What's new

$200m Chinese loan for Cox's Bazar Airport dev

idune

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
$200m Chinese loan for Cox's Bazar Airport dev

China will disburse US $ 200 million as soft loan to government for development of airport in Cox's Bazar, a prominent tourist destination of the country, reports BSS.

A loan agreement was signed to this effect Thursday between Civil Aviation Authority, Bangladesh (CAA,B) and Avic International Engineering Company under Aviation Industry of China at CAA,B headquarters.

Civil Aviation and Tourism Minister M Faruk Khan and Chinese Ambassador in Bangladesh Li Jun were present at the signing ceremony.

The Chinese fund will be spent to extend the length of the existing runway from 6775 feet to 9000 feet and widen it from 150 to 200 feet under a project.

Under the project the load sustaining capacity of the runway would be strengthened and field lighting equipment would be installed for ground lighting, besides buying fire fighting vehicles, Doppler VHF Omni-direction Range and distance measurement equipment.

The CAA,B will also establish Instrumental Landing System and Automatic Meteorological Observation System under the project.

After implementation of the project, operation of international flights would be possible at Cox's Bazar.

Aviation Minister Faruk Khan said the development of Cox's Bazar airport is one of the priority projects of the present government as it will help flourishing tourism industry of the country.

The minister said technical teams from both the CAA,B and Avic International Engineering Company will work together for development of the airport.

The Chinese ambassador said his government has decided to assist the Bangladesh government in development of the airport considering its importance to increase tourism business in the country.

Besides the loan signing agreement, a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on design, procurement and conducting construction work was also signed between the two sides.

CAA,B Chairman Air Vice Marshal Mahmud Hossain and Vice President of Avic International Engineering Company Ziang Taw signed the agreement on behalf of their respective sides.

Financial Express :: Financial Newspaper of Bangladesh

I ones got on a Biman Bangladesh flight from dhaka to cox's bazar, after that i have swore to myself never to get on Biman. Nearly cost my life!

In span of just two weeks China committed to provide almost half a billion dollars loan for major infrastructure development in Bangladesh. Before that China committed fund for

1) Water Treatment plant in river Padma to supply water to greater Dhaka area.
2) 7th Bangladesh-China Friendship Bridge on the Arial Khan river in Kazirtek
3) Bangladesh-China Friendship Exhibition Centre in Dhaka
4) Setting up of Shahjalal Fertiliser Factory
5) 3G telecommunication system upgrading for the state-owned Teletalk.

That is some statement China making; not just money and infrastructure but also strategic one. Traditionally China lacked engaging at political, media and intel level, hope that changes soon to better project its strategic commitment and partnership.

In span of just two weeks China committed to provide almost half a billion dollars loan for major infrastructure development in Bangladesh. Before that China committed fund for

1) Water Treatment plant in river Padma to supply water to greater Dhaka area.
2) 7th Bangladesh-China Friendship Bridge on the Arial Khan river in Kazirtek
3) Bangladesh-China Friendship Exhibition Centre in Dhaka
4) Setting up of Shahjalal Fertiliser Factory
5) 3G telecommunication system upgrading for the state-owned Teletalk.

That is some statement China making; not just money and infrastructure but also strategic one. Traditionally China lacked engaging at political, media and intel level, hope that changes soon to better project its strategic commitment and partnership.

Thanks for the total information. But, as far as I remember the Shahjalal Urea Fertilizer Factory itself will cost $400 million or more. So, the total loan commitment by China will certainly cross half a billion. I am watching how China is trying to help BD and thus away from US influence, although my personal preference would be to involve both the powers in Bangladesh. It will be a balancing act.

Thanks for the total information. But, as far as I remember the Shahjalal Urea Fertilizer Factory itself will cost $400 million or more. So, the total loan commitment by China will certainly cross half a billion. I am watching how China is trying to help BD and thus away from US influence, although my personal preference would be to involve both the powers in Bangladesh. It will be a balancing act.

Almost half a billion I mentioned just from just last two weeks commitments only. Shahjalal Urea Fertilizer Factory fund committed long before and all commitments together it will be well over billion.

There is no question we have to engage with both but for our own sake we need to have some "strategic bias". Perhaps, we all know where that bias should be.

...Lets just hope that we could make the deals fruitful. We certainly do need a modern Airport at Cox's bazar to boost the tourism. Its a shame that we are till now unable to use the full potential of world's longest sea beach and the biggest mangrove forest. Its possible only in Bangladesh :angry::angry::angry::angry:

...Lets just hope that we could make the deals fruitful. We certainly do need a modern Airport at Cox's bazar to boost the tourism. Its a shame that we are till now unable to use the full potential of world's longest sea beach and the biggest mangrove forest. Its possible only in Bangladesh :angry::angry::angry::angry:

for long time of war, only peace can make money if you don't sell weapon

bro by coxbazar itself can make huge amount of money from tourism but they must need atleast 4 lane road from dhaka to coxbazar at anycost bcz the road they have now it just too dangerous and they need better healthy and clean environment in coxbazar , otherwise tourist who visit atleast once wont come back

Thats a positive news. However, arent they helping us with the Forward Air Force Base planned in Chittagong? Anything on that?

Cheers!!!

If we are are lucky enough, Inshallah we will have deeper than marina trench and higher than everest relation with our most trusted ally and partner china. Chinese extension of hands toward BD even during this fagot BAL regime period shows the pragmatic diplomacy Beijing abides by. :)

Almost half a billion I mentioned just from just last two weeks commitments only. Shahjalal Urea Fertilizer Factory fund committed long before and all commitments together it will be well over billion.

There is no question we have to engage with both but for our own sake we need to have some "strategic bias". Perhaps, we all know where that bias should be.

Chinese are good at pure civil engineering types of construction, such as port, bridge, road, airport etc. But they are not good at 'Chemical Plants' such as Urea Fertilizer plant. BCIC (Bangladesh Chemical Industries Corp) frantically wanted to hire a famous Japanese company as its consultant who would look after the interest of BCIC. But the Japanese company declined because this is how its licensed processing technology and knowhow will be stolen by the China company.

I am wondering what the BCIC will do next. The processing involves natural gas (CH4) to be processed to ammonia (NH4), the precurser of Urea. As far as I know only one Japanese and one Canadian compnany have this efficient processing technology. Without their technology (Japan/Canada) it will be next to impossible for the China company to build an efficient and pollution-free Urea factory.

China should extend a free loan to help Bangladesh in this respect so that BCIC can hire the Japanese company. I have been hearing about this project for the last 18 months, but still no progress for obvious reason.

Chinese are good at pure civil engineering types of construction, such as port, bridge, road, airport etc. But they are not good at 'Chemical Plants' such as Urea Fertilizer plant. BCIC (Bangladesh Chemical Industries Corp) frantically wanted to hire a famous Japanese company as its consultant who would look after the interest of BCIC. But the Japanese company declined because this is how its licensed processing technology and knowhow will be stolen by the China company.

I am wondering what the BCIC will do next. The processing involves natural gas (CH4) to be processed to ammonia (NH4), the precurser of Urea. As far as I know only one Japanese and one Canadian compnany have this efficient processing technology. Without their technology (Japan/Canada) it will be next to impossible for the China company to build an efficient and pollution-free Urea factory.

China should extend a free loan to help Bangladesh in this respect so that BCIC can hire the Japanese company. I have been hearing about this project for the last 18 months, but still no progress for obvious reason.

I know what BCIC had done, someone close to me worked in BCIC while setting up Chittagong, and Jumuna fertilizer by Japanese companies (Mitsui, Toyo etc.). Chinese tech may not be at per but they have come long way. But all these are matter of another discussion.

Back
Top Bottom