What's new

Arguments of choosing JF-17 Thunder over JAS-39 Gripen

Sir, Twin engines burn fuel as well, you see...

Twin engine jets are mostly so as they are designed to carry more payload, thus increasing their weight, and, in turn, increasing the amount of thrust needed to power them on. If the loadout on the single-engined and twin-engined jet is the same, then the twin-engined jet has an advantage... that it can carry more fuel (both as it is not fully loaded, and the fact that it has extra hardpoints for external tanks).
However, having less payload-carrying-capability should not limit the single-engined aircraft, as severely as you state, in deep strike missions.

Furthermore, I don't think it is standard practice in heavy-fighter equipped Airforces to switch off one engine in flight... I maybe wrong though. But even then, in case of a missile hit, the chances of survival for both types of aircraft are based on sheer luck.

Alright cupcake,

The single-engined fighters can travel and simultaneously hit the Northern,Eastern,Western and Southern Air commands of India without the need of external fuel pods and carrying it's full arsenal of weapons.Whereas,the SU-30 MKIs and MIG-29s will drop out of the sky because they will get starved of fuel.Satisfied?

You have your defense sources while I've lived the defense life.No offense,but I rather believe what our pilots have to state on the matter.

Alright cupcake,

The single-engined fighters can travel and simultaneously hit the Northern,Eastern,Western and Southern Air commands of India without the need of external fuel pods and carrying it's full arsenal of weapons.Whereas,the SU-30 MKIs and MIG-29s will drop out of the sky because they will get starved of fuel.Satisfied?

You have your defense sources while I've lived the defense life.No offense,but I rather believe what our pilots have to state on the matter.

chill out dude dont get angry just go with the flow

Alright cupcake,

The single-engined fighters can travel and simultaneously hit the Northern,Eastern,Western and Southern Air commands of India without the need of external fuel pods and carrying full it's full arsenal of weapons.Whereas,the SU-30 MKIs and MIG-29s will drop out of the sky because they will get starved of fuel.Satisfied?

You know, an answer seems much more educated when it isn't reeking of plain frustration...
I encourage you, sir, to read my previous post again. Twin engined 'heavy' fighters, such as the MKI have much more fuel, if loaded similarly to a medium F-16 class fighter... and can carry much more payload to boot, as they are designed to do so. Yes, with extra external fuel tanks, they do have a deep strike advantage... However, a single-engined fighter can do the same job, is meant to do the same job, albeit with lesser payload.
A JF-17, putting Indian air defence out of the equation, could, with full external and internal tanks, strike anywhere as far as India is concerned... but can deliver one or two 2000 pounders, while the MKI can do much more damage, travelling the same distance. IMHO.

Yes, keep living the 'defense life' :cheers:

last adition is block 2 of jf-17 is upcoming..
also many sources claim range of KLJ7 to be greater than 105 km and many sources claim zhuk me to be around 110 km..so even these ranges are approximate..
Zhuk-ME

currently many of your mig29 have much inferior radar..see the article on link ...it also state the range from 110-120..

regardlessly this has been extensively discussed in the thread
http://www.defence.pk/forums/jf-17-thunder/87290-klj-7-radar-thunder.html
:cheers:

MiG-29 has a detection range of 120km for a target of 5 square meters compared to the KLJ-7 which is 105km for a target of 5 square meters go see Janes defense for this if you don't believe me or robosonexport's website

:rofl: dude your telling me the KLJ-7 is better than the ZHUK-ME radar? my god what has this world come to :disagree:

the max detection range for the KLJ-7 is not 105km read my posts carefully next time for a target of 5 square meters it is 105km

120km against 105km not to mention most modern aircraft like the MiG-29smt will have a RCS lower than 5 square meters you do the math 15km edge right there, and i find it funny how your so insecure to compare the JFT from the Gripen to the MiG-29SMT are you going to compare it to the SU30MKI next??? :lol:

OK.So we agree.lol.I mean,Who better to tell you about the combat aircraft than the dudes who fly it for a living eh!

You really think that a twin-engined jet could take on a single-engined fighter in a dogfight?Of course this would move into the pure speculation category but in my opinion if you cancel out the BVR radar lock and the two jets are sufficiently close enough for a dogfight,I think the single-engined jet would take it down.All the flight demonstrations that I've seen,the single-engined jet have clean-cut routines and the twin-engined ones are quite sluggish in that area.

Like I stated earlier,pure speculation.What do you think?

Speculation correct.. but then I think the term should be changed to a light weight fighter than using the term single engine..
The AT-38 used for aggressor training regularly outfly's F-16's.
Moreover.. a single engine mig-23 will usually end up as a snack for a twin engined F-15 in a dogfight.
So twin or single engines aren't a good classification for maneuverability or performance.

MiG-29 has a detection range of 120km for a target of 5 square meters compared to the KLJ-7 which is 105km for a target of 5 square meters go see Janes defense for this if you don't believe me or robosonexport's website

:rofl: dude your telling me the KLJ-7 is better than the ZHUK-ME radar? my god what has this world come to :disagree:

the max detection range for the KLJ-7 is not 105km read my posts carefully next time for a target of 5 square meters it is 105km

120km against 105km not to mention most modern aircraft like the MiG-29smt will have a RCS lower than 5 square meters you do the math 15km edge right there, and i find it funny how your so insecure to compare the JFT from the Gripen to the MiG-29SMT are you going to compare it to the SU30MKI next??? :lol:

its discussed in detail, but if Mig-29 has lower rcs than 5m2 than JFT's rcs is lower than or equal to 1.5 to 1 m2, now you should do the math, who will detect who, first . . . . . ..

its discussed in detail, but if Mig-29 has lower rcs than 5m2 than JFT's rcs is lower than or equal to 1.5 to 1 m2, now you should do the math, who will detect who, first . . . . . ..

the JFT blk1 uses no composites at all in fact its airframe is all metal which means higher RCS provide a source that says the JFT rcs is 1.5 or 1 square meters

the JFT blk1 uses no composites at all in fact its airframe is all metal which means higher RCS provide a source that says the JFT rcs is 1.5 or 1 square meters

Frontal RCS is smaller than that of F-16s, DSI helps a great deal here, Mig will be at a disadvantage against JFT in terms of frontal RCS.

i think you r under obligation here to provide source(third party, reliable) for your words that Mig 29 has RCS lower than 5m2 beacuse you quoted it first . . . . . .
after that i will provide you my source . . . about JFT RCS . . . .

Frontal RCS is smaller than that of F-16s, DSI helps a great deal here, Mig will be at a disadvantage against JFT in terms of frontal RCS.

the early F-16 or the newer ones like blk52 blk 60? DSI helps a lot but use of composites would help even more as composites do not reflect radar waves

MiG-29 SMT will be equipped with good ECM and EW suite possibly better than that of the JFT

i think you r under obligation here to provide source(third party, reliable) for your words that Mig 29 has RCS lower than 5m2 beacuse you quoted it first . . . . . .
after that i will provide you my source . . . about JFT RCS . . . .

MiG-29 FULCRUM

2vkb32a.jpg

Air and Space Borne Radar Systems an Introduction

back in the 80's its RCS was just 3m2 imagine what it would now with MiG-29 UPG and SMT upgrade

the early F-16 or the newer ones like blk52 blk 60? DSI helps a lot but use of composites would help even more as composites do not reflect radar waves

MiG-29 SMT will be equipped with good ECM and EW suite possibly better than that of the JFT

speculation.. nothing else.
future plans vs current abilities.

Back
Top Bottom