he usually occupies himself.
But as a socio-economic writer.................hunh.

IIRC, it's Major Ikram Sehgal, Ret. (Pakistani Army), the author of this masterpiece. He has been invited to video chat a number of times by NDTV. Discussing caste problems on the WEF meet can only be this guy.
Ikram was not talking about the 'WEF's proceedings' nor did he at any point indicate he was - he merely used the location and event (At the WEF's India Summit) as a starting point for his piece.

Reading a little more carefully instead of giving in to anti-Pakistan biases and coming to erroneous conclusions and interpretations about the article and what it was trying to say would be helpful ...

Most of what is there in OP is almost what a 8th standard student would write in an essay for school exam.

All the "rightful points" are duly mentioned, the caste system, the slums, the poverty et al.

I think we should be OK with co-operation, in fact welcome it.

26/11 type terror attacks by the "non state actors" and sheltering terrorists like Dawood (and marriage of that totala's daughter to his son is a proof) don't really help. In fact the continued patronage to the LET goons and their terror factories give a lie to the "non state" theory. In addition to the obvious sham of the trial.

I think India has managed well over the last two decades. Normal relations are welcome. If the other side doesn't wish that, it doesn't slow us down appreciably.

We have managed to factor it in I guess.

Ikram was not talking about the 'WEF's proceedings' nor did he at any point indicate he was - he merely used the location and event (At the WEF's India Summit) as a starting point for his piece.

Reading a little more carefully instead of giving in to anti-Pakistan biases and coming to erroneous conclusions and interpretations about the article and what it was trying to say would be helpful ...

Whatever takes your fancy, AM.
I have no need to give into any biases, least of all anti-pakistani ones (did you find any such in my post that you have quoted?)
Can the same (no biases?)be said about Ikram Sehgal? But even that is not my point in any case.

Its simply this: If Salman Rushdie speaks about Aviation Turbine Technology (EG) or Shakira writes about Particle Physics(EG); would any of us have to lend much credence?
And how helpful would that be to anybody, really?

Anyone you met in India was vociferous about civilian supremacy over the military in a democracy. My question was: how, then, was the Indian Army vociferously and publicly objecting to the proposal by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to curb the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in Indian-Occupied Kashmir?

How is Army publicly objecting to something that directly affects them akin to Military supremacy on Civilians? They are just using their democratic right of voicing their concern. It would have been an example of military supremacy had IA took a cue from PA and organize a Coup d'état.

As one of those who strongly believe that with certain caveats India must have MFN status, this rhetoric rankles. No partnership can sustain such constant negative rhetoric. South Asia is going nowhere without ultimately having one economy and one currency, the political preferences of each constituent has to be respected or otherwise there can be no deal. While rich Indians are certainly living in a different orbit, if not planet, than ours, a vast majority of Indians live in conditions as bad, or worse, than ours. Only with a truly South Asian Common Market is poverty alleviation possible for the vast mass of the desperately poor in the subcontinent, an overwhelming percentage of whom are Indians. Unfortunately for some super-rich Indian businessmen, the states on India’s periphery have become akin to “low caste” ones; indeed, they do not seem to exist for them. Indian policymakers, in government and outside, must recognise that as the economic engine of growth they have a responsibility to the people of the other states that surround India.

How can Pakistan help to alleviate poverty and inequality in India, Pakistan is a non-entity; I'd say Bangladesh could help us more in this regard than Pakistan as East India lags most behind among various regions of India.

Why should they? Unemployment will rise and aid from their all weather friend dry up. As well as all the massage parlour will go back to their homeland. Let us leave them on their own to bring about real change.

I now repeat my statement of Today 12:02 AM :

At the WEF’s ‘India Summit’

Ikram Sehgal
Thursday, November 17, 2011

1. Unfortunately for some super-rich Indian businessmen, the states on India’s periphery have become akin to “low caste” ones; indeed, they do not seem to exist for them. 2. Indian policymakers, in government and outside, must recognise that as the economic engine of growth they have a responsibility to the people of the other states that surround India.

The writer is a defence and political analyst. Email: isehgal@pathfinder9.com

At the WEF

I now enumerate the points which the Esteemed Colonel is using to supplicate India’s Help

1. Unfortunately for some super-rich Indian businessmen, the states on India’s periphery have become akin to “low caste” ones; indeed, they do not seem to exist for them.

Why does the Colonel want the Indian super-rich business men to think, delve etc. about the “states in India’s periphery” ( surely he means Pakistan in Particular as who is he, as a Pakistani, to worry about India’s Other neighbours.) He wants this class of Indians to consider the existence of Pakistan which the stated Class of Indians is possibly at the moment not willing to do.

2. 2. Indian policymakers, in government and outside, must recognize that as the economic engine of growth they have a responsibility to the people of the other states that surround India.

Why is the Esteemed Colonel counselling the Indian policymakers to be “responsible for the people of the other states that surround India”? Surely, no other nation other than Pakistan is being referred to in the Colonel’s statement.

Pakistan does not need anybody’s help in General or India’s in Particular. All the Pakistani Leaders have to do is to Canalise Pakistan’s Resources for the Pakistani Peoples’ benefits and not in an attempt to destroy India or fatten their own Off Shore Bank Accounts - Of course the Indian Leaders also fatten their Off Shore Bank Accounts but then they do not go about Begging all and sundry for "Economic and Financial Aid, Grants and Loans etc.

If Pakistani Leadership continues to use Pakistan’s Resources for Frivolous Purposes then not all the help from the rest of the World will improve Pakistan’s Position

Whether Pakistani Leadership of the present genre is willing to look after the Interests of its People or not is for the Pakistani Leadership to decide and for the People to suffer or benefit.

Back
Top Bottom