What's new

At least 740 killed in Karachi in five months: HRCP

Reaction score
Country
India
KARACHI: Ethnic, sectarian and politically-linked violence in Pakistan’s financial capital Karachi has killed at least 740 people so far this year, a human rights organisation said Tuesday.

Parts of the port city have become battlegrounds, with authorities unable to prevent violence blamed on activists from political parties representing rival ethnic groups.

“About 740 people have been the victims of violent shootings in the last five months,” Zohra Yusuf, chair of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP), told AFP.

The HRCP said last year a total of 1,715 people were killed in violent flare-ups in the city, which is Pakistan’s biggest with an estimated population of 17 million.

The attacks often lead to punishing financial losses for Pakistan’s economy as swathes of Karachi go into lockdown, with residents fleeing the violence and shops and markets closing.

“People are being killed with impunity by various ethnic groups while the government, it seems, has little control to put an end to it,” Yusuf said.

The figures include the assassination of 107 political activists, while the rest of the victims were people with no political affiliations, HRCP said.

At least 740 killed in Karachi in five months: HRCP | DAWN.COM

Karachi is a city where people are packed upon each other.

Pakistan needs some serious zoning, housing, pollution regulations which will end these slums being build up within the city.

I have never been to Karachi, my parents are from Lahore and thank god for that. :)

Lahore > Karachi :D

Pakistan needs some serious zoning, housing, pollution regulations which will end these slums being build up within the city.

I have never been to Karachi, my parents are from Lahore and thank god for that. :)

Do you know what ethnic, sectarian and politically-linked violence means ?

Areas of Mumbai are probably much worse than Karachi when comparing housing/pollution/zoning, but that does not lead to ethnic or political violence. Are you a Pakistani or a Lahori ?

Do you know what ethnic, sectarian and politically-linked violence means ?

Areas of Mumbai are probably much worse than Karachi when comparing housing/pollution/zoning, but that does not lead to ethnic or political violence. Are you a Pakistani or a Lahori ?

It means people need their own ethnic neighbourhoods and not be packed like sardines.

With proper zoning, housing laws in place, people cannot be crammed into these congested neighbourhoods which will ease these tensions

It means people need their own ethnic neighbourhoods and not be packed like sardines.

With proper zoning, housing laws in place, people cannot be crammed into these congested neighbourhoods which will ease these tensions

So you are saying the cause of all this violence is lack of proper housing ? Or are you saying different Pakistani ethnic neighborhoods cannot share space with each other ? The article states that politicians are involved, so who is supposed to improve the housing?

http://dawn.com/2012/06/05/four-dead-in-incidents-of-violence-in-karachi/

KARACHI: Four people were killed in incidents of violence in Karachi on Tuesday, DawnNews reported.

A man’s body bearing torture marks was recovered from Mauripur Road. The man had been shot dead.

In another incident near the old vegetable market, a CID police official was shot dead. The official was shot four times and had died instantly.

Moreover, a woman’s beheaded body was found in Karachi’s Surjani Town area.

Separately in the city’s Garden area, gunmen opened fire on a decoration shop, killing one.

Earlier on Monday, five people, including three workers and a supporter of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement, were shot dead in targeted killings, police said.

What about this ?

So you are saying the cause of all this violence is lack of proper housing ? Or are you saying different Pakistani ethnic neighborhoods cannot share space with each other ? The article states that politicians are involved, so who is supposed to improve the housing?

Four dead in incidents of violence in Karachi | DAWN.COM

KARACHI: Four people were killed in incidents of violence in Karachi on Tuesday, DawnNews reported.

A man’s body bearing torture marks was recovered from Mauripur Road. The man had been shot dead.

In another incident near the old vegetable market, a CID police official was shot dead. The official was shot four times and had died instantly.

Moreover, a woman’s beheaded body was found in Karachi’s Surjani Town area.

Separately in the city’s Garden area, gunmen opened fire on a decoration shop, killing one.

Earlier on Monday, five people, including three workers and a supporter of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement, were shot dead in targeted killings, police said.

What about this ?

Well housing is a big part of it.

If all these pathans, balochis are spread out and living in different areas of the city, isntead of being congested into these tiny slum areas, where there is no infrastrucutre to support their needs.

that creates black markets and crime which feeds into this vicious cycle.

so proper housing regulations which are properly enforced will solve a large part of this problem

but who am i kididing...this won't happen in my life time

Well housing is a big part of it.

If all these pathans, balochis are spread out and living in different areas of the city, isntead of being congested into these tiny slum areas, where there is no infrastrucutre to support their needs.

that creates black markets and crime which feeds into this vicious cycle.

so proper housing regulations which are properly enforced will solve a large part of this problem

but who am i kididing...this won't happen in my life time

If you and other Pakistanis take the initiative to stop this nonsensical loss of human life, stop voting for these politicians murdering their own people, stop supporting the powers that be who are incharge of all this, then inshallah all this will stop. Rather than being silent observers it is time to become participants of the course of Pakistan's destiny, so that later you have nothing to regret no matter what happens.

I've been to Lahore and I have to say
Karachi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lahore

Hazrat Umar(Razillah tahala anho) said one time that even a dog stays hungry in my country i fear that how i will answer Allah Subhanao
Zardari, gilani, kayani, iltaf, asfandyar are all responsible for these killing
Mr% how u can enjoy life with billions when all country is cursing you, just see what happened to Qaddafi, mubarak and so on, billions disappear

Pakistan needs some serious zoning, housing, pollution regulations which will end these slums being build up within the city

some times i wonder are you too young for your daddy giving you a computer :lol:

immature idiot kid

What happens in Karachi does not bother rest of pakistan much at all. In comparison what happens in Mumbai has huge echo across India and all Indians are able to identify with it.

Its difficult to understand.

Karachi has seen violence everyday for 30 years.

Mumbai has seen violence once-twice a year.

If something happens in Lahore or Islamabad, there is huge echo since these are the two big cities that have always been relatively peaceful.

Karachi has seen violence everyday for 30 years.

Mumbai has seen violence once-twice a year.

If something happens in Lahore or Islamabad, there is huge echo since these are the two big cities that have always been relatively peaceful.

karachi was peaceful from 2000 to 2008/09

Back
Top Bottom