What's new

Why is South Indian food different from North Indian food?

North Indian food and south Indian foods are different because the geography is different.
North Indians use a lot of butter,mustard oil and spices.This so because that kinda food will keep the body warm.
South Indians use a lot of coconut because that would keep the body cool. No rocket science there! :-)
This is called the art of cooking :P
south india also uses lot of spices ...if I have to say then south india uses more spices then norther counter part....
after all kerala is spice bowl of india......:p:
we use a lot of oil and every thing is fried,....where as south uses many thing raw.....and I like that.....raw is good...:-)
south uses a lot of coco nut.....I have got one question why south uses lot of sour in food or its just mine ignorance......:undecided:

You from Kerala right? Am curious mate, how did Parotta end up being so famous and widespread in Kerala and parts of TN? Isn't it North Indian?

probably during the British rule when Britishers could not handle south Indian food... idli Dosa is pretty simple but certain other stuff can ruin your stomach . Besides . food will always spread but the staple diet has never changed ..

south india also uses lot of spices ...if I have to say then south india uses more spices then norther counter part....
we use a lot of oil and every thing is fried,....where as south uses many thing raw.....and I like that.....raw is good...:-)
south uses a lot of coco nut.....I have got one question why south uses lot of sour in food or its just mine ignorance......:undecided:

The Coconuts are abused here :lol: every single thing of the coconut is used in something 0% wastage

probably during the British rule when Britishers could not handle south Indian food... idli Dosa is pretty simple but certain other stuff can ruin your stomach

I doubt it. Bangalore was a huge contonment and garrison of the Brits in South India. Yet, Parotta is a recent entrant there, and most Parotta Centres are frequented by migrants from Kerala and TN.

I doubt it. Bangalore was a huge contonment and garrison of the Brits in South India. Yet, Parotta is a recent entrant there, and most Parotta Centres are frequented by migrants from Kerala and TN.
its nt true bro....
in andhra u will find ur paratha in every corner......hotel small or big....u will find paratha.......:angry:
and that too with lot of oil........
:raise: Whatever I feel like cooking :ashamed:
what are u cooking/........:unsure::unsure:

Achaa???
I think curd and tamarind is used both in north and south Indian food.
Btw I think right now we are talking about extreme northern states and south Indian states. What about the states inbetween??? :P

Parotta is nothing but lachha partha's refined form.
My theory is somebody from north once made lachhaa paratha for his south Indian friend. South Indian friend who wanted to emulate his north Indian fren ended making paratha with white flour and called it parotttttaaa. :D

Parotta isn't staple diet if south india . Weird you say that , my grand dad lived in B.lore . He used to run the Indian Coffee house and i quiet remember my dad talking about having parottas in Bangalore ...

Achaa???
I think curd and tamarind is used both in north and south Indian food.
Btw I think right now we are talking about extreme northern states and south Indian states. What about the states inbetween??? :P
curd is used but nt much ...I eat it fresh with chini....and roti sometime....(curd + sugar...with roti...)
tamarind not much in use except when u make chutney or paani puri paani.....
aur to curd is used in making curry ...but i don't like that much.....
thats all..
but in south they do put tamarind or curd or mango in many foods....right...../:unsure:
bich wale states bas aaewae hi hai....
want to knw abt my state food.....:p:....mat puchna.....::butcher:

its nt true bro....
in andhra u will find ur paratha in every corner......hotel small or big....u will find paratha.......:angry:
and that too with lot of oil........

what are u cooking/........:unsure::unsure:

Paratha is different from Parotta..though the Parotta is derived from Paratha.
Andhrites don't eat Parotta, they eat Paratha.:)

This is a Parotta:
P2151603.JPG

This is a Paratha:
bobbattlusweet%2Bparatha%2Bandhratelangana.jpg

Parotta isn't staple diet if south india . Weird you say that , my grand dad lived in B.lore . He used to run the Indian Coffee house and i quiet remember my dad talking about having parottas in Bangalore ...
A few may have been available in Bangalore in the 1980s, but they certainly weren't commonplace until the IT boom brought in a lot of Keralites and Tamilians to Bangalore.

Chettinad cuisine has also been an integral part of Bangalore, and Tamilians from nearby Hosur were the first large migrant group to Bangalore. Most of HAL's earliest labour force were from TamilNadu.

Back
Top Bottom