What's new

Anna's stir shows power of democracy: Army Chief

Garry

BANNED
Reaction score
Mumbai: Stating that the nation was in a "morass", Army Chief General V K Singh has said the support that the anti-corruption movement was getting was an indication of "power of democracy, power of people."

The country, he said, was passing through "an interesting and turbulent period.

"Interesting in terms of how we are witnessing the power of democracy, the power of the people. Interesting in terms of how we are seeing our leadership cope up with these things," Gen Singh said.

A lot of things are happening, from Kashmir to Kanyakumari and from Gujarat to the most north-eastern part. There is a certain amount of unrest in the country, for various reasons - some sponsored, some genuine (and) some which started with genuine thing and then got into something else.

"The theme is only one - how do we take the nation forward from the morass that we are in.... It is not who is leading the movement but it is why it has come to this stage," he said.

The Army Chief was speaking at an interaction with members of the entertainment industry organised by former MP Santosh Bhartiya in suburban Juhu last night.

Gen Singh further said, "If the youth are channelised, if they are given the type of value system, I think we can get out of this great 'daldal' (morass) that we are in."

The situation that exists today seems disappointing making us wonder where have we come, he added.

The Army chief also equated corruption to a hydra-headed monster.

"Because we all are involved in its thriving. If we introspect, we will see that at one point or another, we are all involved in it," he said. :)

Anna's stir shows power of democracy: Army Chief - India News - IBNLive

Hmmm, interesting- a rare political remarks by the armed forces.

thats true symbol of democracy world has to learn no weapon and no harm to any one and you can get what you want

Just waiting for some puppet corrupt congressi thugs to make some remark on army chief now that he should refrain from commenting on politics!

In 1982, In Singapore, LOKPAL BILL was implemented and 142 Corrupt Ministers & Officers were arrested in one single day.. Today Singapore has only 1% poor people & no taxes are paid by the people to the government, 92% Literacy Rate, Better Medical Facilities, Cheaper Prices, 90% Money is white & Only 1% Unemployment exists..

why the gov didn't arrest Anna Hazare?
You have to read about "civil disobedience movement". In such peaceful movements, you actually take permission for demonstration, permission for protest.

After all that lawful show of protest, what reason Govt. has to arrest him ?

In 1982, In Singapore, LOKPAL BILL was implemented and 142 Corrupt Ministers & Officers were arrested in one single day.. Today Singapore has only 1% poor people & no taxes are paid by the people to the government, 92% Literacy Rate, Better Medical Facilities, Cheaper Prices, 90% Money is white & Only 1% Unemployment exists..

wow wow really its eye opener man

Mumbai: Stating that the nation was in a "morass", Army Chief General V K Singh has said the support that the anti-corruption movement was getting was an indication of "power of democracy, power of people."

Anna's stir shows power of democracy: Army Chief - India News - IBNLive

Totally uncalled for comments by the Army Chief. His job is to ensure the security of the country and do the bidding of the democratically elected government - his BOSSES - whatever party or whoever it may be. Sorry, but IMHO, the Army chief has stepped out of line with this comment.

I just hope that this movement really succeeds....we need to weed out this evil (corruption) from our society, starting with our so called "Netas" especially the Congress. They have ruled us for 50 odd years & promoted corruptioin. In fact they are the sole reason why corruption is so rampant in our country. Even an honest man is tempted to be corrupt when he sees his neighbour enjoying his ill gotten gains.

I just hope that this movement really succeeds....we need to weed out this evil (corruption) from our society, starting with our so called "Netas" especially the Congress. They have ruled us for 50 odd years & promoted corruptioin. In fact they are the sole reason why corruption is so rampant in our country. Even an honest man is tempted to be corrupt when he sees his neighbour enjoying his ill gotten gains.
Dont blame the Netas. We only have ourselves to blame for things to have gotten this worse. I'd bet some organizers of this anti-corruption drive may have greased some babu palms to get permission for protesting! Its our desi mentality and our "chalta hein" attitude which is to blame. That has to go, first.

Totally uncalled for comments by the Army Chief. His job is to ensure the security of the country and do the bidding of the democratically elected government - his BOSSES - whatever party or whoever it may be. Sorry, but IMHO, the Army chief has stepped out of line with this comment.

Dont forget he himself is a citizen of India. His comment only strengthen the whole idea of democracy and hence no intent of army poking nose in indian politics.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Dont blame the Netas. We only have ourselves to blame for things to have gotten this worse. I'd bet some organizers of this anti-corruption drive may have greased some babu palms to get permission for protesting! Its our desi mentality and our "chalta hein" attitude which is to blame. That has to go, first.

Add cynicism to that as well. Your skeptical post just prove it.
May have, would have, could have....they haven't do any good for India. If you cant support let it be, dont malign the movement.

Dont forget he himself is a citizen of India. His comment only strengthen the whole idea of democracy and hence no intent of army poking nose in indian politics.

If those comments were in a private capacity, that would be acceptable. But then he is the Chief of Army and NOT a private citizen. His job profile does NOT include making comments on the political process of the country. Make no mistake, I do respect the man in uniform (some of my family are in the forces), but they have a job to do and making public comments about political process is unbecoming of the post that the man holds. Hence, uncalled for.

If those comments were in a private capacity, that would be acceptable. But then he is the Chief of Army and NOT a private citizen. His job profile does NOT include making comments on the political process of the country. Make no mistake, I do respect the man in uniform (some of my family are in the forces), but they have a job to do and making public comments about political process is unbecoming of the post that the man holds. Hence, uncalled for.

So do my profile. I work for a private firm. That cant stop me raising my voice democratically, isn't it???

Back
Top Bottom