What's new

Akhtar, Asif being called back

Goodperson

Reaction score
Akhtar, Asif being called back

Agha Akbar

LAHORE - Close on the heels of the Oval fiasco and the Younis Khan tantrum, Pakistan cricket is likely to hit another major crisis with Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif reportedly being pulled out of the Champions Trophy squad after an internal PCB test has found them positive for using performance enhancing drugs.
A source close to the PCB chairman revealed to this writer that there were apprehensions about Akhtar and Asif being tested positive for using steroids and they could be called back home by the PCB voluntarily, maybe as soon as today in the afternoon. “This is so because the new Pakistan Board under Dr Nasir Ashraf wanted to come clean on such practices by discouraging them as openly as possible”.
The altruistic motives aside, what the PCB is apparently trying to do is damage control before the fertilizer really hits the fan.
The ICC, getting firmer and firmer on drug abuse, was likely to conduct doping tests on two members of each participating team after every encounter during the Champions Trophy. And it was most likely that Akhtar and Asif, the two star performers in Pakistan’s much-vaunted pace attack, would have been tested sooner than later.
And if found out these would have been the two most high profile cases since Shane Warne was found using diuretic immediately before the 2003 World Cup and banned on the morning of the start of the global event from all cricket for one year.
The ICC has since gotten even more ambitious in terms of getting the sport clean of spurious practices, and the penalty for drug abuse is now double than that imposed on Warne - two years.
The sources involved in decision-making in the PCB divulged that if the Board decided to pull Akhtar and Asif out of the Champions Trophy squad on its own, it would be doing so for the fear that they were quite likely to be caught later in the tournament for the drug infringement. Such a finding would not only have put their individual careers in serious jeopardy but also cause serious set back to Pakistan’s prospects of winning the World Cup in 2007.
“We would not call them back stating that their mother was sick. We would not deal in lies, yet we would try and protect the careers of our star performers and make sure that they abandon their errant ways. The important thing is that the PCB intends to operate in an open and ethical environment from now,” was how a source high in the Board described the situation.
All said and done, this is a serious blow to Pakistan’s chances of doing well in the Champions Trophy, an event that the green shirts have not won - much like the most dominant team of the recent times, Australia - despite reaching the semi-finals twice, in 2000 and 2004.

http://www.nation.com.pk/daily/oct-2006/16/index2.php

Its a shame for a great cricket nation and former World Champion to have been degraded to such levels. :cry:
Give them a life ban and put an example for the future! :GUNS:

Sometimes personal medication can be wrongfully picked up as doping. Even big names like Tendulkar (not sure) and Shane Warne faced suspensions.

Unfortunately it's tough to prove it and once found it kind of becomes guilty till proven innocent.

Do you believe they're innocent and this is again a conspiracy against Pakistan?
I donno what to think, things are going from bad to worse...
Whats next...? :wall:

This is our own cricket board, india refused to take dope tests for its players. Why the hell our cricket board then. There is alot of politics going on.

Steriods? Its now illegal for cricket too? :P

Well, i am pretty sure that Akhtar and Asif only wanted to enhance their performance, and in playing around they probably thought that they will get away with it.

There are times when you dont exactly know the side effects of a drug.

Lets just say i was using creatine for weight lifting, i thought protien would be good for me, but in the end i had to face the side effects, and i am still facing them, but i have gotten a lot better, and if i be more consistent i will be alright.

Do you believe they're innocent and this is again a conspiracy against Pakistan?
I donno what to think, things are going from bad to worse...
Whats next...? :wall:
No, cause it was Pakistani officials that called them back and they weren't sent home by the ICC. If a conspiracy or anything, it's an internal thing.

For all we know they were misbehaving (very common for Akhtar) and were punished by sending back home.

Sometimes personal medication can be wrongfully picked up as doping. Even big names like Tendulkar (not sure) and Shane Warne faced suspensions.

Unfortunately it's tough to prove it and once found it kind of becomes guilty till proven innocent.

Tendulkar ? (Where in the world did you get the Idea) He is not a fast bowler. He even hit Abdul Qadir for few sixes even when he was 15 or 16 yrs old. You may even start suspecting Don Bradman.

Shane warne was found guild of taking banned drug Moduretic, a diuretic often used by sports drug cheats to mask other prohibited substances including anabolic steroids, which are often used by sports men and women to promote rapid tissue healing after injury.

Nandrolone, for which Pakistan pacers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif have tested positive, is an anabolic steroid which means it builds up body tissue and helps store energy, converting protein into muscle. And these two are fast bowlers.

Goodperson,

Does Nandrolone have any connection with creatine? Creatine ingredient also converts protien into muscle.

Tendulkar ? (Where in the world did you get the Idea) He is not a fast bowler. He even hit Abdul Qadir for few sixes even when he was 15 or 16 yrs old. You may even start suspecting Don Bradman.

Shane warne was found guild of taking banned drug Moduretic, a diuretic often used by sports drug cheats to mask other prohibited substances including anabolic steroids, which are often used by sports men and women to promote rapid tissue healing after injury.

Nandrolone, for which Pakistan pacers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif have tested positive, is an anabolic steroid which means it builds up body tissue and helps store energy, converting protein into muscle. And these two are fast bowlers.
Just recalling stuff from memory... Hence mentioned that I wasn't sure...

Goodperson,

Does Nandrolone have any connection with creatine? Creatine ingredient also converts protien into muscle.

Yes its used by bodybuilders.
Nandrolone is known as “chemical cousin” of the male hormone testosterone.
But I am no medical expert.

It was unfortunate that these two bowlers were caught. They should not be taking Medicine contaniing these, I am sure they had proper Guidance.

But timing of PCB is questionable but they need to be lauded. I am sure Pakistan cricket team would overcome these setbacks.

But timing of PCB is questionable but they need to be lauded. I am sure Pakistan cricket team would overcome these setbacks.

Offcourse, Indians can refuse but our cricket board can't, instead wants show some heriosm "Yeah we are the one, we are heroes we can hang our own".

Its not easy to overcome these setbacks, loss of 2 premiere bowlers can bring any team of the world back to the basics or to the start again. Wait and see how Srilanka is going to kill our bowling 1st.:angry:

Its a shame for a great cricket nation and former World Champion to have been degraded to such levels. :cry:
Give them a life ban and put an example for the future! :GUNS:

atleast give them right of reply. Nandrolone, is often found in medicine which aids recovery from injuries....from which these two have been suffering from. Being found positive for nandrolone is not end of the road by any means....infact British Olympic ( Gold ) sprinter Lenford Christie was cleared after nandrolone was found in his medicine.

atleast give them right of reply. Nandrolone, is often found in medicine which aids recovery from injuries....from which these two have been suffering from. Being found positive for nandrolone is not end of the road by any means....infact British Olympic ( Gold ) sprinter Lenford Christie was cleared after nandrolone was found in his medicine.
You are right, come to the world of reality. But do not discount the fact that they could have been used to enhance the performance.
The fact is even B sample was found positive and players were recalled. Infact when the news broke it was near to impossible not to recall the players.

Drug tribunal will be set up and both players would be given opportunity to explain themselves. Its good that both of them are keeping quite so as not to add fuel to the fire. But this controversy has already tarnished the image of these players.

Okay guys, the spirit is up again, we just won the first match! :yahoo:

Razzaq heroics give Pakistan exciting win

JAIPUR, India, Oct 17 (Reuters) - All-rounder Abdul Razzaq dazzled with bat and ball to steer Pakistan to a thrilling four wicket victory over Sri Lanka in their opening Champions Trophy Group B tie on Tuesday.

Razzaq smashed an unbeaten 38 off just 24 balls to power Pakistan home with 11 balls to spare after grabbing four wickets for 50 to help restrict Sri Lanka to 253 all out in 49.2 overs.

Pakistan reached 255 for six in 48.1 overs to give the crisis-ridden team a splendid start to their campaign.

Razzaq, dropped on five, joined Shoaib Malik to plunder 54 from 36 balls in the end after Pakistan needed 47 in the final five overs.

Malik, who took two for 34 bowling off spin, remained 46 not out.

The victory lifted the team, which was in turmoil the previous day after strike bowlers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif were sent home after testing positive for the steroid nandrolone in pre-tournament testing in Pakistan.

Pakistan had to choose from only 12 players for Tuesday's game with their replacement players yet to arrive.

QUICK STRIKES

The 26-year-old Razzaq took his last three wickets off nine deliveries to restrict the in-form Sri Lanka to 40 runs in the final 10 overs as the last five wickets fell for 28 runs.

Pakistan opener Imran Farhat hit a chancy 53 after skipper Mahela Jayawardene dropped him at slip off paceman Dilhara Fernando when he was on 25.

Sri Lankan spinners Muttiah Muralitharan and Sanath Jayasuriya then both bowled tightly to remove Farhat and the explosive Shahid Afridi (1) respectively, the duo giving the charge to be caught in the deep.

Vice-captain Mohammad Yousuf hit a patient 49 and added 47 runs for the fifth wicket with Malik until he was run out following a mix-up.

Kamran Akmal added 20 but his dismissal reduced Pakistan to 201 for six in the 43rd over.

Razzaq was dropped at point by Tillakaratne Dilshan after slashing at a delivery from left-arm paceman Chaminda Vaas and the second lapse proved costly for Sri Lanka.

Malik lofted Muralitharan over long-on for six to bring up the 200-run mark before Razzaq took over, smashing Vaas for a straight six and then sealing victory with a six over long off against Fernando.

In Sri Lanka's innings, Jayasuriya dominated a 63-run opening stand with Upul Taranga (38) in better batting conditions. Jayawardene (31), Marvan Atapattu (36) and Farveez Maharoof (22) all chipped in, but none went on to make a big score.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061017/sp_cricket_nm/cricket_champions_pakistan_3

:flag: :flag: :flag:

Back
Top Bottom