What's new

Veterans Interview Series

Irfan Baloch

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
dear Readers:
in the current times, there is vast array of information about anything you want to know about military, its personnel, its doctrines, its weapons and its involvement in peace and war. but there are always first hand personal stories of some individuals who have spent decades in the military that bring something fresh, unique and interesting that all avid readers and enthusiasts find interesting.

following interview is one of the many interviews I have planned to conduct with such people. do note that all such interviews with these people are conducted on the following premise

Share their personal career and its interesting events and how they see our military evolving and their on the current affairs relating to Pakistan. this also not only gives an insight of our military thinking to the public but also helps to bridge the gap in order to boost the morale of the general public.

there are some indirect outcomes expected from these interviews l like dispelling misconceptions and misunderstandings and targeted propaganda organised as a campaign by some media outlets to cause rift and mistrust among the people and its forces which is an essential element of something that is called asymmetric warfare. i

but at least these interviews are to cater for a special niche of individuals who are interested in Pakistan military purely from professional point of view

I would like to clarify that the scope of this article is based on what is public knowledge when it comes to working of the Pakistan military and what its own veterans (and allies and adversaries think about it. anything which is only need to know would be omitted or vaguely refered with names and places changed.

Interview with a Former Gunner Lt. Col (r) S. Kazmi

Col Kazmi.jpg

Question 1: Sir, please give a brief about .. your army career and your experience with the choice of corps you were commissioned in?

Answer
a. I was commissioned in the Corps of Artillery in April 1972 . It was my own choice which I luckily got. Having served in Artillery for over 27 years I feel, I was meant for that, it suited me best. It is interesting to mention that I had liked Artillery from the days of my childhood when I saw some WW-II movies with guns firing in the battles. That was why I opted for Artillery.

Trg%20Area%20Gate%20copy.jpg

School of Artillery Pakistan army Artillery

b. The highlights of my career spread over 27 years are as under:-
(1) Regimental Service as a Lieutenant/Captain/Major , during which I attended various professional courses at different Army Schools.
(2) Instructor ( in the rank of a Major ) at the School of Artillery 1982-85
(3) Officers Staff Course at Command&Staff College Quetta-1986
(4) GSO-2 Operations at Formation Head Quarters ( Commanded by a Major General) 1987-89
(5) Second-in-Command of a Field Artillery Regiment 1989-90
(6) Instructor ( in the rank of a Lieutenant Colonel ) at the School of Artillery -1991-93
(7) Commanding Officer of a Field Regiment Artillery -1993-95
(8) Staff Officer (Grade-1) at a Corps Headquarters 1996-97
(9) Directing Staff (Artillery) at Army Aviation School 1998-99
(10) Retired on completion of service on First August 1999

Staff College 1.JPG

Command and Staff CollegeCommand & Staff College Quetta
Question 2: Sir, give us some of your most life changing events that defined your career?

Answer : Following three events had defining effect on my career :
1. Attending Regimental Officers Gunnery Course during 1976 , in which I obtained "A" Grade. This encouraged me to appear for competitive exam for Gunnery Staff Course.
2. Attended Gunnery Staff Course in 1979-80 and obtained B+ Grade with recommendation of posting as Instructor at the School of Artillery.
3. Attended Officers Staff Course at Command & Staff College Quetta during 1986.

Question 3 : While in service, what achievements are you most proud of?

1. I consider my two tenures as Instructor at the School of Artillery and one tenure as instructor ( Directing Staff) at Army Aviation School as my greatest achievements. I had a large number of officers as my students in various courses and I am proud of having been their instructor and for contributing very positively in their progress in future careers.
2. I had occasionally contributed articles in the Artillery Journal during my service. One of those articles which I had got published in 1983 , was selected for and published again in 1997 in the Golden Jublee Issue of Artillery Journal, being one of the few best articles of past fifty years .

EDK_Mushak_88-5170_Qasim.jpg

Army Aviation SchoolArmy Aviation School

Question 4: If given the chance would you have done something differently that defined your career in military?any regrets or missed opportunities while in service?
Answer: Generally would like to follow the same pattern, with few minor changes here and there.

Question 5: Its evolution over the decades,Air Defence separation , how long Pak Artillery has come?

Artillery_Battery_Fire.jpg

Answer: he Corps of Artillery has existed since 1947 partition of India/Pakistan. Some of the present Artillery Units are existing since British Indian Army times. Initially Field Artillery and Air Defence Artillery ( known as Anti Air Craft Artillery ) were both part of Corps of Artillery. In 90 separate Air Defence Corps was established comprising of Air Defence Regiments(units) .

Orli-e.jpg

(Orlican gun system with sky guard)
Question 6: how artillery is same or different from armoured corps, fire support, fire power?

Answer: Armoured Corps is a fighting Arm, it physically keeps moving while fighting in the battle. Whereas Artillery is a Supporting Arm , that provides fir support to moving troops of Infantry or Armoured Corps, while it remains deployed in the gun positions.It has to be deployed to fire , can not fire while on move.

Question 7: How is strategic forces command setup and what is its relation with artillery.?

Pakistan+Tests+Hatf-9++IX+Nasr+Ballistic+Missile+Nuclear+Army+%25286%2529.jpg

Answer:Strategic Force Command is to control Nuclear and Missile Assets. These are under direct control of GHQ I guess. Whereas Artillery units and formations are integral part of bigger infantry and armour formations, like Divisions and Corps.

Question 8: How do you see Corps modernization & integration with IT for command and control? any comments about current technology trends like information technology and its application/ integration with artillery

Answer: I think with time the formations and units are now well equipped and trained to make full use of modern advanced information technology. (specifics are classified).
The induction of new technology , and modern means never stops in army. It is an ongoing process.

Question 9: Do you see possible use of Drones as airborne artillery observers in near future?
It is very much possible , I , however , have no idea of any progress in this field.

Question 10: what makes a good Artillery OP? what special training he has for survival against threats & mission success?

Answer: Artillery observer does not operate in isolation, he acts as OP with some Infantry or Armour unit within there area of operations. Therefore, he has their protection all the time. He is well trained in peace time exercises and courses for his possible task in the real battle.

Question 11 share some information about relations with armour/ infantry as FOO and procedures in providing fire support are all your battery commanders essentially out on independent OP or FOO duties with infantry & armor?

Answer:In case of operations , whether in defence , or attack, every Infantry/Armour Unit Commanding Officer has with him ONE Artillery Battery Commander and 3/4 Observers (officers) for his operations. When in defence these observers are physically deployed on observation posts (and are called OP) specifically established at suitable positions with in the defensive localities to effectively observe the enemy and engage them with fire when required. When moving to attack , same observers are called FOO ( forward observation officer ) , they move with infantry troops and provide them artillery fire support by observing the enemy and directing fire on to enemy positions.
pak-army-exe.jpg

Question 12 How you see role of artillery in past conflicts and in COIN?

Answer: Role of Artillery is of vital importance in all battles. About 1965 Indo Pak war it is said , Pakistan was saved by 3 As , Allah , Artillery and Air Force.

Question 13: what are Artillery's most versatile and favored weapon systems?

Answer: Artillery has a large variety of guns in its inventory that range from world war II towed artillery guns to modern self propelled heavy guns. Overall Artillery is very well equipped.Besides guns it also has few batteries of Multi Barrelled Rocket Launchers.

MLRS.jpg

Question:14: any specific comments for towed or SP e.g 155 mm Panter howitzers etc. what is field artillery's favored gun?

Answer: No specific comments , all guns are very effective in their respective roles. And Pakistan Army Gunners take great pride in the Gun they are operating on.

artillery-parade.jpg

Question 15: what is the general strategy in mind in terms of our 3 commands. importance in Pakistan army itself and its relations with armor & infantry

Answer The strategies to be followed are available in black and white in the books of courses that are run in armies all over the world. With time and experience these keep getting modified and improved. specifics are best kept out of public sphere.

---Continued---

Last edited:
Question 9: Do you see possible use of Drones as airborne artillery observers in near future?

Its already going on... PA is using UAVs as arty observers...

< witnesses such a demo...

"Few" MBRL "batteries" (*my father commanded a mbrl once upon a time) ..have been .@$#.. now we are using MLRS (new abreviation) in quiet good numbers... and Arty guys seem quiet content with the A-100s..

:)

Well it seems he was reserved and just answered in a very general manner as if one talks to a kid.

Well it seems he was reserved and just answered in a very general manner as if one talks to a kid.

Of course. The high-and-mighty faujis have to make things very simple for the foolish civilians to understand. :D

Seriously though, a decent interview IMO.

Last edited:
we couldnt meet up so I had to send the questions via email. otherwise I would have probed more on few things where you think a little more insight would have helped.

although I see what you are saying but please understand that army men have to be mindful what they say as it can be misquoted or interpreted into something they didnt say.
if you think he can add something to his answers then let me know so that I can bring that up in our meeting

Of course. The high-and-mighty faujis have to make things very simple for the foolish civilians to understand. :D

Seriously though, a decent interview IMO.
I think of militarized version of SOX and ISO9000 rules and compliance when it comes to him, nothing more nothing less just to the point kind of a person.

hopefully he will warm up in our followup interviews I didnt touch domestic and geo-politics yet so we will see what he says.

we couldnt meet up so I had to send the questions via email. otherwise I would have probed more on few things where you think a little more insight would have helped.

although I see what you are saying but please understand that army men have to be mindful what they say as it can be misquoted or interpreted into something they didnt say.
if you think he can add something to his answers then let me know so that I can bring that up in our meeting
My field is IR (international relations) so i wanted some questions relating the Geo Political situations and our future possible Strategies and tactics to cover them up. But i guess these are questions only a General in GHQ can really answer.

I guess i was expecting to much from wrong sources.

@Irfan Baloch
Great share brother, nice to read well mannered and mature question and answers.

Thank you once more.
thanks dear there is one more that was much harder to edit I will link it for you. have a read in your spare time. the guy I interviewed is my family friend from childhood and is now instructor in SSG. there were some technical errors left out by me in the end due to fatigue and pressure to submit it in time.I hope you can catch them.

check this one out too.. dated but related

thanks dear there is one more that was much harder to edit I will link it for you. have a read in your spare time. the guy I interviewed is my family friend from childhood and is now instructor in SSG. there were some technical errors left out by me in the end due to fatigue and pressure to submit it in time.I hope you can catch them.

check this one out too.. dated but related
Sir link is not available.
I try my best but you are quite a good writer and knowledgeable person I highly doubt I could catch any error, besides that i am a poor reader i am in habbit of finish things in a hurry.

no follow up interview??

@Irfan Baloch Good point above. How about more? I don't know how I missed the original; it must have been about the time I was shifting to Hyderabad from UP, and things were very messy. The interview was a treat, although the good Colonel was playing his cards very close to his chest (the point you made subsequently was valid; he had to watch what he said very carefully - one reason why it is sometimes better to bow out of an interview invitation gracefully).

But do follow on. And preferably with something that does not tread on the toes of the thousand and one things bedevilling neighbourly relations with other countries, please.

@Irfan Baloch Good point above. How about more? I don't know how I missed the original; it must have been about the time I was shifting to Hyderabad from UP, and things were very messy. The interview was a treat, although the good Colonel was playing his cards very close to his chest (the point you made subsequently was valid; he had to watch what he said very carefully - one reason why it is sometimes better to bow out of an interview invitation gracefully).

But do follow on. And preferably with something that does not tread on the toes of the thousand and one things bedevilling neighbourly relations with other countries, please.
i was just hurling around my old reads and remembered that i was waiting for it lol

Back
Top Bottom