What's new

49,000 tonnes uranium deposit in Andhra; may rise threefold

gubbi

Reaction score
Country
India
49,000 tonnes uranium deposit in Andhra; may rise threefold

RAWATBHATA: Scientists have found massive uranium deposits at the mines in Tummalapalle in Andhra Pradesh, a site that has the potential to emerge as the largest reserve of the key nuclear fuel in the world.

"At today's estimates, the uranium reserves are to the tune of 49,000 tonnes. We expect it to be three-fold of that," Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Srikumar Banerjee told reporters here.

Earlier, the uranium reserves were estimated at around 15,000 tonnes before further exploration by the Atomic Minerals Directorate (AMD), a Department of Atomic Energy entity.

If the identified deposits are in the excess of 1.5 lakh tonnes, the Tummalapalle mine could rank as the largest uranium reserve in the world.

"We expect the reserves to be much more and the site has the potential to become the world's largest uranium reserve," Banerjee said.

This discovery comes as a shot in the arm for the DAE which had estimated the uranium reserves in the country to be in the range of 1.7 lakh tonnes.

AMD scientists expect uranium deposits to occur over the entire length of the 160-km Tummalapalle belt with a depth consistency of 400 metres.

The Uranium Corporation of India Limited (UCIL) has begun mine opening operations for the uranium in 2007 and by this year end a mill to process the ore is expected to start functioning.

The UCIL has uranium mines and a mill to process the ore in Jharkhand and has identified deposits in Meghalaya and Karnataka.

The uranium ore at Tummalapalle, though large, is not of a very rich variety.

The AMD has also identified about 4,000 tonnes of uranium deposits at Gogi in Gulbarga district of Karnataka, which is a very rich ore.

Massive uranium deposits found in Andhra Pradesh

China and its NSG stooge Australia can take a hike!

India has a lot of un-tapped resources in our country.

Im sure we will make new discoveries as our economy grow.

Not to be a dampener but, will uranium in its natural state radiate?

Yup. But its in very small amounts and tonnes of raw ore has to be processed by a complex process to obtain tiny amounts of usable Uranium element. So the radiation levels would be negligible.

no.... 99.28% of uranium is U238 and is pretty harmless - .72% is U235 which is the enriched uranium and is actually used( even then in low quantity - highly enriched Uranium is also only about 10% U235) but this doesnt mean U238 is useless - it captures a neutron and then undergoes beta decay to become plutonium which is the element used in indian nukes

I worked in a Uranium mine, during my industrial training, I glow in the dark:lol:

=====================

On a more serious note, awesome news! Imma move to India, to dig some of the Uranium out for my country:chilli:

no.... 99.28% of uranium is U238 and is pretty harmless - .72% is U235 which is the enriched uranium and is actually used( even then in low quantity - highly enriched Uranium is also only about 10% U235) but this doesnt mean U238 is useless - it captures a neutron and then undergoes beta decay to become plutonium which is the element used in indian nukes

Yeas,absolutely right and that's why the U 238 will be used as the blancket around the fuel core in the upcoming 500 mW Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor and subsequently in all future fast breeder reactors.According to Dr Alexander Glaser and Dr MV Ramana,the PFBR will be able to produce 160 kg of weapons grade(94% enriched)Pu even if operated only at 70% efficiency.Moreover these fast breeder reactors will be outside of NSG safeguards,means we can do anything with the Pu 239.There are plans to build 6 such 500 mW breeder reactors by 2024 before moving to larger 1000 mW breeders.
REGARDS....

Wow.. great news.. lets send 'some ' of it to Australia as a gift.

Wow.. great news.. lets send 'some ' of it to Australia as a gift.

yeah the aussies could have made some quick money by selling uranium to india , what are they gonna do now , maybe sell kangaroo's , we need not sign any non prolifiration treaty to buy kangaroos i guess , lolzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Much more to be explored
Now iam curious what govt will do for Telangana movement

I am not a mineral extraction expert, but I heard that that finding ore is one thing but extracting is a whole other ball game. What if the present find is not economical enough to extract?

Also do the land belongs to any tribals. Then count on everyone from Arundathi Roy to Maoists to screw this operation.

Yeas,absolutely right and that's why the U 238 will be used as the blancket around the fuel core in the upcoming 500 mW Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor and subsequently in all future fast breeder reactors.According to Dr Alexander Glaser and Dr MV Ramana,the PFBR will be able to produce 160 kg of weapons grade(94% enriched)Pu even if operated only at 70% efficiency.Moreover these fast breeder reactors will be outside of NSG safeguards,means we can do anything with the Pu 239.There are plans to build 6 such 500 mW breeder reactors by 2024 before moving to larger 1000 mW breeders.
REGARDS....

So PFBR will produce Pu only? So it cannot be used again for power generation, only for weapons ?

Back
Top Bottom