What's new

Anyone recognise these photographs?

Graham Nelmes

New Recruit

Reaction score
My father served with the RPAF in Karachi from 1947 - 1953. I have photographs of our house in Drigh Road and the Officers' Mess. Are these buildings still there? I would love to know as I have such vivid memories of life in Karachi. Thank you

Last edited:
My father served with the RPAF in Karachi from 1947 - 1953. I have photographs of our house in Drigh Road and the Officers' Mess. Are these buildings still there? I would love to know as I have such vivid memories of life in Karachi. Thank you
street address?

Karachi is one of the world's largest cities, this isn't the best way to try and find your old ancestral home :P

These are most probably pictures of houses and officers mess in PAF base, Shahrah-e-Faisal. This base was used to call PAF Drigh Road. It is one of the biggest bases in Karachi.

Thanks for sharing.

The second pic is of the officers mess and its still very much there ..

Not sure about the first one but I think I have seen this building too...

Thank you - yes the second picture is the Officers' Mess and the first our house. I was only four at the time so I can't give too many details. However I seem to remember the the house was 19 Drigh Road - does that help?

Graham,

These are pictures from PAF Base Faisal which is now literally in the middle of Karachi. The first picture is of a C type house for officers. In fact I lived in this or a similar house when I was growing up. I can't figure out the house number in the front. If it is 102 C, it is the same house that I lived in. The second picture is of the officers mess at the Base. It is still being used altough the tile roof has been replaced with a cement roof. On Google earth you can see these building right across from the Faisal Air Field. Only a road separates the base from the officers residential areas. I have seen some new pictures of of these buildings if I find them I will post them.

That's really helpful thank you. I think the number was 19 but I will check with my sister.

I have another photo taken about the same time but I am not sure of this building.

View attachment 1369

Last edited:
Graham,

Here you go. New Pictures. I was wrong about the tile roof being replaced. The old mess building still has the tile roof. The new extension has the cement construction. Its been a while since I was there. The new picture you
added looks like the Sind Club but I am not sure.

thanks for sharing wonderful memories with us and hope you visit karachi one day.

Many thanks to all of you who have helped me track down the memories of my youth. I have other photographs if anyone is interested. This is one of my parents at a party in the Officer's Mess circa 1951. My parents are at the extreme left and right - clearly not with each other!View attachment 1375

Last edited:
Dear Mr Graham
One of my uncle who serves at PAF Base Faisal (Formely RPAF Station Drigh Road) recognise all your pictures. Your house is still in a good shape while the officer's mess has received a face-lift but the basic stucture is still the same. The third picture is of area infront of visiting officers residential block. Best of all the room of officers mess where your parents are pictured was recognised by my uncle since the windows are still there.
My uncle was so delighted to see these pictures and he would love you to send more such pictures and he will try to place them in the PAF museum which is right on PAF Base faisal. If you want you may send the name of your father and the same may find space in the history pages of the PAF museum.:wave:

Dear Mr Graham
One of my uncle who serves at PAF Base Faisal (Formely RPAF Station Drigh Road) recognise all your pictures. Your house is still in a good shape while the officer's mess has received a face-lift but the basic stucture is still the same. The third picture is of area infront of visiting officers residential block. Best of all the room of officers mess where your parents are pictured was recognised by my uncle since the windows are still there.
My uncle was so delighted to see these pictures and he would love you to send more such pictures and he will try to place them in the PAF museum which is right on PAF Base faisal. If you want you may send the name of your father and the same may find space in the history pages of the PAF museum.:wave:

Man .. you guys are really good ..

Kharian Beast .... We surely do have a common approach to old moments down the lane.

It lifts my spirits when I seee comparison of especially place I have visited with past pictures be it mere grass grazing area or sand dune .. because it goes on to prove the intellegence of human being over earth / nature.

Those pictures of Drigh Road Base are walk down the memory lane .. just like some pictures of Karachi like these .. I just can't believe it was so beautiful before !

Thanks to all for your very helpful contributions. My Father was very proud of his Air Force career and particularly of his time in Karachi.
I have photographs from two periods while my father was in Karachi. 1930 -31 and around 1950 - 1954. In the first period the photographs are well annotated so I will start scanning and see if they are of interest.

In the latter period he was S/Ldr W. H. Nelmes as he was commissioned as an officer during WW2. Here are pictures of him with King Faisal which were taken in 1954 I think
View attachment 1387

By the way, on closer look, the house number was 97 Drigh Road

Last edited:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom