What's new

Why is Saudi Arabia beefing up its blasphemy laws?

ajtr

BANNED
Reaction score
Why is Saudi Arabia beefing up its blasphemy laws?

saudi_11.jpg

Some Saudi Arabian officials evidently feel that their country's blasphemy laws -- which treat transgressions as hudud or "limits," punishable by death in some cases -- are too lax. To rectify the situation, Reuters reports, the government is considering regulations that would criminalize insulting Islam, the Prophet Muhammad, or elements of Sharia:

'Within the next two months the Shura Council will reveal the outcome of study on the regulations to combat the criticism of the basic tenets of Islamic sharia,' unnamed sources with knowledge of the matter told al-Watan, adding that there could be ‘severe punishments' for violators.

Criticism penalised under the law would include that of the Prophet, early Muslim figures and clerics, it said.

‘The (regulations) are important at the present time because violations over social networks on the Internet have been observed in the past months,' the sources said.

What is puzzling about the proposed legislation is what exactly it would fix. Saudi officials do not appear to be hamstrung by the existing legal apparatus, which metes out justice to dozens of blasphemers every year. In fact, Saudi Arabia does not have a written penal code, meaning that judges already issue rulings based on their own interpretation of the Quran. According to Human Rights Watch, this means that blasphemy convictions are often handed down without citing any legal basis. As a result, anything from insulting the Prophet's companions, to mocking religion, to using "un-Islamic terminology" can get you convicted of blasphemy.

Nor do lily-livered judges or lenient sentences appear to be the problem. In 2008, for instance, a Mecca appeals court upheld the death sentence for Sabi Bogday, a Turkish national, who allegedly insulted God during an argument. In this case, the testimony of two witnesses was sufficient to prove Bogday's guilt.

In fairness, the death sentence for blasphemy seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Flogging and prison time are more standard fare. Still, the argument that Saudi's blasphemy laws are too permissive has a decidedly hollow ring.

Indeed, even the charge that social media is frustrating efforts to keep Saudi's public sphere squeaky clean doesn't hold water. Earlier this year, for instance, 23-year-old Hamza Kashgari was extradited from Malaysia to stand trial after he tweeted that the Prophet was merely inspirational, not divine.

The rumblings in Riyadh, then, probably have less to do with a perceived blasphemy pandemic and more to do with the ruling family's growing unease with the democratic transitions now underway in much of the Middle East. Although it has historically kept the country's religious establishment at arms-length, recent events have convinced the royal family to take all the support it can get.

Ajtr, I think I'm going to have to talk to Mr.Ajtr and have him clamp down on your 'internet' usage ! Behan...itnaaa troll karo gei aur phir trolling karvo gee tou then the little one is going to grow up to be a master troll him/herself ! :rofl:

P.S Abbb yeh na kehnaa ke 'mein tou trolling nahin kartei' - Hummm sabbb trolls hain ! :woot:

Just saying, the mosque is the biggest in Riyadh named as 'Al-Rajhi' and can accommodate several thousands on three floors including basement. It is located on outskirts of Riyadh and on Fridays, you don't get car parking and you got to park your car about 4-8 KM away and complete the remaining journey on feet.

It was excellent air conditioning and has Zamzam available too. Just saying.

As for topic, the Saudi blasphemy laws are different than Pakistan. If a Saudi citizen sees anyone committing 'Blasphemy', he would talk to him and slowly more people will gather and after a huge, long-lasted argument, either the mindset of the person would be changed or the police will take him, and hand over to religious police who will do the same as others did. The death penalty is rare, depending on degree of 'Blasphemy'.

The Pakistani law made by the citizens and extremists of killing a person publicly is insane and I never came across such law in Islam (yet).

I guess Saudi's are taking inspiration from Pakistan in this case..

I sense internal politics being played over peoples' rights.

they can't really be taken seriously till they undo the big unjust rule of their country - that there's a monarchy.

I sense internal politics being played over peoples' rights.

they can't really be taken seriously till they undo the big unjust rule of their country - that there's a monarchy.
Couldn't agree more. It is highly hypocritical that they have such laws in their own country and then they attack other countries over dictatorship. The internal politics in a monarchy are just sickening

Couldn't agree more. It is highly hypocritical that they have such laws in their own country and then they attack other countries over dictatorship. The internal politics in a monarchy are just sickening
Monarchy itself is less than perfect, but per se it isn't sickening. I wouldn't call a revolution to remove something less than perfect by something the furthest possible removed from perfection - anarchy.

Monarchy itself is less than perfect, but per se it isn't sickening. I wouldn't call a revolution to remove something less than perfect by something the furthest possible removed from perfection - anarchy.
I find a monarchy a lot worse than a dictatorship. At least the dictator does something to gain power, what does a monarch do?

WTF! Pakistanis have nothing to do with our blasphemy law, it existed decades ago.

Bani Umayyah Bhai,

I know that most of the Blasphemy Laws in our country's legal system have existed for almost 100 years and are merely an inheritance of the British Legal System. In fact, the Blasphemy Laws in our legal system are almost indentical to the blasphemy laws introduced by the Church of England long ago into the Statute Books of the United Kingdom or England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

The world is not claiming that Pakistanis created all those blasphemy laws. The world knows that Pakistanis just inherited most of them from the British Empire.

What the world is asking is this: Why is Pakistan so helpless as a Democracy that, even with 98% of Seats in Parliament held by Secular Parties, it cannot seem to change or eliminate some or all of them?

I will leave it at that and let you reflect on it.

I was about to post the Reuters's article myself. The only problem was that I couldn't find any Middle Eastern or Arab source stating something similar. They all link back to the article on Reuters. I haven't heard of this news in the local "Saudi Gazette" or "Arab News" newspapers over here. It is possible that I may have missed this news altogether.

In any case, if this is news is legitimate, it would be interesting to see the kinds of punishments Arabia introduces for insulting Islam. I am personally of the opinion that there is no reason for them to do so. I have never come across people insulting Islam or any other religion for that matter over here. Based upon my own research, I know that Islam encourages freedom of thought & speech. Thus there is absolutely no punishment for insulting Islam or anyone else whatsoever. I am also of the opinion that there is no punishment for apostasy either, but that's an entirely different issue. As the scripture says; truth stands out clear from falsehood.

Ajtr, I think I'm going to have to talk to Mr.Ajtr and have him clamp down on your 'internet' usage ! Behan...itnaaa troll karo gei aur phir trolling karvo gee tou then the little one is going to grow up to be a master troll him/herself ! :rofl:

P.S Abbb yeh na kehnaa ke 'mein tou trolling nahin kartei' - Hummm sabbb trolls hain ! :woot:
HE is not in the country.:D
And for little one i ve already a scheduled chalked out daily.

Back
Top Bottom