What's new

1st squadron of LCA likely to be inducted into IAF by 2010: ACM Fali Major

Screaming Skull

Reaction score

Monday, May 18, 2009

Bangalore: The induction of first squadron of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) to Indian Air Force (IAF) can take place by the end of 2010 or the beginning of 2011 with regular persuasion and monitoring of the LCA programme, the Air Chief Marshal Fali Homi Major said.

The Chief of Air Staff during his farewell visit to Aeronautical Development Agency recently said: “IAF is on the transformation stage in the matter of gaining overall capabilities, with the help of organisations such as DRDO, ADA, HAL and other partners.”

Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has been a part of IAF’s endeavour to attain indigenous status in getting what is required for the nation’s security.

An official release said that the Chief of Air Staff was affirmative that the ongoing LCA programme would further lead to LCA mark II, MCA and many other projects of self- reliance nature by sprinkling lot of patriotism around.

Earlier, P.S. Subramanyam, Programme Director (CA) and Director of ADA welcomed the gathering. M. Natarajan, the Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister and Chief of DRDO spoke on the LCA programme and the contribution of the Indian Air Force. D. Banerjee, Chief Controller, DRDO, presented a memento to the Air Chief. Top officials from the HAL, the DRDO and other participating agencies were present.

The Hindu : National : LCA induction into IAF likely by 2010: Air Chief

There is already a LCA related thread, please try to post LCA related news in that thread.

Thank you.

what possible explanation could there be for a project to be 'delayed' by a quarter of a century? and even now things aren't moving as fast as they should be, why doesn't India just ask the Russians or the Israelis for help so we can start mass producing these things? are they going to wait for a war to start?

After wat has been a slow and painful start i actually think the Tejas LCA will develope into a huge success for india.

A true 4TH generation fighter at under $30m each with a Aesa Radar (ELTA520) .

The aero india 2009 of Tejas are stunning it looks a real beaut.

I can defo see 120+ Tejas by 2020
domain-b.com : AeroIndia 2009: LCA Tejas to be inducted with international engines

i highly dough LCA tranch3 with AESA and Kaviri engine will be under 30 million dollars. just alone the radar and engine is worth no less then 13-14 million dollars.

what possible explanation could there be for a project to be 'delayed' by a quarter of a century? and even now things aren't moving as fast as they should be, why doesn't India just ask the Russians or the Israelis for help so we can start mass producing these things? are they going to wait for a war to start?

In their own way Russians / Israeli's are pitching in with help, the trouble is Indian scientists (read DRDO) decided to run before they could walk. Anyways all in all it has been a good learning experience for Indian scientists and will create a immensely huge knowledge pool which can be used later on although this has come at a cost ...lets hope for the best...Hope we hear something about LCA with MMR or elta 2052 soon.

Well, looking forward to see it operatonal. But 2010 seems to be 25 years earlier then I expect. The plane needs weapon testing and that takes a few years. Hope to see the plane at Le Bourget. Just like J10A and JF17... But I have my doubts if that ever will happen.

Well, looking forward to see it operatonal. But 2010 seems to be 25 years earlier then I expect. The plane needs weapon testing and that takes a few years. Hope to see the plane at Le Bourget. Just like J10A and JF17... But I have my doubts if that ever will happen.

Dumb Weapon testing has already been underway for quite some time , this was reported earlier. The biggest and probably the last hurdle that LCA is currently facing is integration of MMR or ELTA 2052 radar. After this there will be another round of weapon testing...its the radar integration which probably is the last stumbling block

in reply to growler.

if it costs $13million each to add Israeli radar. & UK engine ej200. Can we assume the same will apply to JF17 & J10.. IN OTHER WORDS wil this massive cost be the same for the thunder or will it be a lot cheaper and way ???

Weak economy and funding problems in the 90s, the years of sanction where India was not able to get important parts and techs for development. Not getting the radar and engine done it that quality IAF required it and weight problems.
That were the main problems, but like anathema said, we wanted too much, too fast. India wasn't able to make the complete fighter on it's own and it takes too long to realise, or admit that.
Instead of Russian and Israel we get Snecma and EADS on board to fix those problems and progress is clearly on the way. Kaveri now offers even more thrust as the GE 404 engine of the MK1 version, but still needs testing.
It's good to get the first squad soon, even it will only be Mk1 versions, but that will give even more experience to HAL and also training to IAF pilots on that type.

Kaveri now offers even more thrust as the GE 404 engine of the MK1 version, but still needs testing.

Sancho,

Any links ? And any further info on that ? Also what is the dry thrust for Kaveri....Last i heard , that it has been send to Russia for testing, but havent heard anything about it.

Thanks

frankly speaking, LCA would not be operational until 2020 ,accordint to its advancement.

engine. fire control, radar, missile....almost all component still not integerated....

Sancho,

Any links ? And any further info on that ? Also what is the dry thrust for Kaveri....Last i heard , that it has been send to Russia for testing, but havent heard anything about it.

Thanks
No it was reported in another forum that it offers now around 83/84 Kn thrust with afterburner (wiki says 85Kn for F404-GE-IN20 turbofan).

frankly speaking, LCA would not be operational until 2020 ,accordint to its advancement.

engine. fire control, radar, missile....almost all component still not integerated....
That's not true, the LCA mk1 version is already in weapon testing phase and like most sources say will be operational by next year. Even mk2 version with AESA, Kaveri/EJ200 is expected to enter service alongside MMRCA in 2015.

Back
Top Bottom