What's new

A little help please!

Dude, I'm going to apply in M.Phil (next level P.hD) but I'm already qualified by 16 years of education. Our degrees are the latest ones people who go for B.A/B.Sc. are the ones who don't come on merit. Plus the M.Sc. course is of 2.5 years it's like doing Bacholars in accounting and then again in business.
if you do doctrate in Phycology i think u can apply directly to the rank of major

What is Navy saying ?

My advice to you would be to make Career Plans based on Vocation of your Choice and then find opportunities Globally.

Do not target your vocation to match some service you want to join because if that does not work out you are left with nothing.

Just to give you an advice on the field of Psychology as it pertains to the US, here in US you really don't qualify to call yourself a PSYCHOLOGIST unless you have a Phd in Psychology. That means having 6 more years of Education and Research after a 4 year undergraduate degree ( A US undergraduate has 16 years of Education 12+4). So typically, a US Psychologist has 22 to 24 years of Education and Research behind him/her.

I would highly recommend that if you are planning to be a Psychologist, follow the Phd route and then you will have no Problem working anywhere in the World as a Psychologist. If you have a Master's Degree in Psychology from Pakistan, you could take admission in any Phd program in the US. In the US Phd students are self financed as they have Teaching Assistantships which pay a stipend enough to sustain yourself during this period.

Sir, the M.Phil programme at my university has 1 year of course work and then a hefty thesis, I plan to complete that (as I have talked to my chairperson, I can get a year's extension to complete my thesis) and then go for P.hD. Yes, in USA and Canada, one can call themselves a psych after a P.hD or Psy.D degree.

The PN has no problem for B.Sc honours and neither does the PA.

if you do doctrate in Phycology i think u can apply directly to the rank of major

Yes, you can negotiate a higher rank for P.hD but it really makes no sense to go for the forces then, it takes about 5 years to complete P.hD and is the highest and hefty degree one can get. It takes time though :(
@Pakistanisage ,sir, we have gone for a similar approach making the undergrad degree of 4 years though unlike in the US we follow the European standard of having a grad degree of M.Phil/MS in between P.hD; whereas in the US after honours one directly applies to P.hD

Last edited by a moderator:
@jaibi - Forget about the forces !

Complete your M.Phil & then Doctorate & go into Private Practice along with Volunteer work (for the Armed Force or Civilians) !

@jaibi - Forget about the forces !

Complete your M.Phil & then Doctorate & go into Private Practice along with Volunteer work (for the Armed Force or Civilians) !

Thanks for the advice, Arm, my M.Phil course work would be complete by the time I am selected and I am pretty fast with researches so I'll need a few months to complete my research I can do that post-selection. I think I will go for the PN, Inshallah. I had a feeling I'd end up there in any case :)

What would you say to the idea of leave for abroad if you desire ?

Dude I want to go and I possibly can too but I really want to start my career and then speçialise with a p.hd after p.hd only teachings open.

What would you say to the idea of leave for abroad if you desire ?

Dude I want to go and I possibly can too but I really want to start my career and then speçialise with a p.hd after p.hd only teachings open.

I think you can go . As a brotherly advice , I would suggest you do that . You aren't going to work on your full potential here in this country .

I think you can go . As a brotherly advice , I would suggest you do that . You aren't going to work on your full potential here in this country .

I wanted to say the same .. but it depends on one's own interest... some people like army job.. some like to live only in their country...
i think he can study & work outside for sometime... and then go back with some international exposure

Sir, the M.Phil programme at my university has 1 year of course work and then a hefty thesis, I plan to complete that (as I have talked to my chairperson, I can get a year's extension to complete my thesis) and then go for P.hD. Yes, in USA and Canada, one can call themselves a psych after a P.hD or Psy.D degree.

The PN has no problem for B.Sc honours and neither does the PA.

Yes, you can negotiate a higher rank for P.hD but it really makes no sense to go for the forces then, it takes about 5 years to complete P.hD and is the highest and hefty degree one can get. It takes time though :(
@Pakistanisage ,sir, we have gone for a similar approach making the undergrad degree of 4 years though unlike in the US we follow the European standard of having a grad degree of M.Phil/MS in between P.hD; whereas in the US after honours one directly applies to P.hD

Actually , to the best of my knowledge there are no Bsc Honors or Mphil progams in the US.

For most Disciplines there is an Undergraduate Degree ( 4 years ), a Master's Degree of 2 years and then Phd which may take 3 to 4 years to complete the required Classroom Courses and then some Seminars and the Dissertation (Which may take a year to 2 years to complete, depending on your own effort and your Supervisor's approval).

Some Universities allow you to start graduate Program right after Undergraduate Degree, where their Graduate Master's and Phd are combined and it takes 6 yrs to complete after Bachelors because they have combined the 2 years of Masters and 4 years of Phd in one continuous program.

Actually , to the best of my knowledge there are no Bsc Honors or Mphil progams in the US.

For most Disciplines there is an Undergraduate Degree ( 4 years ), a Master's Degree of 2 years and then Phd which may take 3 to 4 years to complete the required Classroom Courses and then some Seminars and the Dissertation (Which may take a year to 2 years to complete, depending on your own effort and your Supervisor's approval).

Some Universities allow you to start graduate Program right after Undergraduate Degree, where their Graduate Master's and Phd are combined and it takes 6 yrs to complete after Bachelors because they have combined the 2 years of Masters and 4 years of Phd in one continuous program.

Yes, sir, the latter's true. The US has cut out the middle degree and has a P.hD that takes a minimum of 5 years to complete.
@Secur @hinduguy , yars, personally, I know that I can go but that's not what I want to do right now.

@Marshmallow @hinduguy @forcetrip @Secur @Alpha1 @Dillinger @Pakistanisage @S.U.R.B.
@Armstrong
So guys I went to the PAF base today and met the psych there.

Not good news.

Apparently, the PAF gave an ad for induction in the education branch for mathematics, physics and Islamiat a few months ago and asked for 16 years of education: M.A./M.Sc. and like everyone knows these programmes require having done B.A./B.Sc. done first and no good university is offering just B.A/B.Sc. any more they offer B.Sc/B.A (Honours) which is of 4 years and equal to M.A/M.Sc. yet the PAF has inducted a gentleman with B.Sc. Honours in Physics and he is not up to the mark. Therefore they are not allowing people with B.A/B.Sc honours to apply! There will be a meeting next week to have official orders but tentatively that's the verdict! I was like what the hell!?! Just because of one guy the entire lot who has done B.Sc/B.A honours is being rendered idiotic for the PAF???

Other than that around 3 gentlemen are near retirement and once they announce their retirement then would the PAF announce seats and that too possibly will not allow B.Sc. Honours holders to be eligible :( I am so depressed at this.

PAF seems too risky to wait on now.

What are your thoughts, guys? What do you think I should do?

dont be disheartened...i think you should go for @Armstrong's option if it doesnt work for the Arm Forces etc....

you will still be doing great without being in PAF or PN!

When a student,or while in the phase of building up/choosing your career never ever take up a responsibility on your shoulders.
Hopefully you'll know where i'm coming from.There are exceptions where resources give someone the freedom.Society in our part of the world is such that,they'll make you do things that you'll not find anywhere in your priority list.

For a student ,the goal should be higher education in the best or a better institution.Try to just focus on your basic responsibilities -- those are really all that matter, and everything else is just a distraction.Things don't get easier when you strap yourself to some seat and think of performing every feat in the book that your heart desires.

I don't know how much do you agree with me on this.But at the end the decision must be yours and you must not let yourself be influenced by emotions.While climbing the ladder better not stop and pluck the flowers you find around you.Finish your journey and go for the fruit at the top.You'll enjoy the respect and everything that comes your way.

We are the third world and mostly our institutions can not afford highly qualified professionals for services,so they pick us up from an immature level and try to build upon that base in a way they desire.Meanwhile doing so, we pay the price with the precious time we have in our hands.I'll stop here.

When a student,or while in the phase of building up/choosing your career never ever take up a responsibility on your shoulders.
Hopefully you'll know where i'm coming from.There are exceptions where resources give someone the freedom.Society in our part of the world is such that,they'll make you do things that you'll not find anywhere in your priority list.

For a student ,the goal should be higher education in the best or a better institution.Try to just focus on your basic responsibilities -- those are really all that matter, and everything else is just a distraction.Things don't get easier when you strap yourself to some seat and think of performing every feat in the book that your heart desires.

I don't know how much do you agree with me on this.But at the end the decision must be yours and you must not let yourself be influenced by emotions.While climbing the ladder better not stop and pluck the flowers you find around you.Finish your journey and go for the fruit at the top.You'll enjoy the respect and everything that comes your way.

We are the third world and mostly our institutions can not afford highly qualified professionals for services,so they pick us up from an immature level and try to build upon that base in a way they desire.Meanwhile doing so, we pay the price with the precious time we have in our hands.I'll stop here.

Firstly, S.U.R.B. I would like to thank you for your advice: it is very mature and relevant. I see exactly what you mean and what you have tried to highlight. However, SURB, it's not so. If you read my first post, I've basically told everyone that I'm from a middle-class family with parents in the education service, I'm the eldest of my siblings, and I know that I'm a gifted student but my family has really taken some hard hits. I had to leave college and give my A'Levels privately because of family reasons; I had to start tuitions to be able to help. So, as Marxs says, I am well aware of the power of economics.

Secondly, SURB, I have tried for jobs in my field: with publications in the journals, editorship and such I believed I would be a strong candidate for teaching jobs but guess what every single time I got turned down and people with much lower skills and qualifications than me got the jobs. Reason? Seefarish and I do not have that. That was why I turned towards a merit based employment, the private sector and even the government run jobs not on merit are basically run on contacts regardless of your qualifications and this has happened to me 6 times.

Thirdly, with P.hD, which takes about 4-6 years, there is no guarantee of employment. I saw it in my own university that a Cambridge Ph.D fellow was kept on contract and then easily let go; ever since the HEC has been stripped of power our educational institutions are running like the perfect bureaucracy of Pakistan. I have witnessed this change during my 4 year tenure at my university how the face of the whole educational scenario has changed. Ph.D professors on the tenure track system of HEC were quitely shifted to the institutional pay scale and then fired within 6-8 months. I personally know of 5 people who have done either Masters or Ph.Ds from outside and could not find employment in their own city. They had to go to cities like Multan, Jhang, Narowal etc., for meger employment. We, as a nation, do not have a place for intellectuals.

Fourthly, the option of CSS is perhaps the one where people are most disillusioned. The pay is less, the facilities do not start for at least 5-7 years and you are basically on your own. A person I knew had to serve in Quetta and was basically on his own in terms of security and this was in 2010. The only way to rise is to be corrupt and I cannot do that.

So after all this process, thankfully, I have the forces. The job is secure, the recruitment is on merit and they post you elsewhere but they also provide the necesarry accomodation. I have seen this problem from a purely practical eye, not an emotional one. I have researched on the alternatives and narrowed it down.

I was really glad to read your post though, thank you, I wish I had people like you in my life more.

Regards.

dont be disheartened...i think you should go for @Armstrong's option if it doesnt work for the Arm Forces etc....

you will still be doing great without being in PAF or PN!

Thank you, lil' Marsha, please pray I go where it is the best for me! :)

@jaibi

You may have a few questions to answer :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom