What's new

Who draws the lines around countries?

ALOK31

BANNED
Reaction score
11800-AyoungPakistanistudentatILMschoolrespectfullyhoistingtheIndiannationalflag-1338964981-387-640x480.jpg

A young Pakistani student at ILM school, respectfully hoisting the Indian national flag. PHOTO: CHINTAN MODI

11800-ChildrenfromIndiaandPakistanattheExchangeforChangeExhibitionheldatNairangGalleryLahore-1338964930-902-640x480.jpg

Children from India and Pakistan at the Exchange for Change Exhibition held at Nairang Gallery, Lahore. PHOTO: CHINTAN MODI

11800-IndiaPakExchangeforchangeChintanModi-1338964856-656-640x480.jpg

India-Pak Exchange for change. PHOTO: CHINTAN MODI

11800-TheIndiandelegationbeingwarmlyreceivedatCitySchoolLahoreChintanModi-1338964618-548-640x480.jpg

The Indian delegation being warmly received at City School, Lahore. PHOTO: Chintan Modi

“Dear God, who draws the lines around the countries?” asks Nan, one of the many children whose utterances are gathered in a book called Children’s Letters to God compiled by Stuart Hample and Eric Marshall. It is such an innocent question, and such a poignant one. I wish more adults were asking this. They would, perhaps, if they felt the futility of borders.

I was in Lahore recently, as part of Exchange for Change, a programme jointly run by Routes 2 Roots, a Delhi-based non-profit organisation and the Citizens Archive of Pakistan (CAP), which has offices in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad.

We were a 21-member delegation from India, comprising students and teachers belonging to four different schools – Shishuvan and Gandhi Memorial School from Mumbai, and Sanskriti and St. Paul’s School from Delhi.

Nan’s question is one that I too asked as a child, when like many other children, I was being raised to think of Pakistan as an enemy country and Pakistanis as terrorists. I continued asking all through school, college and university, and through terrorist attacks, bomb blasts and cricket matches that were made to look like wars. I earned a mix of flak, suspicion and incomprehension. I was told I was being too optimistic, ridiculous or, even worse, a traitor! But I continued to ask.

I am glad, however, that things might be different for my students, three of whom got the opportunity to cross the Wagah Border near Amritsar and spend five days in Lahore. All three of them – Siddharth Gopal, Mahesh Sakhalkar and Aditi Shah – are ninth graders. The other two who went from Shishuvan were Kavita Anand, the director of our school, and I.

This visit to Lahore (February 16-20, 2012) was only one in a series of interventions planned under the Exchange for Change programme. The reciprocal visits of students and teachers from Pakistan to India and from India to Pakistan were preceded by an exchange of letters, picture postcards, photographs and oral history recordings with grandparents having memories of the partition to share.

The idea was to help students from both sides of the border appreciate the possibility and merits of sustained dialogue, between the two nations, in order to gain a clearer understanding of their shared history, culture and lifestyles. This material was exchanged, hoping it would clarify misconceptions and dispel misinformation about historical events. It would also help empower children to reject inherited prejudices and form their own opinions based on personal experience. It was a year-long programme that involved 2,400 students from Karachi, Lahore, Delhi and Mumbai.

But did it make a difference?

This is what Aditi thought of Lahore before she crossed the border.

“I expected a lot of women walking on the streets wearing burqas. I also thought it would be ancient, with all those lovely tiny lanes and I really didn’t think there would be a church in Lahore.”

After the visit, here is what she writes,

“Well, Pakistan is a lot like India. Lahore has a little bit of both Mumbai and Delhi in it. They are like us. They aren’t terrorists. That is just stupid – saying one particular country is filled with terrorists. It’s not like people don’t get killed at all in India, you know! Also, Lahore has amazingly delicious naan! And their newspapers are very interesting.”

We are back from Lahore but the conversations continue, in school, with family and friends. It is important that they do. People want to know what things look like on the other side of the border. They are full of questions.

When we walked on the streets, did we come across as foreigners?

How did local people like shopkeepers and rickshaw drivers respond to us when they got to know that we came from India?

Does Pakistan have people from non-Muslim communities?

Does one find vegetarian restaurants there?

Do women work?

What is the general level of education?

Do they have freedom of expression?

Do they have offices and modern infrastructure?

What are their views about India and Indians?

These are just some of the questions that came up in a discussion with a colleague. I am sure there are more. I love questions. They keep dialogue alive.

Our duty, as teachers, is to encourage such dialogue that might go a long way in building bridges. Most of our students may never visit Pakistan or meet a Pakistani. What they know and how they think will be largely based on what they pick up from school, hear or read in the media, and what they are told at home. What we can do, however, is to provide alternative perspectives, or at least build the skills to question and interpret images and information thrown at them.

It is important to find a balance between the two extremes of ‘they-are-all-terrorists’ and ‘we-are-all-brothers-and-sisters’. The real stuff is somewhere in between. Not at the border but in that space where we find the courage to shed the skins we wear too comfortably.

This post originally appeared here.:cheers:

Visa restrictions: Who draws lines around countries?

The last few months have been full of optimism for Indians and Pakistanis who are eager to step across the border and experience what lies on the other side. The fact that both countries have been working towards a liberal visa regime to enable people-to-people contact is a cause for celebration but there is bound to be anxiety until the time an official deal is signed.

The recent news about a last-minute snag, leading to a postponement in this process after a meeting between Pakistan’s former Interior Minister, Rehman Malik, and India’s Home Secretary, R K Singh, comes across as a dampener to the hopes of many who were jubilant about the possibility of tourist visas being issued soon.

I feel that we should not look at this as a failure but an obstacle to be overcome. This is a time for advocates of peace and friendship to stand together in solidarity rather than sulk or be cynical. I know it is a difficult thing to do but we must not despair yet.

As we wait for top officials in both countries to seal the deal, it might be a good idea to continue emphasising the need for interaction between the people of both nations and its potential in bridging the divides between those who have had little opportunity to interact with the ‘other side’ and are forced to believe borrowed images and ideas.

While the former interior minister (now advisor to the prime minister) and the home secretary were busy with discussions in Islamabad, another exchange was taking place in Mumbai. The Press Club of Mumbai received a 14-member delegation of journalists from Karachi who came down for a week-long visit.

I went over to meet them and ended up spending a whole evening with four of them. I avoid mentioning names in order to protect their privacy but would like to share a glimpse of the wonderful time we had together.

They were keen on shopping for jewellery for their spouses, sisters, daughters and other relatives, so we walked up to the famous Zaveri Bazaar. After buying some silver jewellery from a shop where I discovered, my hitherto, unexplored talent for bargaining, we explored out many stores and eventually landed at one they tremendously loved. What followed is something that I have never seen before. I was dazed at the amount of imitation jewellery they bought. I have never seen anyone shop for jewellery with the zeal I reserve for buying books at second-hand sales!

The rest of the evening was also packed with fun.

Bandra’s Linking Road reminded them of Liberty Market and Gulberg in Lahore. The seafront at Juhu beach made they exclaim,

This is so much like Karachi!

After dipping our feet in the sea, enjoying the cool breeze and posing for pictures, we had a delicious meal at the Mahesh Lunch Home, a restaurant famous for its seafood. It was a bit too late, so we had to round off our night-out with paan and goodbyes.

Regardless of whether we will stay in touch or not, it was indeed a special evening and I hope this was one of many more to come.

Speaking of people-to-people contact, I recall my first visit to Lahore in February 2012 as part of a delegation from Mumbai and Delhi comprising students and teachers from four different schools. When asked how he’d describe his experience of Pakistan to people who haven’t been there, Mahesh Sakhalkar, a student of Shishuvan School in Mumbai, who was then a ninth-grader, said:

I would tell those people to forget all that they have read, heard or seen on TV because it’s all nonsense. Pakistan is just like India and the people there are very friendly. It is a great place to be in.

What Mahesh said came from just spending five days in Lahore, visiting two schools and many historical monuments, interacting with children of his own age from the other side of the border, and from standing up for the national anthem of a country that many of his fellow Indians know little about, though it is just next door.

When asked if the experience could have been better, he said,

Yes, if we had visited more schools, roamed around more and shopped a little more. It would have been better if we had stayed a few more days.

I hope many other children from India are fortunate enough to experience this exchange and I wish the same for children from Pakistan as well.

This will happen soon, Inshallah, when getting a visa becomes a little easier.

i am 100% agreed with you.

problem is that a thread like this gets neglected and only a few ppl bother to comment here..... whereas a crap thread will have endless indian n pakistanis showing there manliness on internet.... even m a culprit..... neways bro a nice thread:yahoo:

Hindi movie ka dialogue hai......Upar wale ne dharti to ek banayi thi...insaan ne baarod aur janjeeron se sarhadein bana di..ye tera woh mera....main to khush hun ki Chaand aasman main hai, warna ye uske bhi tukde kar dete....

double post

problem is that a thread like this gets neglected and only a few ppl bother to comment here..... whereas a crap thread will have endless indian n pakistanis showing there manliness on internet.... even m a culprit..... neways bro a nice thread:yahoo:
ek dum sahi kaha.

A few pictures just don't cut it.We all know the truth down in our hearts and it is clearly reflected in other Indian-Pak threads.We might achieve co-operation but never will we achieve brotherly relations.

A few pictures just don't cut it.We all know the truth down in our hearts and it is clearly reflected in other Indian-Pak threads.We might achieve co-operation but never will we achieve brotherly relations.
In foreign countries both Pakistani and Indian lives like brother. Same culture, Same Language, Same skin, Same food i.e Baryani,Tandoori Chicken, Kofta, Paratha :meeting:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom