What's new

American life through the eyes of a Pakistani

Americans are friendly people, especially outside of the East Coast, New England area. It bothers me that so many people get an impression of the USA based upon New York City. NY rocks, it's a hopping town, colorful, brash, but also impatient and unfriendly at times.

Ahahahah. Yeaaah, we're pricks out here on the East Coast. XD
But we're used to it here, and if you live here for long, you don't really realize it until you go to other parts of the country. Or Canada. lol

You fill out the forms, get a date for an interview and then the next 3 weeks or so are spent in anticipation, severe stress, going over the capital cities of all the 51 states of the US, trying to learn the names of all the NBA teams; all this just so you might seem more “American” to the interviewer.

51 States. XD lol

American people, their society is still very impressive. Granted 9/11 has screwed them up big time, but its still very good. Having issues with American people is stupid. They are even more moralistic than Pakistanis (yes not Islam moralistic, but that becomes secondary). One basic example I always tell you, it used to be a religious practice for Muslims to say Asalamalaykum to any normal passerby, however its Americans who will always never fail to say Hi to you.

In almost every other household the kids are taught to say please and thank you. Basic good values are literally hit on your face wherever you go. Things you will not easily see in Pakistan.

However that aside, I also strongly say that none of that gives them a pass for how horrible their foreign policy is towards us which actively contributes in keeping us where we are.

i have never been out of pakistan.
but still I think there is no reason to hate american people. its their foreign policy which has put all the world in danger.
now american cant visit anywhere else then e.u.
most part of the world hate U.S.

American people, their society is still very impressive. Granted 9/11 has screwed them up big time, but its still very good. Having issues with American people is stupid. They are even more moralistic than Pakistanis (yes not Islam moralistic, but that becomes secondary). One basic example I always tell you, it used to be a religious practice for Muslims to say Asalamalaykum to any normal passerby, however its Americans who will always never fail to say Hi to you.

In almost every other household the kids are taught to say please and thank you. Basic good values are literally hit on your face wherever you go. Things you will not easily see in Pakistan.

However that aside, I also strongly say that none of that gives them a pass for how horrible their foreign policy is towards us which actively contributes in keeping us where we are.

I understood but almost all Americans hate Muslims, Pakistanis, and everyone more than previous years ago. Differences Americans accept the major media whatever it informed them without arguments or questions. Pakistanis always question the media in harsh arguments and disagreements.

Just saying hi, please, good luck, wassup, and thank you doesn't means anything, it is common easy to talk. America govt invested heavily on great values of individuals to raise properly in right way while Pakistan doesn't care every individuals.

I have graduated from an American high school, and also spent 2 years at an American college before deciding to return. Pakistanis should study and work abroad, but accepting a foreign country's passport is too much, imo. To pledge allegiance to another country means you are no longer a Pakistani in my eyes.

The US is an amazing country with great people. It is better than Canada, UK, Australia and all other places. But still, Pakistanis should always go there with the intention of returning after a few years.

Ahahahah. Yeaaah, we're pricks out here on the East Coast. XD
But we're used to it here, and if you live here for long, you don't really realize it until you go to other parts of the country. Or Canada. lol

If I order food in NYC, it's this: "YO! Order up, here ya go, move along, NEXT!" and he almost throws the food at me.

In the South: "Here you are! I hope you enjoy it. Let us know if there's anything else you need! and Thanks!" ;)

Friendliness quotient, from most to least friendly:

1) Deep South
2) Midwest
3) Mountain (Band from New Mexico up to Montana)
4) West Coast
5) East Coast

If I order food in NYC, it's this: "YO! Order up, here ya go, move along, NEXT!" and he almost throws the food at me.

In the South: "Here you are! I hope you enjoy it. Let us know if there's anything else you need! and Thanks!" ;)

1) Deep South
2) Midwest
4) West Coast
5) East Coast

Ahahah. Yeah, pretty much this. XP lol

Americans are friendly people, especially outside of the East Coast, New England area. It bothers me that so many people get an impression of the USA based upon New York City. NY rocks, it's a hopping town, colorful, brash, but also impatient and unfriendly at times.

maybe I'd change my mind about the US if I saw the good parts, rather than places like Los Angeles which is a fking concentration camp, or a racist enclave in eastern Washington.

I understood but almost all Americans hate Muslims, Pakistanis, and everyone more than previous years ago. Differences Americans accept the major media whatever it informed them without arguments or questions. Pakistanis always question the media in harsh arguments and disagreements.

Just saying hi, please, good luck, wassup, and thank you doesn't means anything, it is common easy to talk. America govt invested heavily on great values of individuals to raise properly in right way while Pakistan doesn't care every individuals.

I wouldn't go so far as to say all/most Americans hate Muslims. If anything, they're just apprehensive about them at first. At least the non-Asian/African (from the continent) Americans. Like you said though, the media is to blame for this.
Also, to say "Muslims" like that is a bit broad, since followers of Islam aren't restricted to just the Middle East or South Asia. There are many Muslims here that are black Americans, one of my best friends being one of them. Nobody looks at him wrong, or treats him differently for being Muslim.

since the places i know in the US are scum and one is rural and one is urban, i think its safe to extrapolate that the rest of the country is also scum. talk is cheap, racism is real.

1) Deep South
2) Midwest
4) West Coast
5) East Coast

Pretty muchh summed up the list but I will keep West coast on 3rd and Mountain on 4th.

My personal experience is, East coast (mainly pennsylvania, Philadelphia, NYC) is quite arrogant, do not appreciate immigrants and think US belongs to them (No offence meant). This may be due to histroy of US. I heard many people even say that West Coast is not US as that is pretty cosmopolitan.

Regards culture assimilation, South Asians are primarily blamed for this. We do not properly mingle with US folks due to food habits, Cultural difference and life style. This is the reason we primarily look for group having similar culture. North Indians -Pakistani, Bengal- Bangladeshi, South Indian-Sri Lankans etc make a good group and love to be in that.

since the places i know in the US are scum and one is rural and one is urban, i think its safe to extrapolate that the rest of the country is also scum. talk is cheap, racism is real.

Extrapolation is dangerous here. I know the people in US who are quite arrogant and racist too but that belongs to their ancestral roots. People having history from Britain/Ireland/Scotland are still gentlemen and love to be in personal comfort zone while people like Mexicans and Africans are very rude initially but then they become very good friend once you know them and adopt their style. Italians have specific arrognace may be due to "Godfather" history. Rest are as normal as they should be.

PS: I wrote simple analysis and not to try being racist or creating stereotype.

PS: I wrote simple analysis and not to try being racist or creating stereotype.

Unfortunately, that's what we're getting here.

"I met some very rude Chinese in Beijing on a business trip. All Chinese people are rude, arrogant, and racist!"

:rolleyes:

Care to explain where this "scum" you've seen is, and what exactly your definition of "scum" is to begin with?? I think I might already have an idea though. I've seen many of your posts before, and you seem to be anti-America, anti-India, and simply anti-anything that isn't China. I think even if you went all over America, you'd still hate it. Bigot.
As for your racism comment, that exists everywhere in this world, whether that be America, India, Pakistan, and even your beloved China. You need to learn to differentiate between excusable, ignorant racists (who just don't know any better, and can be taught to change) and the more dangerous, race supremacists. I can guarantee the latter are few and far between in America.

My personal experience is, East coast (mainly pennsylvania, Philadelphia, NYC) is quite arrogant, do not appreciate immigrants and think US belongs to them (No offence meant).

Now I wouldn't go that far. lol
We're rude, yes. But to say even the white and black Americans don't appreciate immis here is rather asinine. This side of the States is full of immis and ethnics, and we get on just fine with "typical" Americans. :P

Unfortunately, that's what we're getting here.

"I met some very rude Chinese in Beijing on a business trip. All Chinese people are rude, arrogant, and racist!"

Honestly, he probably just got called a some disparaging remarks regarding his ethnicity. It was probably his fault, too. Judging from his posts, he's the type who would walk around emitting his anti-American-ness. That will push people the wrong way. lol
Also, this goes out to all Asians (South, East, wherever), but they probably think Americans (especially Northeasterners) are so racist, because we frequently use a person's race, appearance, or geographical location to insult them when the annoy us. It's not that we're genuine racists, rather those are things that are readily available. It's not like you're going to play fair or be nice about insulting someone for Christ's sake!!:argh:

Back
Top Bottom