What's new

Astra Missile - india, Pakistan's reply?

Averroes

Reaction score
What Systems do Pakistan use? I can't seem to find the relevant information on this site.

I found this Astra missile on wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_missile

Specifications

First test: May 9, 2003
Total length: 3570 mm (11.7 ft)
Diameter: 7 in (178 mm )
Wingspan: 10 in (254 mm)
Weight: 154 kg (339 lb) < 250 kg (550 lb) including launcher
Warhead :15 kg (33 lb) HE fragmentation directional warhead Fuze: Radar proximity fuze
Propulsion: solid fuel
Maximum speed: Mach 4 +
Maximum effective range: 80 km head on, 15 km tail chase, over 100 km (eventually)
Maximum altitude: 20 km (66,000 ft)
Minimum altitude: sea level
Missile g load: 40 g (400 m/s²)
Target g load: 9 g (90 m/s²)
Guidance mode: Inertial + mid-course update & terminal active radar (15 km) Launch aircraft speed: Mach 0.6 to 2.2 Data is based on handouts and discussion at DRDO stall AERO INDIA 2003 & 05.

Pakistan will receive some old version Amraams with the F-16s they're getting ( if it goes through, now they want Pakistan to promie they wont share intel? ) , and what do they use before getting them?

Any regards as how they match up to indias?

How do you block lock ons with these sort of air to air missiles, says this one has 100 km range eventually, that's quite scary odds. u have a missile at subsonic speed when u can't even see a fighter in the air. Flaring? Jam it?

Thanks

:army:

Averröes said:
What Systems do Pakistan use? I can't seem to find the relevant information on this site.

I found this Astra missile on wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_missile

Pakistan will receive some old version Amraams with the F-16s they're getting ( if it goes through, now they want Pakistan to promie they wont share intel? ) , and what do they use before getting them?

Any regards as how they match up to indias?

How do you block lock ons with these sort of air to air missiles, says this one has 100 km range eventually, that's quite scary odds. u have a missile at subsonic speed when u can't even see a fighter in the air. Flaring? Jam it?

Thanks

:army:
Brother,
Pakistan will recieveAMRAAM 120C5 version,which would be the most advanced version of AMRAAM in this arena. Ithink our neighbours are having a few sleepless nights at the moment. I would not believe all that you read on Wikipedia. It is not always that updated and prone to "interference". I am sure other more knowledgeable members would answer your other question as I do not have the appropriate background.
I hope this helps.
Araz

Astra, according to the article will have a strike range of 80 km. It's more in range and comparison to the PL-12 Air-to-air missile for the JH-17 warplane. The latest Aim-120 definetly improved Pakistans air-to-air capabilities, but lets not forgot India also has long range Russian R-73 and R-77 equipped on their latest Flankers and Migs. Lets not get to carried away here guys.

Astra: basically an Indian version of the R-77.
e605ef7ec1f0db96ff732ac53955f687.jpg

d9db8cead334fff1866f6271ae48b6b5.jpg

54a91a6c669c3ce1fc4085ba34198d46.jpg

We are getting SD-10

The SD-10 is a BVRAAM (Beyond visual range Air to Air Missile) developed for the Pakistan Air Force & People's Liberation Army Air Force. The early versions are speculated to be at least equivalent to United States' AIM-120B AMRAAM system. BVRAAMs have become a very important weapon in modern air-to-air combat & have become a requirement of every Air Force.

The countries which were denied AIM-120 AMRAAMs by the US have gradually become interested in the concurrent JF-17 program because of the SD-10, but both China & Pakistan are reluctant to sell it. Egypt for one became interested in JF-17 because of SD-10. They are also interested in Technology transfer of JF-17 it self. Earlier China had agreed technology transfer of K-8 advance trainers to Egypt. However it is speculated that Egypt too like North Korea, Bangladesh, Nigeria & Zimbabwe would be denied SD-10 early on.

Besides JF-17 Thunder the SD-10 will also be mounted on China's J-10 fighters. Some F-7 PG versions may also be mounted with it, however it would still not save F-7s from being grounded & mostly be replaced by JF-17s.

Specifications for SD-10
  • Length: 3.85 m
  • Body diameter: 203 mm
  • Wing span: n/k
  • Launch weight: 180 kg
  • Warhead: HE fragmentation
  • Fuze: Active proximity fuse
  • Guidance: Inertial mid-course and /or datalink updates, with active radar terminal homing
  • Propulsion: Solid dual-thrust rocket motor
  • Range: At least 70 Km in early version

I doubt that the Indian Astra missile would be better than the SD-10. China after all with their proven track record did develop the SD-10. The fact that anything that India tries to build on their own, it always comes out in faults. Nothing just seems to ever work for them, cough* LCA and Arjun anybody?

MOO said:
I doubt that the Indian Astra missile would be better than the SD-10. China after all with their proven track record did develop the SD-10. The fact that anything that India tries to build on their own, it always comes out in faults. Nothing just seems to ever work for them, cough* LCA and Arjun anybody?

Fancy words dont equate to the reality.

The fact is that thanks to the Arjun & the LCA, India can now upgrade its tanks & aircraft on its own, with its design engineers leading the process as well as take part as equals in multi-national projects.

Do wake us up when Pakistan achieves the same. If ever.

Fancy words dont equate to the reality.

The fact is that thanks to the Arjun & the LCA, India can now upgrade its tanks & aircraft on its own, with its design engineers leading the process as well as take part as equals in multi-national projects.

Do wake us up when Pakistan achieves the same. If ever.

Pakistan has been doing this for years with its F-16 and Mirage fleet, let's not forget the upgraded tanks and the Al-Khalid.....

I admit it's ignorant to ignore the advances India has made even if the LCA and the Arjun did not turn out as well as they hoped but your post is just as bad.

Can any one provides info. about A-Darter and T-Darter? are these joint ventures between pakistan and S.A??

The A darter is set to be a fantastic Air to air missile with some of the worlds leading companies in defence research contributing to its make up. Here is a link showing BAE coming on board with their new inertial measurement unit.

A new solid-state inertial measurement unit (SiIMU02) developed by BAE Systems has been selected to provide mid-course guidance for the new A-Darter air-to-air missile produced by Denel Aerospace Systems of South Africa.
A fifth-generation, infrared-guided air-to-air missile system, A-Darter has been designed to meet the challenges of future air combat against fighters equipped with sophisticated electronic countermeasures.

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/BAE..._Selected_For_New_Air_to_air_Missile_999.html

They are not joint ventures as far as I know but there is deep cooperation with the PAF and Denel Aerospace Systems especially with regards to the air to air missile projects. I can’t wait for the testing phase of this baby….

Here is some more

Denel offers Pakistan missile deal
Denel of South Africa is offering Pakistan a package of air-to-air weaponry for its planned Chengdu Super 7 fighter being jointly developed with China. It includes a proposed joint development of a datalink-equipped radar-guided beyond visual range (BVR) missile.

The Pakistan air force confirms it is evaluating a range of active-guided BVR missiles, including the newly proposed T-Darter development by Denel's Kentron. The air force's Super 7 chief project director, Air Vice Marshal Hamid Khawaja, describes the South African missile as "very impressive on paper".

T-Darter is understood to be a further development of Kentron's radar-equipped R-Darter now in low-rate production and Ramjet-powered S-Darter or LRAAM.
The new proposed air-breathing missile would incorporate a datalink for mid-course guidance updates and effective target engagements at ranges in excess of 50km (27nm).

The South African company acknowledges "Kentron has been discussing various proposals for air-to-air missiles with the Pakistan air force. These proposals include the U-Darter and derivatives of the Darter family, such as the fifth generation A-Darter missile, as well as the ramjet technology developed by Denel's Sochem division."

Pakistan is keen to acquire a BVR capability to counter the Indian air force's likely acquisition of the Vympel AA-12 (R-77) to arm its new Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighters and upgraded MiG-29 and MiG-21bis. India also has its indigenous Astra programme.

"They (India) have the advantage," claims Pakistan's chief of air staff Air Chief Marshal Parvaiz Mehdi Qureshi, "-the Su-30s will definitely come with the AA-12 and they also plan to upgrade their other air defence aircraft. We're looking at various BVRs, be it the French (Matra-BAe) Mica, the Russian AA-12 and there are others like South Africa. "We would also like to develop something ourselves in collaboration with others," says Qureshi.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/1999/02/24/48464/Denel+offers+Pakistan+missile+deal.html

The Astra will be in the same league as the Arjun, LCA, and other indian made weapons, if you know what I mean :)

Back
Top Bottom