$1.5bn US aid conditions compromise sovereignty

ajpirzada

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Economists say adopt austerity, curb luxury goods import

Friday, April 17, 2009
By Mansoor Ahmad

LAHORE: Economists, entrepreneurs and civil society are perturbed by the strings attached with $1.5 billion yearly US aid package for Pakistan that infringe on its sovereignty. They have urged the government not to compromise its dignity and adopt austerity instead.

They point out that the common man is unaware of the most insulting comments of the US public about Pakistan’s protest against the strings attached to the aid package proposed by the United States. The US public in comments carried on the media said things like beggars can't be choosers, if Pakistan does not like the conditions refuse the money, etc.

They point out that $1.5 billion looks big amount as the rulers and the nation even in present testing times are still indulged in unnecessary spending based on imported goods. They said that it is high time that the government take steps to curb all unnecessary imports and expenditures where foreign exchange is involved.

Leading engineering entrepreneur Almas Hyder said that once a country accepts unreasonable conditions for economic aid there is no end to the donors’ demands. He said economic aid could be linked to improvement of governance, equitable taxation but it could not be bracketed with political performance the parameters of which compromise the sovereignty of the country.

He said the country should go forth with stopping unnecessary imports. He said it looks criminal to import $26 million worth of dog food when human beings are starving in the country. He said Pakistan has highest per capita edible oil consumption in the world that should be curbed to bare minimum by duties on edible oil. He said there is no need to import chocolates, candies, processed juices, cosmetics, and luxury cars that could save more than $1.5 billion import bill. He said these measures would impact only 5 per cent of the privileged class of the country.

Senior economist Naveed Anwar Khan FCA said If Pakistan accepts strings attached with US aid package it would be at the mercy of the United States that would determine whether we have taken the steps according to its vision and satisfaction. He said the aid would always be uncertain and create more uncertainty in the economy than now.

He said austerity is the best answer to maintain the independence of the country.

He said the austerity should start from the top. The federal government he added must take cue from the Punjab government that has saved enough money through austerity to provide roti at Rs2 and double the salaries of its police without unbalancing its budget. He said even the serving of refreshments at official functions is either simple or is not done at all.

The US based social worker Dr Khishwar Dhingra said that the comments coming from the American public in US media about protest from Pakistan on strings attached to aid package are insulting and call for looking for alternate solutions to resolve its economic crisis.

She said one citizen addressing the Pakistan government wrote “we can sure use it here for American citizens first. You should know beggars can’t be the choosers. We need Pakistan help, but Pakistan needs our help more. I think you will blink before us.”

Another one said if the (US) Government can require US banks to accept conditions for aid then the Pakistanis can accept the same thing. Of course, they can always refuse the money. No one is making them take it. Yet another commented, “they want the money then play by rules that are set up. They can always refuse the money.”

She said one of the comments was extremely insulting it said “they have gotten billions and done nothing to help us in the border with Afghanistan. They are a bunch of liars those Pakistanis. Actually, let them show us that they are willing to help us and then we pay them. Let them work for it first.”

$1.5bn US aid conditions compromise sovereignty

I dont think Pakistan should accept this aid. This whole war is a big scam. 9/11 was an inside job. They will never find Osama Bin Laden, American government wants to take away Pakistan's nuclear weapons. They cant stand it that a Muslim country has nuclear weapons.

Forget this aid. I'm sure there's other ways Pakistan can improve the economy.

I dont think Pakistan should accept this aid. This whole war is a big scam. 9/11 was an inside job. They will never find Osama Bin Laden, American government wants to take away Pakistan's nuclear weapons. They cant stand it that a Muslim country has nuclear weapons.

Forget this aid. I'm sure there's other ways Pakistan can improve the economy.

9/11 may have gotten inside help but not from the top gevernment officials,imean who would be crazy enough to do that,although it di open up a great oppurtunity for them to take away our nuclear weapons.We have to prove that nukes are safe,i mean nuclear weapons are not easy to use it's not like a bunch of uneducated men can launch them and destroy the world.Nuclear weapons are not like ATMs.:lol:

9/11 may have gotten inside help but not from the top gevernment officials,imean who would be crazy enough to do that,although it di open up a great oppurtunity for them to take away our nuclear weapons.We have to prove that nukes are safe,i mean nuclear weapons are not easy to use it's not like a bunch of uneducated men can launch them and destroy the world.Nuclear weapons are not like ATMs.:lol:

Watch this with an open mind. http://www.defence.pk/forums/general-images-multimedia/25112-9-11-coincidences.html

Pakistan should be very careful in dealing with U.S. government.

you are rit that they cant just take our nukes out. when they say that our nukes are not safe, they actually mean that if religious parties takeover. if religous parties like JUI, MMA etc take over and form the gov our nukes are not safe(according to them) coz army will be under their control. or else if taliban take over and somehow form the gov lik they did in afghanistan in 1999. in both of these cases americans will bomb our nuclear facilities and somehow take out our warheads. to stop this from happenin, we need to stop our society from gettin redicalised. there are many reasons y that could happen. to me they include drone attacks, millitary operations in which mostly civilians die and obviously american interference

i am totally against acceptin this aid. its better to have no economy than to have an economy in which we have to live lik slaves

This will be a very crucial move because Zardari sa'ab needs the money for the continuation of the war and also the continuation of his pocket money and he can't keep up the work without US aid the reason he is going to accept the aid is because he knows that in the current situation no one else will help im other than the US however this will be tale of 2 negotiators and who comes out on top.

This will be a very crucial move because Zardari sa'ab needs the money for the continuation of the war and also the continuation of his pocket money and he can't keep up the work without US aid the reason he is going to accept the aid is because he knows that in the current situation no one else will help im other than the US however this will be tale of 2 negotiators and who comes out on top.

everything wat u have said is rit but i still think its too big a risk to take. also dont u think he will face strong resistance from PM and military establishment.

Bane Blade
Brother, You maybe right but it will mean the downfall of the Government.I cant see this acceptance going down well either with the Army or the opposition. As to the poor state of Pakistan, We have been pimped and sold by so many and on so many occasions that, one more up the rear is not going to matter___ Iam ashamed to have written this a bout my own country , but unfortunately it is the truth.
Araz

Bane Blade
Brother, You maybe right but it will mean the downfall of the Government.I cant see this acceptance going down well either with the Army or the opposition. As to the poor state of Pakistan, We have been pimped and sold by so many and on so many occasions that, one more up the rear is not going to matter___ Iam ashamed to have written this a bout my own country , but unfortunately it is the truth.
Araz

Well in a political sense this is showing the downfall of the PPP very soon it will help PML(N)'s chances for victory in the next elections what is important though is that PML(N) coming to power won't let this happen they have denied US aid before and hopefully we may start to live on our own it will mean higher taxes and tougher labour but it will be better for us to stand on our own 2 feet and have our own sovereignty.

Well in a political sense this is showing the downfall of the PPP very soon it will help PML(N)'s chances for victory in the next elections what is important though is that PML(N) coming to power won't let this happen they have denied US aid before and hopefully we may start to live on our own it will mean higher taxes and tougher labour but it will be better for us to stand on our own 2 feet and have our own sovereignty.

I hope you are right my Brother.
My previous 2 experiences with PML(N) have been singularly disappointing. especially the last one was a golden opportunity that was just squandered away, with petty infighting and the lust for total control. It is one thing if you want to do good but the circumstances do not allow it, they had everything, a huge majority in parlianment, but they did diddley Squat on that occasion. I personally have lost hope with the elder Sharif, whose mental powers auger ill for the country. However, I hear good things about he younger brother. He is a doer and provided, he gets some good advisers around him, he can do the job. Having met him albeit briefly, i am not a fan of his mental prowess either.
WaSalam
Araz

Instead of taking the US aid, why not increase nuclear material and nuclear weapons production? Sell your excess on the open market! Sell some to the Saudis, the Yemenis, the Syrians, to Venezuelans, to Bolivians, the Cubans ... ...That would really stick it to those arrogant Americans.

Instead of taking the US aid, why not increase nuclear material and nuclear weapons production? Sell you excess on the open market! Sell some to the Saudis, the Yemenis, the Syrians, to Venezuelans, to Bolivians, the Cubans ... ...That would really stick it to those arrogant Americans.

That's a great idea, screw it I'm writing an open letter to Kayani.

Instead of taking the US aid, why not increase nuclear material and nuclear weapons production? Sell your excess on the open market! Sell some to the Saudis, the Yemenis, the Syrians, to Venezuelans, to Bolivians, the Cubans ... ...That would really stick it to those arrogant Americans.

Well then it will be a bit of an ask considering we would be sanctioned the next day and consideredall evil the third and Uncle Sam will make sure their is another coup and Bang..... Nawaz gone again US happy for another few years.

Back
Top Bottom