What's new

Alarming Suicide Rate Amongst Indians

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
During my recent visit to India I came across some interesting news, which has been in my mind ever since. For the Indian media it was not that important - they printed it in some corner in the inside pages, to fill some empty space, while the electronic media did not bother to report it at all.
I am talking about the high suicide rate among India's central forces that guard its border and look after its internal security. This rate is also very high among India's farmers, who feed the country.

Of the two, news about suicides on India's farms have been doing the rounds for some time now, but what I found surprising is that it is also very high in the security forces.

Media reports note that every 30 minutes, a farmer commits suicide in India.

Following is, further, the number of suicides by security forces: 38 suicides in CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force - like our own RCMP in Canada); 36 suicides in BSF (Border Security Force); 11 in SSB (Sashastra Seema Bal - Armed Border Force); 10 in CISS (Central Industrial Security Force); 8 in Assam Rifles; 4 in ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police); and 2 suicides in NSG (National Security Guard).

The above figures are for the first 10 months of 2011 (so the number would likely have grown by year-end) from a combined personnel strength of less than 500,000. The figure does not include the personnel from the regular Army, Air Force and Navy; it also does not include the numbers from fratricide, or family murders.

Further, more than 8,500 personnel opted for VRS (Voluntary Retirement Scheme) because they were unable to cope with the workplace environment, and persuaded themselves to opt for VRS rather than commit suicide.

The question that arises is whether it is the Government of India that is to blame, or whether it is the pressure from the new economic revolution in India.

Whatever be the cause, I myself feel it is the human mind that decides to take the fatal step of taking one's own life, perhaps due to depression. But why?

In the Hindu religion, life is defined as a roller-coaster ride with many ups and downs. It is up to the individual mind to take the pressure - though, like in the ride, one has to buckle up and face it with pleasure, in positive spirit.

It is easy to say that life is a reality. But many times one gets the feeling of being helpless. The situation gets beyond the individual's control. This is the time when one's inner self guides one to control the individual's mind. As in the Bhagwat Gita Lord Krishna told Arjun: "Do your duty (Karma) to the best of your ability and leave the rest to Destiny which will follow you automatically."

I always remember that when one's favourite door shuts down, Destiny opens another door for you. And I always believe that whatever happens your way, might also happen for the best for you. So why must one take one's life?

Thoughts generate action, which create reaction. When one concludes that he or she has no purpose to live, that defeatist thought generates the reaction for suicide.

That, I believe, is the job environment in the Indian security forces, or of the farmers' poor conditions, which lead to such high suicide rates. There is meanwhile no meaningful or sympathetic guidance from the Defence authorities, when defending the country overrides the security personnel's personal welfare. And in similar fashion, there is no direct or indirect social/family support to farmers.

Every individual wants happiness. The secret of happiness is that one must first accept that happiness is a journey and not a destination. To be happy one must appreciate the beauty of life. Appreciate the present and live for today only.

Life is not perfect. There is grief and sadness all around. But the mind has to accept the fact that life's ups and downs must not crush the soul, or being in a helpless situation should not hold up our 'Karma'.

These are my views. But in respect of the security personnel who took their lives, had the Government of India/Defence Department acted rightfully and empathetically, these souls, who volunteered for their country, would have been saved.

But the politicians and bureaucrats couldn't care less. There is no debate in Parliament, no comment in media. Their own concern is mafia-style corruption and materialistic happiness for themselves.

South Asian Focus - The Voice of Brampton's South Asian Community

During my recent visit to India I came across some interesting news, which has been in my mind ever since. For the Indian media it was not that important - they printed it in some corner in the inside pages, to fill some empty space, while the electronic media did not bother to report it at all.
I am talking about the high suicide rate among India's central forces that guard its border and look after its internal security. This rate is also very high among India's farmers, who feed the country.

Of the two, news about suicides on India's farms have been doing the rounds for some time now, but what I found surprising is that it is also very high in the security forces.

Media reports note that every 30 minutes, a farmer commits suicide in India.

Following is, further, the number of suicides by security forces: 38 suicides in CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force - like our own RCMP in Canada); 36 suicides in BSF (Border Security Force); 11 in SSB (Sashastra Seema Bal - Armed Border Force); 10 in CISS (Central Industrial Security Force); 8 in Assam Rifles; 4 in ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police); and 2 suicides in NSG (National Security Guard).

The above figures are for the first 10 months of 2011 (so the number would likely have grown by year-end) from a combined personnel strength of less than 500,000. The figure does not include the personnel from the regular Army, Air Force and Navy; it also does not include the numbers from fratricide, or family murders.

Further, more than 8,500 personnel opted for VRS (Voluntary Retirement Scheme) because they were unable to cope with the workplace environment, and persuaded themselves to opt for VRS rather than commit suicide.

The question that arises is whether it is the Government of India that is to blame, or whether it is the pressure from the new economic revolution in India.

Whatever be the cause, I myself feel it is the human mind that decides to take the fatal step of taking one's own life, perhaps due to depression. But why?

In the Hindu religion, life is defined as a roller-coaster ride with many ups and downs. It is up to the individual mind to take the pressure - though, like in the ride, one has to buckle up and face it with pleasure, in positive spirit.

It is easy to say that life is a reality. But many times one gets the feeling of being helpless. The situation gets beyond the individual's control. This is the time when one's inner self guides one to control the individual's mind. As in the Bhagwat Gita Lord Krishna told Arjun: "Do your duty (Karma) to the best of your ability and leave the rest to Destiny which will follow you automatically."

I always remember that when one's favourite door shuts down, Destiny opens another door for you. And I always believe that whatever happens your way, might also happen for the best for you. So why must one take one's life?

Thoughts generate action, which create reaction. When one concludes that he or she has no purpose to live, that defeatist thought generates the reaction for suicide.

That, I believe, is the job environment in the Indian security forces, or of the farmers' poor conditions, which lead to such high suicide rates. There is meanwhile no meaningful or sympathetic guidance from the Defence authorities, when defending the country overrides the security personnel's personal welfare. And in similar fashion, there is no direct or indirect social/family support to farmers.

Every individual wants happiness. The secret of happiness is that one must first accept that happiness is a journey and not a destination. To be happy one must appreciate the beauty of life. Appreciate the present and live for today only.

Life is not perfect. There is grief and sadness all around. But the mind has to accept the fact that life's ups and downs must not crush the soul, or being in a helpless situation should not hold up our 'Karma'.

These are my views. But in respect of the security personnel who took their lives, had the Government of India/Defence Department acted rightfully and empathetically, these souls, who volunteered for their country, would have been saved.

But the politicians and bureaucrats couldn't care less. There is no debate in Parliament, no comment in media. Their own concern is mafia-style corruption and materialistic happiness for themselves[/COLOR].

South Asian Focus - The Voice of Brampton's South Asian Community

So true..the politicos don't care.

but hows it a world affair?Or a part of your anti India routine?

EXAGGERATED big time but yes it is a concern and needs to be looked in to.

Any suicide in any country is bad. Steps should be taken to find the root cause of stress. A lot is to blame on the fast paced life, some people can cope with it quite well and some can't. India has to go through this phase as the people get accustomed to the hard reality of fast paced life and pressure to succeed in their lives and careers.

Thanks OP for bringing this to the attention of my countrymen. You have done us a great help in highlighting this when our media has failed.

Aal Iz Well in Bharat :rolleyes: Namaste

Whats with your inherent stupidity? suicides are sad, and you know chinese suicide rate is higher than India's right? So first in order to troll, first make sure your country does not collect and submit data to WHO, only then can you make such assinine comments.

One million people commit suicide every year – The Express Tribune
Dr Laghari said that Pakistan has witnessed a drastic increase in the number of suicides but the problem is that it does not collect national suicide statistics nor report them to WHO

Some people are not cut out to be soldiers... in indias case too many.... rip.... also the poor farmers.
Suicide rate in Army/Navy/Airforce is much lower than paramilitary forces(BSF/CRPF).
That is because lack of amenities/leaves/support structure compared to army.
The primary reason is staying away from home for long without any leave.

Yeah, and yours is a martial race. Only meant to be soldiers, whether in army or jihad. Right :agree: :tup:

Put it this way, there is no recent known record of a Pakistani military person or farmhand taking their own life. !!

in a country our size these things will unfortunately happen . we are working towards a better tomorrow . how many others can say the same ?

Put it this way, there is no recent known record of a Pakistani military person or farmhand taking their own life. !!

Yeah, May be. But you have suicide bombers taking the lives of your soldiers

Back
Top Bottom