What's new

4 South Korean coast guard personnel wounded in clash with Chinese sailors

Reaction score
Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- Four South Korean coast guard personnel were wounded Monday while trying to apprehend Chinese sailors in Korean waters, a coast guard official said.

The coast guard tried to stop the Chinese ship on suspicion of illegal fishing in the Yellow Sea, but the sailors attempted to escape, said the official, who gave only his last name of Kim.

The coast guard personnel managed to board the ship after pursuing it for 2 kilometers, Kim said, but they were attacked by the Chinese sailors wielding knives, hooks and a sickle.

One was cut in the head, two others sustained minor injuries and a fourth jumped overboard to evade attack. He was later picked up safely. The four are being treated in a hospital in Mokpo in the southwest of the country, Kim said.

Nine Chinese sailors were arrested and are being questioned by Korean maritime police.

Officials at the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs were not immediately available for comment Monday, which is a public holiday in China.

Earlier this month, a South Korean court sentenced the captain of a Chinese fishing boat to 30 years in prison for murdering a South Korean coast guard officer during a confrontation in the Yellow Sea last year.

The court in the port of Incheon also handed down prison terms to several other crew members of the Chinese vessel, which the South Korean coast guard officials boarded on December 12 because they suspected it of fishing illegally.

The Yellow Sea, which contains important fishing and crab grounds, has been a point of contention for several Asian countries, most notably North and South Korea, who have long disagreed on whose waters end where.

The South Korean coast guard stopped hundreds of Chinese boats last year on suspicion of illegal fishing in the sea. Disputes over fishing rights have resulted in dozens of boat seizures.

--------------------------------

CHINA is too weak. China is helpless. Can't protect her own citizens.
It's the Yellow Sea, and not the Korean Sea for mao's sake.

I do agree with that comment!!! Hurt but true!!! :disagree:

China has to worry about the real evil in these water, their white daddy, you know.

these Chinese are going to try to ruin your fishing lanes, they have already done so to theirs. I don't get this ( about koreans), why not shoot them degenerates? It's self defense.

If attacked- then you must have orders to shoot to kill. Why are you trying to apprehend them alive when they are armed and attacking you.

these Chinese are going to try to ruin your fishing lanes, they have already done so to theirs. I don't get this ( about koreans), why not shoot them degenerates? It's self defense.

If attacked- then you must have orders to shoot to kill. Why are you trying to apprehend them alive when they are armed and attacking you.

Are you recommending shooting the sailors, let me confirm? If Yes, then Pakistan Coast Guard are going to start shooting and killing Indian fishermen fishing illegally in Pakistani waters. At the moment the Indians are arrested on a regular basis. Please conform your recommended shooting policy?

Chinese govt policies are only in the interest of China and completely against the goodwill of other countries, be it mass copying, copyright infringement, export of fake goods, territorial claims, they encourage their citizens to rip people of other countries.

This is very bad, and unfortunately till the time US benefits from China, this will not stop, and seems like this will never stop. US think tanks have gone out of their mind at the moment. They should have never let such an irresponsible and selfish country get so powerful. Failure of US foreign policy.

Are you recommending shooting the sailors, let me confirm?

Nope. Don't twist his words.

He said, shoot the armed sailors. These sailors tried to kill soldiers, in which case the soldiers have complete right to put some metal in their head.

koreans could have taken the easy ie the PLAN way.. shoot at sight :woot:

Korean coast guards are not allowed to carry guns.
So there goes the "easy way" :cheesy:

I wonder why the korean are getting so annoy and aggressive attitude to China these days??? Is that for showing up to USA how loyalty the country to its ally???

What South Korea worth or gain in this confrontation with China???

I bet this is obvious an attempt which was planned by the SK and the U.S. to provoke China in the yellow sea, there are no illegal fishing at all as we see them blame on Chinese fishermen but the trolls alliance want to make that up!!!

I do agree with that comment!!! Hurt but true!!! :disagree:

Another gem from our CCP zombies.

How many times these people have to be told that fishing right in a sea does not depend upon the name of the sea but distance from the coastline of a country.Fishing rights depend upon extent of EEZ which is 200 miles or 322 Km in open seas.

Ya,

Classic

I wonder why the korean are getting so annoy and aggressive attitude to China these days??? Is that for showing up to USA how loyalty the country to its ally???

I bet this is obvious an attempt which was planned by the SK and the U.S. to provoke China in the yellow sea, there are no illegal fishing at all as we see them blame on Chinese fishermen but the trolls alliance want to make that up!!!

Yup - Plan A was to have US provoked you to come over to its own soil. Then "all your bases are belong to us " :D

There are so many times the korean coast guards killed and beaten the Chinese fishermen like under dogs in seas but nobody gives a damn care, this is obvious an intended incident which made by the SK intelligents to provoke the tension between China and her neighbors to legally welcome the come back to Asia Pacific of USA master.

I wonder why the Chinese don't show evidences to defend for yourself in World view, why keep silent while they are jumping up to your head and sit on top of that!?

Shy, I really upset with the Chines regime and policy this time, you are pretend humble and acting like a foolish cowards and hoping that would bringing up your raped images???? NO!!!!

China is loosing the game day after day!!!! The useless regime must commit suicide for GOOD!!!!

There are so many times the korean coast guards killed and beaten the Chinese fishermen like under dogs in seas but nobody gives a damn care, this is obvious an intended incident which made by the SK intelligents to provoke the tension between China and her neighbors to legally welcome the come back to Asia Pacific of USA master.

I wonder why the Chinese don't show evidences to defend for yourself in World view, why keep silent while they are jumping up to your head and sit on top of that!?

Shy, I really upset with the Chines regime and policy this time, you are pretend humble and acting like a foolish cowards and hoping that would bringing up your raped images???? NO!!!!

China is loosing the game day after day!!!! The useless regime must commit suicide for GOOD!!!!

So you are obviously a huge Chinese fanboy. You also post anti American propaganda . Curious- what you are doing in the US?

Korean coast guards are not allowed to carry guns.
They are. The injured were four fishery inspectors dealing with legal Chinese boats with permits(Per the EEZ agreement, Korean government sells a certain number of fishing permits to Chinese boats per fishing season. Korean fishing boats too can seek fishing permit on the Chinese EEZ side but no one bothers to because there is no fish on Chinese side), not coastguard officers. When this particular boat's crew turned violent, the coastguard ship was called in with sniper rifles aimed at their heads, and the Chinese crew surrendered without a resistance.

So now the debate in Korea is, do all government employees dealing with Chinese fishermen must carry guns, even the fishery inspectors dealing with legal boats?

I wonder why the korean are getting so annoy and aggressive attitude to China these days?
They have been always like this. The Korean coastguard detains more than 500 Chinese fishing boats a year, and Korean jails are overflowing with Chinese fishermen. You don't hear about 99% of detainment because it's so routine and non-news.

The protection of its fishing stock.

There is no EEZ dispute in this case, and this is why you don't even hear that more than 500 boats are detained. The Chinese government doesn't protest because they admit these boats are detained within the Korean EEZ.

Back
Top Bottom