What's new

50 miscreants killed, 20 soldiers martyred in N. Waziristan gunbattles

The only way to win this war is to have a campaign that take the Taliban on simultaneously from Afghanistan and from Pakistan.

They will be sandwiched and will have less space to reorganise and carry out further attacks. And at the same time close down areas from where the terrorists are getting training and ideological support.

Operationally yes it could work. Politically it would be a disaster. PA working along with US/NATO is the last thing Pakistan wants. Already they are having a handfull in preventing NWFP falling away from their hands.

Already they are having a handfull in preventing NWFP falling away from their hands.

How convenient for you to say falling away. Lol. You never give up and on the other hand when asked to debate on it on a seperate thread you dont seem to be willing or for that matter any indian.:disagree:

How convenient for you to say falling away. Lol. You never give up and on the other hand when asked to debate on it on a seperate thread you dont seem to be willing or for that matter any indian.:disagree:

What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?

Already they are having a handfull in preventing NWFP falling away from their hands.

The repeated claims by some Indians that "NWFP" is in the throes of a "freedom movement". Even the Waziristan militants have not demanded that - yet we keep hearing this unsubstantiated nonsense repeatedly. So either prove your case, or quit flaming.

:lol:

IceCold its wishful dream of Indians.
They even dont know about their own areas and how idiotly most of them predict falling of NWFP away from Pakistan :lol:

I live here and know the situation very well it makes me rolling with laughter when they say oh NWFP is on fire and i try by level best to find where :lol:

pitty they dont have time to solve their own problems and jumping over our problems.

The repeated claims by some Indians that "NWFP" is in the throes of a "freedom movement". Even the Waziristan militants have not demanded that - yet we keep hearing this unsubstantiated nonsense repeatedly. So either prove your case, or quit flaming.

Agno we had been tolerating it for quite long so now its responsibility of Mods to either ask them to Provide any proof for their claim or if they dont than they should be warnd against flaimbating

there is no freedom movement - but things are certainly hotting up as far as N/Waziristan goes with armed miscreants. we need to get rid of maulvi ahmadullah.

Salaam!

News Update::coffee:

Ref:BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Fifty Pakistani troops 'missing'

Fifty Pakistani troops 'missing'

The Pakistani army is under increased pressure in Waziristan
Up to 50 Pakistani troops have gone missing amid heavy fighting with pro-Taleban militants near the Afghan border, the army says.
It said that the soldiers disappeared after militants attacked security posts and an army patrol near the town of Mir Ali in the region of North Waziristan.

The army said that about 60 suspected militants and 20 soldiers died in clashes in the area over the weekend.

Meanwhile Lt Gen Ashfaq Kiani has become the new vice-chief of the army.

The former head of Pakistani intelligence is expected to become overall head of the army shortly if President Pervez Musharraf resigns from this position as promised.

He would inherit an army under growing pressure from insurgents in the tribal areas near the Afghan border.

Fiercest fighting

"We have reports of around 50 troops missing. They are out of communications and their whereabouts have not been found," chief military spokesman Maj Gen Waheed Arshad told the AFP news agency.

The army says that the troops have been missing since Monday morning following clashes near Mir Ali, the second biggest town in the tribal district of North Waziristan.

This follows a weekend of heavy fighting. After a number of attacks on military convoys, the army sent helicopter gunships and jet fighters to target suspected militant positions in several villages.

Scores of people were killed. The army says they were militants and soldiers. But locals report at least 10 civilians were among the dead.

Correspondents say that these military campaigns are deeply unpopular in Pakistan.

They are widely seen as carried out under American pressure since Washington wants Pakistan to crack down on pro-Taleban and al-Qaeda fighters near the Afghan border.

It is believed the upper ranks of the army broadly accept this policy whatever their personal misgivings. That includes the new deputy head of the army, Lt Gen Kiani.

Lt Gen Kiani faces a huge challenge in Waziristan

Analysts say the danger is in the lower ranks where morale seems to be low.

Another batch of more than 200 soldiers were captured recently by militants, and appeared to have surrendered without a fight.

Correspondents say that Lt Gen Kiani will need all his skills to tackle the growing insurgency in the tribal areas.

Pro-Taleban militants have stepped up attacks on the army after a ceasefire collapsed in mid-July.

bbc news.....

So whats really happening? any ideas of whats happening behind the scenes?

so far we are having alot of Pakistani soldiers being captured or not performing to expectations...they have suffered more casualties than the NATO troops across the border! it indicates the assuptions mentioned below:

1) Pakistan's troops are extremely poorly trained, primarily due to lack of real training. I had previously encountered an officer of senior rank who mentioned that the 'career' type of officer is to blame - as he wants to shine but not do his/her job efficiently (i.e not really bothered about the adequate level of training required for his troops) in order to perform when expected - as in this case.

