What's new

A Pakistani Compares—Hindus in Sindh with Muslims in UP

Ignited Mind

Reaction score
A Pakistani Compares—Hindus in Sindh with Muslims in UP

DEMOCRACY’S DYNAMICS

This week I happily yield space to a thinker from Pakistan. He has analysed recent events in a refreshing way, reminding us that behind the terrorist minority that has hijacked Pakistan, there is a sober majority that dreams of progress and the warmth of the human spirit.

Tahir Mehdi works with the Punjab Lok Sujag, a research and advocacy group focusing on the governance and democracy. He is a blogger who appears in Dawn, Jinnah’s newspaper. The newness of his approach is visible in the very choice of theme for a recent blog: “North India and South Pakistan”, Uttar Pradesh and Sindh to be precise. He traces the bond between the two —and the disconnect. “A huge number of Muslims from Uttar Pradesh migrated in 1947 to Sindh in Pakistan. People with Urdu as their mother tongue are 21 per cent of the province’s population now. Every fifth inhabitant of Sindh belongs to third or second generation of migrants from India at large and UP in particular… Every fifth inhabitant of the present-day UP is a Muslim.”

Noticing inter alia that UP is bigger than Pakistan in population, Tahir Mehdi turns to the recent elections in UP. “Muslim candidates were serious contenders. In fact 68 of them won and another 64 stood second in contests. Adil Sheikh defeated Speaker Sukhdev Rajbhar, former Minister Nand Gopal Gupta was drubbed by first-timer Haji Parvez Ahmed and four-time BJP winner Inder Dev Singh lost to Mohammed Ghazi. No one cried foul, no allegations of rigging were hurled, no conspiracy theories of undermining Hindutva made the rounds and, above all, no one saw the infamous ‘foreign hand’ behind the defeat of caste Hindus at the hand of ‘pariah’ Muslims.”

What we take for granted in India must be looking incredible from across the border. “Remember,” says Tahir Mehdi, “that UP is the State where the capital of Urdu culture, Lucknow, is located and so is the epicentre of Hindutva politics, Ayodhya, and the hometown of secular Indian nationalism (read Congress), Rae Bareli, and the minority Muslim voters are swinging political fortunes there and tipping balances of political power. Such is the dynamics of elections and the power of democracy.”

•

HOW did the reverse process pan out? Tahir Mehdi writes: “A massive number of Hindus migrated from Sindh to India in 1947. But a few hundred thousand did not migrate. Non-Muslims in Sindh are around 9 per cent of the total population or half the percentage of Muslims in UP. Have you heard of a non-Muslim contesting elections on a general seat and winning too? There was only one Hindu candidate in the National Assembly elections of 2008 who polled votes in thousands. He lost. “It is not that Hindus in Pakistan consider politics haram; political parties think that Hindu candidates are not halal enough for their pious voters. There were 26 Hindu independent candi-dates on the national and provincial seats of Sindh, nine of them doctors and others mostly engineers and advocates. That is a fair indication that the Sindhi Hindu middle class has taken the first step toward playing its due role in politics. That none of them could actually poll even a hundred votes tells us that they have a long way to go. Will any party dare to give them a hand?” It requires courage to raise such a question in a country where mad fanatics like Hafiz Saeed run riot and a Minister was assassinated for criticising the grossly exploitative blasphemy laws. Tahir Mehdi’s boldness in comparing the opportu-nities Indian Muslims enjoy, with Pakistani Hindus’ lack of opportunities should be an eye-opener especially to the Muslim extremists and separatists in India. They play into the hands of a bunch of self-seeking bigots in Pakistan when ordinary Pakistanis are dreaming of the dyna-mics of elections and the power of democracy on display in India. Our politicians may be scum, but we, Muslims included, have a free and fair system—like no other people have in the sub-continent.

A Pakistani Compares

This is the original entry for clarity.

The two regions of the sub-continent, Uttar Pradesh in India and Sindh in Pakistan to be precise, have a unique bond, and a disconnect too.

First, the bond: A huge number of Muslims from Uttar Pradesh migrated in 1947 to Sindh in Pakistan. People with Urdu as their mother tongue are 21 per cent of the province’s population now. Or every fifth inhabitant of Sindh belongs to third or second generation of migrants from India at large and UP in particular. Any reference to forefather’s villages, towns or jagirs still makes many eyes sparkle and send others into nostalgic tailspins. They all had migrated, knowingly or unknowingly, willingly or unwillingly in pursuit of a peaceful society and prosperous family lives and their children’s text books kept on reminding them over the next many decades that the cherished dream could never be realised with Hindus roaming around all over and dominating every thing.

The same Uttar Pradesh recently elected members for its 403-seat state (provincial) assembly. Muslims still live in that Indian state that is bigger than Pakistan in population. UP’s population according to a 2011 census is 199.6 million and 19.8 per cent of these are Muslims. Or every fifth inhabitant of the present-day UP is a Muslim. Muslim candidates were serious contenders for around half of the general seats of the state. In fact 68 of them won to become a member legislative assembly (MLA) and another 64 stood second in contests.

Almost every party fielded Muslim candidates. Samajwadi Party’s Adil Sheikh defeated speaker of state assembly Sukhdev Rajbhar, former minister Nand Gopal Gupta was drubbed by SP’s first-timer Haji Parvez Ahmed and four-time BJP winner Inder Dev Singh lost the battle to Mohammad Ghazi. No one cried foul, no allegations of rigging were hurled, no conspiracy theories of undermining Hindutva made rounds and above all no one saw the infamous ‘foreign hand’ behind the defeat of caste Hindus at the hands of ‘pariah’ Muslims.

In these elections, Samajwadi Party raised its tally of seats from 97 (in 2007) to more than simple majority of 224 as the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party crashed from 206 seats to just 80. The massive change has been caused by a four per cent swing in vote and all critics believe that it is the Muslim vote that has helped the SP rise to power. Remember that UP is the state where the capital of Urdu culture, Lucknow, is located and so is the epicenter of Hindutva politics, Ayodhya and home town of secular Indian nationalism (read Congress), Rai Braeli and the minority Muslim voters are swinging political fortunes there and tipping balances of political power. Such are the dynamics of elections and the power of democracy.

I am not saying that everything is hunky dory across the border. They too face mammoth challenges … but wait, I think I should not be apologetic about what I want to say and subdue my argument before actually forwarding it, to avoid some unpatriotic labels. I better say it loud and clear.

A massive number of Hindus migrated from Sindh to India in 1947 and are spread all over the place with many occupying lucrative and important positions. But a few hundred thousand did not migrate knowingly or unknowingly, willingly or unwillingly. Non-Muslims in Sindh are around 9 per cent of the total population or half the percentage of Muslims in UP. Have you ever heard of a non-Muslim contesting elections on a general seat and winning too? Here are some painful facts:

There was only one Hindu candidate in the national assembly elections of 2008, who polled votes in thousands, Mahesh Kumar Malhani , PPP nominee for NA 229 Tharparkar 1. He too lost to Arbab Zakaullah of PML by a margin of more than hundred thousand. Rajveer Singh, PML-F candidate for the provincial seat of Umerkot, too stood a distant second to PPP’s Ali Mardan Shah. Dr Daya Ram of PPP is the only Hindu elected from a general seat [PS 72 Jamshoro II] in 2008.

That’s the disconnect between the two regions and the two states. It is not that Hindus in Pakistan consider politics haram, but political parties think that Hindu candidates are not halal enough for their pious voters. There were 26 Hindu independent candidates on national and provincial seats of Sindh, 9 of them doctors and others mostly engineers and advocates. That is a fair indication that the Sindhi Hindu middle class has taken the first step toward playing its due role in politics. That none of them could actually poll even a hundred votes tells that they have a long way to go. Will any party dare to give them a hand?

North India and south Pakistan | DAWN.COM

amazing.. pakistan is hurtling down the abyss of separatism at an alarming rate .

The difference between the two situations is, Indian Muslims (especially the ones from UP) are the most impoverished, backward community in India, even more than Dalits. Hindus in Pakistan are however, very resourceful, financially sound; quite prosperous & integrated in mainstream Pakistani society (the recent incidents of kidnapping are disturbing, but they have suffered less than Muslims from UP).

The difference between the two situations is, Indian Muslims (especially the ones from UP) are the most impoverished, backward community in India, even more than Dalits. Hindus in Pakistan are however, very resourceful, financially sound; quite prosperous & integrated in mainstream Pakistani society (the recent incidents of kidnapping are disturbing, but they have suffered less than Muslims from UP).

Fact is, a hindu in Pakistan is, at the end of the day, is a 2nd class citizen who cannot hope to be the Prsident of his country.

He cannot be the Prime Minister of his country.

i.e., he cannot hope to lead the country he calls his home.

That is the definition of 2nd class citizenship.

There are no such restrictions for Muslims in India.

Anyways, this article is not talking about all Hindus in Pakistan or all Muslims in India. So let's just stick to the topic, shall we?

The whole of UP is backward when compared with rest of India so backwardness of Muslims from that state is not surprising.

Fact is, a hindu in Pakistan is, at the end of the day, is a 2nd class citizen who cannot hope to be the Prsident of his country.

Anyways, this article is not talking about all Hindus in Pakistan or all Muslims in India. So let's just stick to the topic, shall we?

They don't carry the burden of Secularism bro.

sometimes I read post like these and it takes a lot of thinking for me to reply to them. Not because I dont know what to say, but because somewhere in my mind there is a question...wil that serve the purpose of posting a reply to YOU ?? I mean look at the thousand replies in hundred of threads on the same topic.But the only thing you know are few words like DALITS,etc. I bet you have no idea whatsoever about what rights a dalit in India now enjoys..they have so many facilities now that even the people of the upper class are jelous of them..belive me thats true..bt again why am I telling this to you inspite of knowing that you will just fail to grasp it..or just not even try to understand what is being said.

As far as Hindus in Pakistan is concerned..well thats your problem...as they are not Indians...but I can guarantee those so called resourceful Hindus of Pakistan might be rich..but still the dalits in India have much more property than even the upper class people of general category in India. No am not saying dalit class doesnt exist, but YOu certainly just dont know about them. Ok ...i cant belive I ended up writing so much in response...damn !

Hindu Sindhis were always very rich. UP has always been very poor, add to that most of the rich and middle class muslims from UP left for Pakistan. Yet look at how they are claiming their rights in a democratic fashion and are part of the new India. Does that mean all is well, no but we have improvements to show. That is encouraging for a young diverse country like India.

OTOH the facts about the always prosperous and well educated Hindus in Sindh are not all that encouraging even after 60 years. Do you think the constitutional discrimination against them plays a role?

in india,being a muslim or hindu or dalit doesn't judge whether you become successfull or not.it just depends on the one's capacity to work.there are several dalits who operate MNCs in india.you cannot generalize muslims in this part of india are poor etc.it depends on the individual

Hindu Sindhis were always very rich. UP has always been very poor, add to that most of the rich and middle class muslims from UP left for Pakistan. Yet look at how they are claiming their rights in a democratic fashion and are part of the new India. Does that mean all is well, no but we have improvements to show. That is encouraging for a young diverse country like India.

OTOH the facts about the always prosperous and well educated Hindus in Sindh are not all that encouraging even after 60 years. Do you think the constitutional discrimination against them plays a role?

In Pakistan, one has to fight for their rights to get them, demanding isn't enough unfortunately. Despite the fact that many ethnic & religious minority groups have faced discrimination & persecution, but they stuck around, & now they fare better socioeconomically than the majority of the country. It is easy for people to flee away from their problems (rather than fighting for your rights), & I wish them the best of luck, but there are countless Hindus at my workplace in Jamshoro, who try to make me "feel at home".

Hindus are empowered in Pakistan, I have a Hindu colleague who's uncle is a MNA in Sindh. His father is a Pandit, & highly respected by Hindus & Muslims alike. There are many businessmen, bankers, teachers, doctors, engineers, pharmacist Hindu men & women in Sindh. Hindus are very politically active as well, especially in their support of the PPP. The people that want to "flee" are the people that have nostalgia, who have the majority of their family in India, not because of anything else. The Hindus that have no family/relatives in India are indifferent to India.

It's the same with my family, my khala/massi & mamoo in India are the only ones left behind in Delhi (my maternal grandparents in Patna have passed away) from my mother's side, & they long to reunite with the rest of the family across the border, even though they are doing decently in India.

UP is financially Indian's worst state. Also, the fact that a lot of well-off UP Muslims left for Pakistan made their state as a community worse.

And the less we talk about non-Muslims in Pakistan, the better. You guys have no shame constitutionally calling them 2nd class citizens. Whoever can has already fled Pakistan to India because they cant bear to see getting their women raped and forcefully converted. There is a reason why India's non-Hindu population stands at close to 20% (no forced conversions) vs Pakistan's 2%.

India having a minority president is a Farce and a Mirage and amounts to India pulling wool over the World's eyes. it is Indian policy to make a President out of minorities to show to the World that India is fair and yet Muslim minority is at the bottom of economic ladder. Had India been fair to Muslims there would not have been any Pakistan and Bangladesh. Period.

Muslims in undivided India were 35 to 40 % of Indian Population and had they received their commensurate rights, they would not have demanded a separate homeland. You can elect all the minority Presidents, it does not change the unfairness of Hindu dominated India.

Back
Top Bottom