What's new

66 days in power but no promised change in sight

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
586484-PervezKhattak-1375641903-799-640x480.JPG

PESHAWAR: Chief Minister (CM) Pervez Khattak has turned out to be the most regular chief executive at provincial assembly sessions.

The K-P Assembly has so far held three sessions including Monday’s sitting and Khattak has only missed a few. On Monday, the assembly had a brief session to pass a resolution on using the assembly hall for presidential polling and Khattak was present then too.

Interestingly, in addition to attending assembly proceedings regularly, the CM never leaves an opportunity to address the house.

Some Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) critics attribute Khattak’s zeal to his relative inexperience, while others attribute it to the lack of an outspoken information minister like the previous government’s Mian Iftikhar Hussain.

The CM on Monday spoke at length on the house floor and took on the opposition benches for what he termed a ‘media campaign’ against his government aimed at showing that the PTI had failed to deliver anything during its 60-day rule in the province.

Khattak asked the lawmakers to wait till August 30 to see what his government does in 90 days. “I have no right to be in the government if I cannot deliver,” he stated, criticising his predecessors for their performance.

However, the echo of Khattak’s riveting speech had not died down when the Taliban struck the DI Khan Central Jail late Monday night and escaped with 248 prisoners, including high-profile militants.

The CM’s first reaction the next day was to deny the K-P government’s responsibility and to pin the blame on the intelligence agencies and the federal government. It turned out, however, that the provincial government had been forewarned about the attack by intelligence agencies.

The provincial government has repeatedly brushed responsibility of various important issues, be it the power crisis or law and order. Regarding the DI Khan jailbreak, CM Khattak said the federal government should have contacted the provincial government about it, yet it had not.

It can be argued that in light of the attack, instead of complaining, the provincial government could have contacted the centre itself and asked for its help.

The dilemma for PTI in K-P is in fact that the promises it made during the course of its election campaign will haunt it in the long run. Once the party assumed power, it realised it cannot make problems disappear in a given period. On the other hand, a determined opposition has no intentions of letting the PTI-led coalition government have some breathing space.

The opposition will chase the government with questions about putting an end to drone strikes, closing off Nato supplies, tackling the energy crisis, ending corruption, creation of a uniform education system and bettering healthcare. Given the government’s attitude, it is very likely to face a tough time at the hands of a strong opposition.

Keeping in view that little progress has been made in the PTI government’s 66-day rule, it would be unwise to expect any concrete developments in the 30 days of August.

The 90 days to bring change rhetoric will remain attached to the provincial government and prove to be a strong weapon for the opposition to criticise PTI’s performance in the days to come.

Assembly notes: 66 days in power but no promised change in sight – The Express Tribune

Well this is undue criticism on them.

Assessments must be made after 100 days both for federal and provincial govts.

As far as DI. Khan is concerned, it was more of a military failure than a civilian one, and couldn't care what anybody else says.

Its not military failure.... its civialian failure. Why we have civilian goverment when we blame on military.

Some were in KP goverment system failed but its not PTI who made system. But if they dont learn from these mistakes and these things must not happen again. Said that federal goverent is more guilty here just read the names who got this report. PM , President and Defense ministry... But let them give time

Well this is undue criticism on them.

Assessments must be made after 100 days both for federal and provincial govts.

As far as DI. Khan is concerned, it was more of a military failure than a civilian one, and couldn't care what anybody else says.

We all had high hopes from PTI but i'am afraid that PTI is doing nothing. No major developments no improvement in Law & Order, etc etc. PML-N is performing way better than PTI - TBH.

We all had high hopes from PTI but i'am afraid that PTI is doing nothing. No major developments no improvement in Law & Order, etc etc. PML-N is performing way better than PTI - TBH.

How PML-N is performing better?

How can you expect PTI to deliver change?

They are just a provincial party, all hands are tied.

Not really, just look at all the bomb blasts/attacks that have occurred since PML-N took power.

Half of Pakistan is under water and Islamabad is under high threat, yet Nawaz Sharif is no where to be seen or even in the country.

Not really, just look at all the bomb blasts/attacks that have occurred since PML-N took power.

Half of Pakistan is under water and Islamabad is under high threat, yet Nawaz Sharif is no where to be seen or even in the country.

Bro i'm talking about over all betterment. Currently i will give PML-N highest score as they seem to be serious in fight against Power outages & had payed the circular debt too. PML-N too is garbage but atleast they are performing way better than any other political party.

TBH i had very high expectations from PTI, if PTI remains like this all our hopes will be d00m3d. Currently they are doing nothing in their province.

Bro i'm talking about over all betterment. Currently i will give PML-N highest score as they seem to be serious in fight against Power outages & had payed the circular debt too. PML-N too is garbage but atleast they are performing way better than any other political party.

TBH i had very high expectations from PTI, if PTI remains like this all our hopes will be d00m3d. Currently they are doing nothing in their province.

I understand, but the keyword here is seem.

Lets see if they actually reduce power outages or its all just talk. Terrorism is probably the biggest threat to Pakistan (can't have a functioning and rising economy when theres bomb blasts everywhere and no one is safe). I still haven't seen any concrete steps from the federal government on improving the situation.

PTI did inherit a violence plagued and insurgency ridden province, while PML-N inherited the easiest province to rule due to the lack of violence there. Big difference between the two. Give them some time to see if they can fix or not, maybe in a year or two we'll see if they can produce results.

Nawaz sharif isn't dumb. He is pretty clever. He gave KPK govt to PTI on a purpose. If he had not given it to PTI, it wouldve been much stronger because imran khans whole team would be sitting outside and criticizing the federal and provincial govt. Now that they are in power, they can do something to improve the state of KPK.

Back
Top Bottom