2) How are the 'rebels' or miscreants doing a better job against the Pak soldiers...especially when many of the 'rebels' were trainied by the Pak Armed forces?

3) Who is funding the rebels? supplying them with adequate numbers of weapons?

I was informed by a colleague who was close to a senior Staff officer. It was indicated that the missing/kidnapped troops were really soldiers who had put down their arms as they did not want to fight fellow muslims.
There will be a court martial eventually - pending the given circumstances.

This is the main reason - if this is the case then it seems that the Armed forces are increasingly becoming polarized - which does not look promising!

Behind the scenes - third party interference from the the US/UK is not to brushed aside lightly. it is in their interest to see a weak Pakistani nation. They are doing exactly (especially the UK) what they have done before- DIVIDE and CONQUER!

Why o why why.....do people not heed advice from history.

Pakistan needs to stand firmly toghether and resolve it's problems amicably. They should not let foreign powers policy destroy it's own nation.:hitwall:

^^^ Nice to see you back again Fox Hound.

I cannot talk to the comments of the officer you spoke with, but the high casualty rate in Waziristan is primarily due to heavy use of the FC which is under trained and poorly equipped. Musharraf did talk recently about increasing its size and equipping it properly. There was also a recent statement by a "Western Military official" in Pakistan, who claimed that the militants were getting "advanced training" and resources from somewhere. So it isn't quite as simple as it might seem.

Contrast the damage inflicted upon the FC to that on the better equipped Turkish forces by the PKK

2 more Turkish soldiers killed after 13 die in separate attack by Kurdish rebels DIYARBAKIR, Turkey, Oct 8 (AP) - Kurdish rebels killed two Turkish soldiers with roadside explosions on Monday, a day after guerrillas killed 13 troops in their most devastating attack in months. The Turkish Cabinet met to discuss the fight against the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK. Turkey has been pressing Iraq and the United States to hit PKK bases in northern Iraq, and has considered a military operation across the border to root out the rebels. “Our government is determined to take every measure possible if it will be useful to stamp out terrorism,” State Minister Cemil Cicek, the government spokesman, said at the end of the Cabinet meeting. “What is at issue here is how much any measure we decide to take would bring us closer to a result,” Cicek said. (Posted @ 17:45 PST)

I don't think Indians would be gloating about Pakistan falling apart. It would be the most dangerous happening for the subcontinental stability and peace.

It has been a historical fact that countries blame others for their misfortunes caused by their own governance. Hence, if there is instability in Pakistan, ideal would be to blame India so as to calm the population by shifting the attention. Likewise, I presume is the case with India blaming Pakistan. This blame game would go then spin out of control leading to another wasteful war. I, daresay, hardly a bottomline for progress!

Unlike the forums where the Indo Pak rivalry is taken to extreme, we are fortunate that our leaders are not of the same genre. That is why, there has been great progress toward some amity. Our populations, having the ancient mindset, cannot realise the gains since they want instant success. But then, international relations is not instant coffee and instant coffee, if I may say, is not the real McCoy!

The problem of terrorism has an international dimension and it is for all to contribute to its elimination.

There was also a recent statement by a "Western Military official" in Pakistan, who claimed that the militants were getting "advanced training" and resources from somewhere.

And where could this 'advance training' be?

Which 'Western Military official"?

Any links?

A report today in papers also say that two F-16s droped 12 bombs....since when di dwe start using F-16s there.....and if we still dont come out good than what next?? Armour protection is a must ...very scary to even imagine that the move around in open trucks.....massive corruption there (i dare not say army here) also not helping the cause....whats happening is enevitable:(

And where could this 'advance training' be?

Which 'Western Military official"?

Any links?
Military pulling back: “They’ve had a chance to regroup and reorganise,” according to an unnamed Western military official in Pakistan. “They’re well equipped. They’re clearly getting training from somewhere. And they’re using more and more advanced tactics.”
Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

I posted this in the "Indian involvement with anti-state elements in Pakistan" thread a while back.

One should not use excessive force like the use of bombs or Air force or even artillery.

But then, one cannot comment off hand since the officers on the ground know better.

However, the only worry that I have is that one should not copycat the US way of dealing with insurgency. The US, to the best of my knowledge, has never been able to sort out a COIN.

I feel easy does it!

Back
Top Bottom