What's new

USA offers 24 F-16 jets to Indonesia

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
USA offers 24 F-16 jets to Indonesia

Indonesian Military chief Adm. Agus Suhartono said he has been studying an offer of two squadrons of F-16 A/B Fighting Falcon fighter jets from the US.

He said although it was a grant, he had to calculate the cost of maintaining the 24 aircraft. Indonesia-US ties were also a consideration, he said as quoted by Antara news agency.

The Obama administration lifted the military embargo on Indonesia in July due to “improvement on human rights”. The embargo was levied more than a decade ago after repeated human rights abuses in Timor Leste perpetrated by the Indonesian Military.

Budget concerns forced Indonesia to refuse an earlier US government offer of a newer model of Fighting Falcon, the F-16 C/D.

Indonesian Air Force chief of staff Air Marshal Eri Biatmoko said the military needed three squadrons of fighter jets for air security.

RI studies F-16 offer | The Jakarta Post

Budget concerns forced Indonesia to refuse an earlier US government offer of a newer model of Fighting Falcon, the F-16 C/D.

But was not there some news about indonesia planning to buy higher number of jet fighter aircrafts , upto 200 i guess.

I told previously Indonesia defense minister talks alot. 200 they can't procure in next 15 years. I also said they'll go and US will offer F-16s a lucrative deal that can't be refused and Yes Indonesia will buy them.

I believe Indonesia will not accept that offer. US arms embargo in mid '90 made it impossible for Indonesia to maintain American-built aircraft. US want attract our attention with those cheapy jets! We have long period program to develop our own jet with South Korea and buying some Sukhois from Russia.

I believe Indonesia will not accept that offer. US arms embargo in mid '90 made it impossible for Indonesia to maintain American-built aircraft. US want attract our attention with those cheapy jets! We have long period program to develop our own jet with South Korea and buying some Sukhois from Russia.

I still maintain JF-17 remains the best option for Indonesia as it is superior to non BVR F-16A/Bs in many aspects and most importantly it is affordable and Indonesia if comes up with a substantial offer can get TOPT which Yankeez wont offer in a 100 years.

something missed.........

This year we want to buy only 6 F-16 Block 52, so we can have 1 full skadron of f16.....

but US offer us 24 second hand f-16 block 32 with same price as 6 F16 block 52 (new build)..........

Buy them upgrade them something worth buying instead of russio ancient metals.

Yup! Su-30 is russia ancient metals. At least we can use it in the war. No strings attached!

SU-30MKI-g4sp.jpg

:disagree:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup! Su-30 is russia ancient metals. At least we can use it in the war. No strings attached!
Su-30 series that you got is one of the finest deals you can get out of a modern fighter. It will make your air force a lethal force to reckon with in the region. And yeah; certainly no strings attached. That's what I like about Russians. They are solid relation-makers; not politicians.

Buy them upgrade them something worth buying instead of russio ancient metals.

brother,...
There too much limitation of our F-16... we dont even have BVR missile because they dont allow us to have it (US embargo), we cant use this aircraft to fight separatis and bla bla bla, this F-16 only for parade.....

I think we are in correct path, we will have a full skadron of SU27 familiy by 2014, with longer range, better radar range, more powefull, best in maneuverability, and we even have BVR (range >100km) capability in our sukhoi

there is no limitation at all..............

They better decide whether they like the falcon or the flanker better.

They better decide whether they like the falcon or the flanker better.

F-16 is not in the same class with Su-27.... they cannot be compared, apple to apple, Su-27 is more strategic, because of its range, it is a heavy class, similar to F-15...

-------------------

currently we are the only one country who operates F-16, Su-27, Su 30, combined between russian and american technology, I think our air forces in an exercise now know what is the advantages of F-16 and Sukhoi :smitten:

F-16 is not in the same class with Su-27.... they cannot be compared, apple to apple, Su-27 is more strategic, because of its range, it is a heavy class, similar to F-15...

-------------------

currently we are the only one country who operates F-16, Su-27, Su 30, combined between russian and american technology, I think our air forces in an exercise now know what is the advantages of F-16 and Sukhoi :smitten:

So Indonesia is essentially going for a high-lo combination.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom