What's new

US warn's Sri Lanka

manlion

Reaction score
US: Patience with Sri Lanka could 'wear thin' - KULR-8 Television, Billings, MT

By MATTHEW PENNINGTON
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - International patience could wear thin with Sri Lanka unless it takes action to address allegations of atrocities during the island nation's civil war, the top U.S. diplomat for South Asia said Tuesday.

Assistant Secretary of State Nisha Biswal stopped short of endorsing a deadline set last month by British Prime Minister David Cameron, who said he would call for a U.N.-backed inquiry into allegations of war crimes unless there was progress on postwar reconciliation by March.

A U.N. report has suggested Sri Lanka's military may have killed up to 40,000 civilians in the final months of the war in 2009 as it crushed ethnic Tamil rebels, who are also accused of atrocities.

Biswal urged Sri Lanka to take concrete steps on its own, particularly on issues of accountability.

"We would like to see Sri Lanka address these issues through its own processes, and we hope that can in fact be the case," Biswal told reporters, adding that recommendations of a Sri Lankan-government appointed reconciliation commission pointed the way forward.

She said without real progress the patience of the international community "will start to wear thin."

The government of President Mahinda Rajapaksa has so far ignored calls for a thorough local inquiry into war abuses and says it will not allow any international probe. He denies allegations of abuses by the army.

Since the Tamil Tigers' 27-year battle for an ethnic homeland ended, Rajapaksa's grip on power has tightened. Recent reports of media harassment and rights abuses have also raised alarms, although a convincing victory for the main ethnic Tamil party in provincial elections in northern Sri Lanka in September were seen as a small step toward devolution of power.

Biswal, portfolio covers South and Central Asia, also voiced concern Friday about political violence in Bangladesh, where street clashes between rival factions have killed about 40 people and wounded hundreds in the past month.

The opposition is resisting government plans to hold a general election on Jan. 5 unless Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina allows a neutral caretaker administration to oversee the polls.

Biswal, who recently visited Bangladesh, called for the major political parties to come together and work out a compromise "that will allow for elections to take place that the people of Bangladesh have confidence in and feel are credible."

She said failure to achieve a peaceful political transition poses the greatest obstacle to Bangladesh continuing its progress of the past decade in areas such as reducing child and maternal mortality and improving food security.

Analysts fear the political chaos could exacerbate the economic woes of the country of 160 million people and lead to radicalization in a strategic pocket of South Asia.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ACF-Sri-Lankan-massacre.jpg

Srilankan war crimes on aid worker massacre exposed: ACF calls Intnl. probe

Srilankan war crimes got exposed once more, but not with usual Tamil Tigers, this time with aid workers of a French Charity. A French charity has accused Sri Lanka’s security forces of killing 17 of its aid workers in 2006, and demanded an international Independent inquiry, which was the the long time call of Tamil Diaspora .

Action Against Hunger (ACF) said it had been awaiting the outcome of Sri Lanka’s own inquiries but they had turned into a “farce” while realising that the Srilankan inquiries are always a set up drama with well known and expected results,

The workers were found shot dead at their office in the Tamils town of Muttur of Eastern Tamil Home land.

ACF said its workers had been lined up, forced to kneel and each shot in the head which is usual Srilankan style of killing Tamils. Srilankan forces committed similar crimes in 2009 where captured Tamiks Tigers were massacred.

The killings happened as security forces took control of Muttur, while fighting Tamil Tiger rebels during 2007 battle for freedom of Tamils.

Other allegations of war crimes overshadowed a Commonwealth summit held in Sri Lanka this month. As Commonwealth Secretary , Sharma continue to pursue the rise of Rajapaksa regime where he can keep his silent.

Human rights activists have previously proved Sri Lanka’s security forces of the killings but ACF said it had held off, awaiting the official version of events.

It then decided to publicly denounce the perpetrators because “relevant domestic mechanisms have been exhausted, witnesses have been silenced and the internal Sri Lankan investigation has become a farce”.

ACF said it had lost contact with its mission in Muttur at around 7am on 4 August 2006, as fighting raged around it.

“Lined up inside the ACF compound, they had been shot dead at close range…,” the report says.

“Staying away from direct hostilities, ACF staff were not killed by stray bullets. They were deliberately targeted, despite the fact that they were wearing white ACF T-shirts and were not armed.”

Soldiers and police then attempted to block any investigation into the deaths, according to the charity’s report.

Sri Lanka is just getting in crossfire between US-China tussle.

China causes trouble for US allies, US will do the same.

Does America remember its civil war? What was william sherman famous for again? My memories' a little woozy.

Civil wars are terrible by nature, but look at Sri Lank and China now, both brutal civil wars, now both are leading the developing nations in Asia, China in the East and Sri Lanka in the South.

What's over is over, get over it or move.

Does America remember its civil war? What was william sherman famous for again? My memories' a little woozy.

Civil wars are terrible by nature, but look at Sri Lank and China now, both brutal civil wars, now both are leading the developing nations in Asia, China in the East and Sri Lanka in the South.

What's over is over, get over it or move.

If you have no idea about the causes of the conflict , Sri Lanka failure to keep its 'promises' to the world, apart from the war crimes, you should not be here.

Just because China needs Sri Lanka for its Indian ocean strategic 'war games'. there is no need for you to expose your stupidity and ignorance on a subject that you have no clue.

F*cking dirty Indian kid, after training a terror group against Sri Lanka now acting as saint, forever dirty super pooorrrrrr country.

Are you new to the game, are you Ok with India training Neo - Nazi Sinhala terrorists ?

Now TN parties want India to stop training Lankan navy - Rediff.com India News

In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh recently, Jayalalithaa had expressed her strong protest over India's offer to train Sri Lankan Naval officials.

"I wish to convey our strong protest against this insensitive policy of defence co-operation with Sri Lanka, which totally ignores the impact it may have upon the feelings of the people of Tamil Nadu," she had said.

Jayalalithaa was referring to the offer of a four-year Bachelor of Technology course made by Indian Navy chief Admiral D K Joshi when he called on President Mahinda Rajapaksa in Colombo on November 29.

The chief minister's strong remarks came in the backdrop of frequent attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen and their boats by Sri Lankan Navy. Currently, several fishermen are languishing in jails in the island nation.

Jayalalithaa had also demanded that training of Sri Lankan defence personnel in India be stopped.

Recalling her earlier letters to Singh opposing training to Sri Lankan defence personnel in India, she had urged him to urgently review the policy and instruct the defence ministry not to pursue the proposed training programme.

Karunanidhi made a similar pitch, demanding that the Centre revoke its offer to Sri Lanka to train its naval officers.

"Despite promises by the Centre to assist our demands, some have doubts if the Centre is going easy on certain issues just to retain its neutral character among countries worldwide," he told media persons at his residence in Chennai on Tuesday.

Last edited:
F*cking dirty Indian kid, after training a terror group against Sri Lanka now acting as saint, forever dirty super pooorrrrrr country.

Chill bro.. Just because a retard with a 3 year olds brain thinks his India is a bollywood fantasy, Lets not demean the whole nation.. :lol:

I take these endless anti Lanka threads by "manwoman" with humor.. Just imagine his arse burn even after 4 years of that epic butt f@ck.. Pretty sure his life saving's cleaning toilets went down the drain with Praba..:-)

Sri Lanka did the absolute correct thing in crushing those Tamil terrorists. Tamils are worse than Islamic terrorists.

I don't think the Sri Lankans went far enough in completely crushing the Tamils.

We will always have Sri Lanka's back.

Bro,

I'm from Singapore and I'm a Tamil guy too. If you see my country, Chinese, Malay and Tamil stay together and work together and attained prosperity to our country.

In Singapore, Tamil speaking people are just 7% or even below but we have been take care by our government and Tamil is one of the official languages in India.

In other words, a country which doesn't take care of his people will suffer from economy paralysis and peace.

Just a thought :)

Bro,

I'm from Singapore and I'm a Tamil guy too. If you see my country, Chinese, Malay and Tamil stay together and work together and attained prosperity to our country.

In Singapore, Tamil speaking people are just 7% or even below but we have been take care by our government and Tamil is one of the official languages in India.

In other words, a country which doesn't take care of his people will suffer from economy paralysis and peace.

Just a thought :)

Tamil is just a regional official language in India.

Tamil is an official language in Sri Lanka. There isn't a Sinhalese & Tamil conflict in SL, what we are facing today is bunch of Tamils who live in Northern part are demanding special rights for them. We have 2 Tamil groups in SL, SL Tamils (11%) and Indian Tamils (4%) apart from that we have SL moor minority ethnic group (9%). Total amount of Tamils (both groups) is around 3.1 million but the Tamils who live in Northern province is less than 1 million. If the rest of Tamils & SL Moors can live peacefully then why they are demanding special status which is rest of Sri Lankans do not have?

sorry for mentioning this, some Tamils are acting as trouble makers in most of countries. Tamils make troubles in India, in Sri Lanka, in Malaysia...now in Australia, we will see in UK and Canada in the future.

Tamil is an official language in Sri Lanka. There isn't a Sinhalese & Tamil conflict in SL, what we are facing today is bunch of Tamils who live in Northern part are demanding special rights for them. We have 2 Tamil groups in SL, SL Tamils (11%) and Indian Tamils (4%) apart from that we have SL moor minority ethnic group (9%). Total amount of Tamils (both groups) is around 3.1 million but the Tamils who live in Northern province is less than 1 million. If the rest of Tamils & SL Moors can live peacefully then why they are demanding special status which is rest of Sri Lankans do not have?

sorry for mentioning this, some Tamils are acting as trouble makers in most of countries. Tamils make troubles in India, in Sri Lanka, in Malaysia...now in Australia, we will see in UK and Canada in the future.

are moors muslim community of arab descent ??? \

Hi,

Interesting facts here!

Thanks for letting me know about Tamil community in Sri Lanka. Just a small question, Why Tamils from other parts of Sri Lanka doesn't protest against Northern Tamil people and Why does Northern part needs a special status according to them.

I have no idea about Tamils in India, Sri Lanka or any other part of the country but in Malyasia, I don't see Tamils doing any damage. I guess, you're talking about HINDRAF!

Hi,

Interesting facts here!

Thanks for letting me know about Tamil community in Sri Lanka. Just a small question, Why Tamils from other parts of Sri Lanka doesn't protest against Northern Tamil people and Why does Northern part needs a special status according to them.

I have no idea about Tamils in India, Sri Lanka or any other part of the country but in Malyasia, I don't see Tamils doing any damage. I guess, you're talking about HINDRAF!

It's clearly a separatist movement. If there is a discrimination, equality issue it should affect to all Tamils in Sri Lanka and all other minority ethnic groups. Politically second Tamil group always supports ruling party.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom