What's new

Vehicles Used By Indian Air Force

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
When people see blue colored cars on the roads with tinted/normal shields, they get attracted to them. Many civilians doesn’t even know that they are owned by Indian Air Force. You must also note that blue color refers to the sky which is the limit of air force. As many of you would have seen that all buildings(official) are painted in blue. I am gonna show you all the vehicles used for transport by IAF

Flag-Marshal-Car01.jpg

First of all HM Ambassador is used in full blue which glitters not because it is washed each and every day by the workers but it carries all finest officers on its back the whole day. It is also used by Indian Army and Navy. It’s only meant for officers going for official work from home/office. You can also find round Indian flag in front and at the back. For very senior officers above Group Captain no. plate is replaced by the stars which vary according to the ranks.

Note: In case of Air Chief Marshal‘s car, the no. plate has these wordings: IAF 1 with flag in front, IAF logo and 4 shining white stars on blue plate.

And in case of Marshal of the Air it has 5 stars on blue plate.

01TVTVMSP_SINGH_1_1162428f.jpg

Secondly, Gypsy is used widely by IAF. You can’t buy that car but you gotta earn that. Gypsy is comfortable and fit for long ride. Manufactured by Maruti, Gypsy is good in speed, acceleration, colors and power.

581436_10151441172743001_24017285_n.jpg

Mahindra has also made entry into IAF vehicles a few years back. Mahindra Scorpio is driven by IAF senior level officers which adds a shine to their ranks. It is given to Air Commodore and above it. For Indian Army bullet proof Scorpio is also manufactured with thickened body and glasses.

Air-Force-Police.jpg

Royal Enfield 350cc: As of now IAF uses this but it is in talks that they may add 500cc version to the list soon. This bike is given to the Air Force Police so that hey can check every situation as soon as possible

Flag-Marshal-Car02.jpg

TATA & Ashok Leyland trucks are widely used for the shifting of some stuff and getting goods from outside. They are also used as transport for school childrens to nearby government schools like Air Force School, Army Public School, Kendriya Vidayalaya etc. and for taking patients to near by command hospitals or big hospitals.

All of these vehicles have a different plate number which is given by air force(MT Section) and not by any transport authority.

MT(Motor Transport) Section is present in every unit (small or big) which is a parking and servicing area for all the used vehicles. From there cars or trucks or buses are sent for required work after getting permission from the officer.

If you wants to drive those blue cars then you must earn them. There are many exams for entering into Air Force as officers which are NDA, CDSE, AFCAT, FTS and a lot more.

- See more at: Vehicles Used By Indian Air Force | The Auto Spy

Mahindra has also made entry into IAF vehicles a few years back. Mahindra Scorpio is driven by IAF senior level officers which adds a shine to their ranks. It is given to Air Commodore and above it. For Indian Army bullet proof Scorpio is also manufactured with thickened body and glasses.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/281122-vehicles-used-indian-air-force.html#ixzz2ghYbPJBN

Cars are not driven by senior level officers, they have chaueffers.

Scorpio and other newer cars go by demand, senior officers still have The Amby's to go around.:pissed:

The articles kinda unprofessional,

Well in Pakistan The staff cars (cars given to Star officers) is a Black Toyota Corolla Gli/xli and the number plate is civilian and one cannot distinguish it from a Civilian Car .
This was done after the fatal attack on Surgeon General in Rawalpindi

Toyota's Corolla is about:
  • Pak. Rs. 25 Lakhs or Ind. Rs.12.5 Lakhs
Toyota has a standard issue assembly plant with collaborator Habib's Indus Motor in Pakistan but large somewhat Global operations out of China, India, Indonesia, Turkey and mega factories and operations out of Thailand.

Thinking strategically, even if the Indian forces bought locally made Toyota's, plenty of spares are available not only locally but also around friendly neighborhood countries.

Considering near compatible pricing, Mahindra Bolero's or Tata Xenon's cost only a tad less (and are better value for money) then a Corolla or Hi-Lux's but not on brand image, the Indian forces opting for Indian brands is a bit over-the-top patriotism. Allowed.

And we haven't' even talked about the technical merits of an Ambassador Vs. Corolla ;).

However much the Suzuki Gypsy is near 0 in brand visibility unlike the HiLux, I can vouch for the Gypsy being good enough for general purpose duty. India's got an entire muscle 4x4 industry in the likes of the Mahindra Thar, Axe, Force Motor's Gurkha or Tata Xenon and a few more.

Put another way, will Indian forces ever buy Made-in-India Harley Davidson's, Triumph's or Ducati's

Last edited:
I
I even know how to decode their number plate.:pop:

Bro I have one qns.

Who will take care guarding the vital installation of IAF, is it general duty airmen or IAF military police since Garud is for offensive only.

Like if there is any raid by enemy para troopers at an IAF air field, who will protect against such a trained unit? I knew few airmen use to guard the premises. @kurup @sancho @Abingdonboy

I

Bro I have one qns.

Who will take care guarding the vital installation of IAF, is it general duty airmen or IAF military police since Garud is for offensive only.

Like if there is any raid by enemy para troopers at an IAF air field, who will protect against such a trained unit? I knew few airmen use to guard the premises. @kurup @sancho @Abingdonboy

Earlier Para commandos used to guard IAF bases in sensitive zones like Srinagar,Avantipura but now DSC and Garuds along with AF Police and airmen guard the bases.

I have had the privelage of visiting many AF bases and let me tell you entering a AF base is not easy..they are always on their feet even though the bases i visited were not in a sensitive zone.

And mate Garuds are basically for defensive role of guarding air fileds and this is the reason they were raised.

Earlier Para commandos used to guard IAF bases in sensitive zones like Srinagar,Avantipura but now DSC and Garuds along with AF Police and airmen guard the bases.

I have had the privelage of visiting many AF bases and let me tell you entering a AF base is not easy..they are always on their feet even though the bases i visited were not in a sensitive zone.

And mate Garuds are basically for defensive role of guarding air fileds and this is the reason they were raised.

But they are just 2000

I

Bro I have one qns.

Every IAF installation will have a Quick Reaction Team (QRT), depending on the size and nature of the base this QRT will either be made up of DSC/IAF police or for the most sensitive installations Guruds will be in place. Aside from that all IAF installations have armed DSC/IAF Police providing perimeter protection (on the gates and such). So yes, the Garuds are used for force protection duties to protect the most at-risk installations and assets, it wouldn't be wise to discuss specifics of course.

FYI, the size of the Garud force is being expanded on a continuous basis.

I think we've talked about this in the past bro. Yeah, Indian military bases on the whole are almost excessively protected/guarded. At least this is what I've heard from many sources.

Every IAF installation will have a Quick Reaction Team (QRT), depending on the size and nature of the base this QRT will either be made up of DSC/IAF police or for the most sensitive installations Guruds will be in place. Aside from that all IAF installations have armed DSC/IAF Police providing perimeter protection (on the gates and such). So yes, the Garuds are used for force protection duties to protect the most at-risk installations and assets, it wouldn't be wise to discuss specifics of course.

FYI, the size of the Garud force is being expanded on a continuous basis.

I think we've talked about this in the past bro. Yeah, Indian military bases on the whole are almost excessively protected/guarded. At least this is what I've heard from many sources.
You are right...for example i wish i could give an example of a secret radar intallation and its security..but it would be sane not to go any further on this forum or on internet itelf.

You are right...for example i wish i could give an example of a secret radar intallation and its security..but it would be sane not to go any further on this forum or on internet itelf.
It's better to keep such things hush-hush bro. Better to be safe than sorry :D

It's better to keep such things hush-hush bro. Better to be safe than sorry :D

Yup...but i assure every Indian on this forum that the security is very tight...Infact out of the 3 times in the past 1 year i have been to a AF base i have had very tough time with the security on 2 occasions despite having permission from the Central Govt and higher ups.

They keep eyes on you so much so that you feel suffocated despite it being a peace area and not a filed base.

They took my fcking mobiles...gave me a time limit to reach the office and be back..got pulled up by the AF police..took so many pictures of my face and finger prints..i was like WTF..but they are doing a good job and are very professional.

Back
Top Bottom