What's new

A question to all Indian members regarding Indo-Pak water teaty

Lipizzaner_Stallion

Reaction score
Hi All

I wanted to know about the possibility of India withdrawing unilaterally from Indo-Pak water treaty.

As we know there is huge drought in mahrashtra. Why cant we drain the rivers in Punjab into wester states of india specially in areas those are most affected by drought. ? What happened to the much talked about river linking project ?

It's the silly season again.

We cannot withdraw unilaterally from international treaties without being seen as totally unreliable. No future possibility of a treaty will go through without grave hesitation and misgivings on the parts of the other treaty-powers.

We cannot abrogate the only working relation we have with our neighbours. This is the centre-piece of India Pakistan diplomacy, albeit encouraged by the world bank.

We are ourselves vulnerable to a stronger power which controls both the Indus and the Brahmaputra. If we abrogate a treaty unilaterally, how long will it take them to cut off power? We don't have a treaty with them, after all.

You might consider tackling the problem at the root by eliminating the growing of sugar cane, which is highly water intensive, and whose benefits go mainly to sugar mills owned by cooperatives controlled by the most regressive politicians in the country, and whose products go into the liquor trade, and there benefit the liquor barons. Before setting out on a disastrous path which is likely to backfire on us, we need to set our own house in order.

Hi All

I wanted to know about the possibility of India withdrawing unilaterally from Indo-Pak water treaty.

As we know there is huge drought in mahrashtra. Why cant we drain the rivers in Punjab into wester states of india specially in areas those are most affected by drought. ? What happened to the much talked about river linking project ?

Why should India do such a stupid thing? And what kind of weird ideas are you propagating? Pakistan is our neighbor and has legitimate rights to a fair share. The reason why the Indus Water Treaty has held strong for so long is because it has worked and generally kept both sides relatively happy. You want to add another controversy to this mix?

We cannot withdraw unilaterally from international treaties without being seen as totally unreliable. No future possibility of a treaty will go through without grave hesitation and misgivings on the parts of the other treaty-powers.

We cannot abrogate the only working relation we have with our neighbours. This is the centre-piece of India Pakistan diplomacy, albeit encouraged by the world bank.

We are ourselves vulnerable to a stronger power which controls both the Indus and the Brahmaputra. If we abrogate a treaty unilaterally, how long will it take them to cut off power? We don't have a treaty with them, after all.

You might consider tackling the problem at the root by eliminating the growing of sugar cane, which is highly water intensive, and whose benefits go mainly to sugar mills owned by cooperatives controlled by the most regressive politicians in the country, and whose products go into the liquor trade, and there benefit the liquor barons. Before setting out on a disastrous path which is likely to backfire on us, we need to set our own house in order.

And the world bank did a very decent job in drawing this stuff too...look at how many wars and how many decades it has withstood.

We are talking here about a treaty with Pakistan. If you look at past, Pakistan itself has not honored any of the treaty with India either. That includes Simla agreement and LOC ceasefire. For the world India is a very credible country and I think no body will give a damn if we break the treaty with Pakistan.

Please understand this treaty is a major hurdle in India's development plants. A lot of Indian dam and power generation projects are stalled because of this treaty. This is the high time it should go. We can drain the water to be used for irrigation in other states where there is deficiency of water.

And regarding your point relating to our other neighbor , i agree with you. But we should stop playing always on backfoot. Any such move is bound to make someone or other unhappy. But we shouldnt decide our development goals based on what some other party thinks or do.

Why should India do such a stupid thing? And what kind of weird ideas are you propagating? Pakistan is our neighbor and has legitimate rights to a fair share. The reason why the Indus Water Treaty has held strong for so long is because it has worked and generally kept both sides relatively happy. You want to add another controversy to this mix?

And the world bank did a very decent job in drawing this stuff too...look at how many wars and how many decades it has withstood.

I totally disagree with you that it has kept both the parties Happy. If you follow Pak media there is a huge cry about how we are denying them water. But on ground we have never stopped the supply. Its a shame that we have started to follow an appeasement policy with Pakistan hoping that it will suddenly have a heart change and will stop creating problems for us.

We are talking here about a treaty with Pakistan. If you look at past, Pakistan itself has not honored any of the treaty with India either. That includes Simla agreement and LOC ceasefire. For the world India is a very credible country and I think no body will give a damn if we break the treaty with Pakistan.

Please understand this treaty is a major hurdle in India's development plants. A lot of Indian dam and power generation projects are stalled because of this treaty. This is the high time it should go. We can drain the water to be used for irrigation in other states where there is deficiency of water.

And regarding your point relating to our other neighbor , i agree with you. But we should stop playing always on backfoot. Any such move is bound to make someone or other unhappy. But we shouldnt decide our development goals based on what some other party thinks or do.

Here's an idea, lets default on our foreign debt, thats a whopping 376000000000 USD worth windfall gain!!!

Of that money we can use 76 billion to link all the rivers in India after giving Ajit Pawar his share of 300 billion and we will live happily ever after.

Here's an idea, lets default on our foreign debt, thats a whopping 376000000000 USD worth windfall gain!!!

We can use that money to link all the rivers in India and we will be happy ever after.

I understand your concern sir but you are undermining India's diplomacy power. We did a nuke test a decade ago and everyone put sanction on us. Now the same countries are in a race to sell uranium to India. We should consult with Worldbank and convince them about our actions. Or at least try doing it. Why should we honor a treaty with anyone if the other party doesnt. Why doesnt Worldbank or UN penalize other party to break ceasefire agreement or to defy simple rules of engagement based on Geneva convention.

I totally disagree with you that it has kept both the parties Happy. If you follow Pak media there is a huge cry about how we are denying them water. But on ground we have never stopped the supply. Its a shame that we have started to follow an appeasement policy with Pakistan hoping that it will suddenly have a heart change and will stop creating problems for us.

We have not violated bilateral treaties in the past, and wont do it in the future.

Period.

I understand your concern sir but you are undermining India's diplomacy power. We did a nuke test a decade ago and everyone put sanction on us. Now the same countries are in a race to sell uranium to India. We should consult with Worldbank and convince them about our actions. Or at least try doing it. Why should we honor a treaty with anyone if the other party doesnt. Why doesnt Worldbank or UN penalize other party to break ceasefire agreement or to defy simple rules of engagement based on Geneva convention.

Diplomatic power comes from responsible behaviour. Alternatively, like the other country you mention, we can blackmail others by threatening to commit suicide.

Then we will be left with the diplomatic prowess of that other country. I can't even imagine such a fall for my nation.

we should stop water not to feed the drought strcken states but as a protest for pakistans creating terrorism in india

Stupid idea........... Pakistan has genuine rights to a fair share. Better we save water and don't waste like we are doing these days. I am talking about both country India and pakistan.

Pakistan blaming India for water crises but they never wanted to see our-self. all know how many Pakistan made dames for water saving and how many solution and plan has been make for water saving. :hitwall:

we all know, monsoon was very less compare to previous years at least 25% low. but, we are not talking about how to save water but yes blaming because it is cost effective, political profits and wanna come in power. :hitwall:

Control water and u control evrythng.

Corrupt Mh Govt supposedly spent 75000 crores of alloted funds on irrigation development with not even 1% off work done to show for it, its aa very big scandal which is escaping from investigation just because of the corrupt govt in the center.

We have not violated bilateral treaties in the past, and wont do it in the future.

Period.

I respect your opinion but this treaty itself was the most foolish decision India ever made. Period.

Try for a similar treaty with our eastern neighbor they will be even quicker to show you a middle finger. This is the only one reason why i admire so much about our eastern neighbor. When they decide to do some thing they dont give a heck about what others think. Thats why they are so successful.

I am sorry India but your so called soft power diplomacy is not working.

Stupid idea........... Pakistan has genuine rights to a fair share. Better we save water and don't waste like we are doing these days. I am talking about both country India and pakistan.

Pakistan blaming India for water crises but they never wanted to see our-self. all know how many Pakistan made dames for water saving and how many solution and plan has been make for water saving. :hitwall:

we all know, monsoon was very less compare to previous years at least 25% low. but, we are not talking about how to save water but yes blaming because it is cost effective, political profits and wanna come in power. :hitwall:

And what does Pakistan do with that water. Lets it flow in Arabian sea. Whats wrong if we can drain the water to our needy states instead let that go into Arabian sea ?

Hi All

I am strongly against this suggestion, we have done a very good job in giving Pakistan their share of water. I would like this to continue. As it is they sometimes come up with conspiracy theories and you are fanning them by opening this thread.

Back
Top Bottom