What's new

World’s tallest railway bridge in Kashmir

Justin Joseph

Reaction score
World’s tallest railway bridge in Kashmir

SRINAGAR: Upcoming railway line connecting Srinagar with the plains will have the world’s tallest as well as India’s highest railway bridge. An expert team of the Railway Board has approved the alignment of the latter recently.

Safety norms forced the Railways to stop implementation of the major stretches of the Katra-Qazigund part of the prestigious project. Later, it was reviewed and alignments in certain stretches were amended.

Though the alignment was cleared, but permission to the two major bridges on river Chenab and Anji nullah remained withheld for safety reasons. Last week both the bridges were cleared after experts from IIT Delhi inspected the sites.

An IIT team recently visited Reasi district and found the ongoing construction on the 359 meters high bridge fulfilling all the safety norms. This bridge is taller than the Eiffel Tower.

Located at Kauri hamlet, around 40 kms from Reasi, it is being implemented by Afcons Infrastructure Limited. Once ready it will beat surpass the record of Millau Viaduct in France that is the highest cable stayed road bridge in the world. :yahoo::yahoo:

Prof K S Rao led the team of experts, railway sources said. Its construction was stopped on July 12, 2008, forcing Railways to appoint a seven-member team to examine the safety concerns.

The team later visited Anji bridge that, once implemented, will be country’s tallest railway bridge and also the longest span railway bridge in India. It has cleared its construction as well. Its height from the bottom of the Anji gorge will be 180 meters with a span of 2200 meters.

Railways sources said after the clearance, they will be initiating talks with Gamon India for its implementation. It had earlier been allotted the work before its implementation was stopped on safety grounds.

Raising fingers on safety norms of the track, especially the two bridges, led to a series of measures. These included engaging foreign consultants and also involving DRDO for evolving a security blueprint for safety of the wonder – the Chenab bridge.

A national project, linking Kashmir with Jammu has been a long pending dream of the policy makers in Delhi. While Jammu is already linked with Udhampur, caving in of certain tunnels delayed the start of the Udhampur-Katra stretch that is otherwise ready.

The rest of the track has two sections, one connecting south Kashmir Qazigund with north Kashmir Baramulla which is functional for over a year now. Completion of the Qaigund-Katra section will complete the project but will take many more years and lot of money.

Sources in the railways said the major tunnel that is connecting Qazigund with Banihal is nearing completion. It is being implemented by the HCC.

Railways brings highest, tallest, bridge to Kashmir-Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times

Pardon me for being cynical.....

A good target for PAF in case of future Indo-Pak war.:undecided:

Otherwise a great initiative.

Pardon me for being cynical.....

A good target for PAF in case of future Indo-Pak war.:undecided:

Otherwise a great initiative.

Gone are those days when A Bombing run was Possible, In todays world Scenario Its Impossible to cross the Border, High Tech Surface to Air Missiles are not Kept for Show....

Gone are those days when A Bombing run was Possible, In todays world Scenario Its Impossible to cross the Border, High Tech Surface to Air Missiles are not Kept for Show....

I agree sir....but defending it entirely in case of a full blown war is simplly not possible in my opinion....

SAM s after all are not 100% fault proof...

Thats y i said im being cynical....

I agree sir....but defending it entirely in case of a full blown war is simplly not possible in my opinion....

Don't worry. We have a lot of SAMs deployed and not only that. We have Su-30MKIs in the valley. In order to reach the bridge, the PAF has to cover a lot of distance which is just not possible.

A batch of 6 Aircrafts are always ready in every squadron with the Pilot in and waits for the call even during Peace time, Such an Alert force we have and I dont think any force can escape from the Claws of these men and Machines.

And About SAMS, Yes they are 100% Fault proof.... To check that there are User trials for a random Missile from the arsenal

Last edited:
A very brief project history

In 1983, Indira Gandhi laid the foundation for the 54-km Jammu-Udhampur stretch. The railways later promised that a rail link would be extended by 290 km to Baramulla in the Kashmir Valley. But nothing was done till 1996, when then prime minister P.V. Narasimha Rao sanctioned Rs.2,600 crore for the extension of the rail link from Udhampur to Baramulla, covering 290 km.

After that, there was no headway in the project for many years. But then prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee declared it as a national project in 2003.

The project has been divided into three parts - 41 km long Udhampur to Katra, 130 km long Katra to Qazigund and the 119 km Qazigund to Baramulla.

Justin bhai, please include this photograph in your above post.

getimage792948wc7.jpg

main.php

clipboard01dm6.jpg

25052008010001005wn5.jpg

Track laying work in Katra valley in progress
473587561_b557683c07_b.jpg

Last edited:
People of J&K are same as other Indians so they also have right to use Railways routes as other uses . This will be the milestone for India.:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom