What's new

10 Signs That You've Made It To Middle Class Status!

His wife is the one who wears the pants at home, being the Chief of Staff. No booze means NO BOOZE! Period! :lol:

Not sure it is his wife. My liquor cabinet would magically transform into a book cabinet when my father used to visit me in US from India. Ofcourse for me it is due to respect for him who used to be a professor and does not drink. :lol:

Actually student life in India, helps us to cope up with management for the rest of our life. :) U manage with less money as student, and u can manage full life taking from experiences :)

Not sure bro - student life does not teach anything. Marriage life does teach you money management. :P

Not sure it is his wife. My liquor cabinet would magically transform into a book cabinet when my father used to visit me in US from India. Ofcourse for me it is due to respect for him who used to be a professor and does not drink. :lol:

Not sure bro - student life does not teach anything. Marriage life does teach you money management. :P

Ya u must be sure about wife management :D Its tough to satisfy a women !!

If we get pass mark in semester boys say " pass panni vitta punniyavan, romba nalla irupaan".
Girls get 90 and then say" avan innum 10 mark potta koraanja poiduvaan. Saniyan nalave iruka maatan " :D

Well, rcmj, you'd have to factor in PPP - purchasing power parity - if you want to translate this into US dollars. Let's say you need to multiply all this by a factor of 3 (approx) for an equivalent level of a middle class in the US.

i'm not trying to compare it to U.S middle class, just want to figure out the absolute value and the meaning of middle class in India

Ya u must be sure about wife management :D Its tough to satisfy a women !!

If we get pass mark in semester boys say " pass panni vitta punniyavan, romba nalla irupaan".
Girls get 90 and then say" avan innum 10 mark potta koraanja poiduvaan. Saniyan nalave iruka maatan " :D

No bro - it is not wife management in my case - She is a charm and knows where to stop - She is more rooted to the grounded whereas I can be flashy at times. It is me ending up with $20,000 dollars debt which taught me money management.

@Sashan, like your avatar. He was a true hero, knew it was his turf and wasn't going to run away.

Mate - Omble ofcourse is a true hero who took the bullets to protect his colleagues. But there is a little story behind him being in my profile. My ex-company CIO who is a White American had posted Omble's story in Facebook praising him as a true hero couple of months back(not during 26/11 anniversary) and I saw multiple likes and good words from others as well and that had an influence on me - heroes do not have borders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am from South. You mean to say Vodka is the most recent trend nowadays in Kerala? I do not know the more recent trends(been outside of country for long) but I know it is used to be whiskey or rum in TN and similar in Kerala. And:blink: I did not get you about the air being essential in life.

We knew only three brands while in college - Kingfisher strong, Oldmonk and Mc..Only in final year got a chance to taste RC...The budget planning we used to put for our drinking expeditions would put our finance ministers to shame..hahaha..those were the days..so little money...yet so much enjoyment..now even with lotsa money..life feels comparitively empty..:(

Thalapakattu seems to be the new trend in Chennai. But even today when I come to India, I do not covet fancy restaurants as I am a sucker for dhabhas or places likes like Ponnusamy in Chennai or Angappan in Coimbatore.

Bro - Good to hear that you do not drink.

Dude i think you are referring to Anjappar..but that is a damn costly place...

if you have 1000 rs(which I dont come across often and is huge for me during college days after my hostel bill have been paid for), you spend in a single day and for another 29 days it is all poverty

5 days marlboro, next five days goldflake kings and the rest 20 days malabar beedi....:rofl:

Lets see where i stand:

Home Ownership

Do you own a house whose value is between Rs 30 and 60 lakhs?

Nope

Automobile Ownership

Have a car that costs between Rs 4 and 10 lakhs?

Does second hand count? If yes, than yes

Health Coverage

A health insurance cover of at least Rs 10 lakhs?

Nope

Children’s Education

Are your children studying in Public schools that charge between Rs75,000 and Rs 1 lakh per year as fees? Or studying in colleges that cost more than Rs 3 Lakhs per year?

Yes

Plasma/LED/LCD TV 32” and above.

Just bought one in installments

Washing machine/dishwasher/clothes dryer/computer/iPad or equivalent.

Only computer, wash clothes and dishes with hands or dhobi.

Eating Out

Do you spend approx Rs 2000-5000 on eating out every month?

Yes, somewhere around there

Vacations

At least one vacation abroad in two/three years.

No, cannot afford.

Tax

Do you pay income tax of at least Rs 20,000 per year? (Does not apply to tax evaders!)

Nope

Club Membership

Are you a member of a reputed club in a metro.

Member of defence.pk :P

If you’ve achieved these benchmarks, then congrats! You’ve made it to the Middle Class Club! Next stop? The Upper Middle Class! All the best!

Have a long way to go...

We knew only three brands while in college - Kingfisher strong, Oldmonk and Mc..Only in final year got a chance to taste RC...The budget planning we used to put for our drinking expeditions would put our finance ministers to shame..hahaha..those were the days..so little money...yet so much enjoyment..now even with lotsa money..life feels comparitively empty..:(

Dude i think you are referring to Anjappar..but that is a damn costly place.

5 days marlboro, next five days goldflake kings and the rest 20 days malabar beedi....:rofl:

True on the highlighted - Would attempt to turn to those moments when I come to India - I make it a point to spend 3 days with friends - once those 3 days are gone, again the feeling of empty sets in even when I am in India. So the only option is try to make as much money to sustain the rest of the life at a decent level and get the f**k out of this routine life and do something meaningful.

It is Angappan. It is there for more than 60 years and the food is great - Not so expensive but the food is good.

Dam.....All poor Indians are in PDF :hitwall:
Not a single middle class here :D

It is Angappan. It is there for more than 60 years and the food is great - Not so expensive but the food is good.

Remember where it is ? I havent heard about it...

Too bad GOI recognizes middle class as anyone who earns above rs.36

Back
Top Bottom