What's new

US Naval Intelligence: China PLAN almost doubles attack submarine patrols

Fennecus

Reaction score
China increases submarine patrols - report
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Feb 3, 2009

China nearly doubled the number of patrols by its fleet of attack submarines last year, surpassing Russia but still far behind the United States, the Federation of American Scientists reported Tuesday.
The report, based on declassified information provided by US naval intelligence, said Chinese attack submarines conducted 12 patrols in 2008, compared to seven in 2007, two in 2006 and none in 2005.

"While the increase in submarine patrols is important, it has to be seen in comparison with the size of the Chinese submarine fleet," said Hans Kristensen, director of the organization's nuclear information project.

"With approximately 54 submarines, the patrol rate means that each submarine on average goes on patrol once every four and a half years," he said.

The patrols may have been carried out by just the most modern and capable types of submarines in the Chinese fleet, the report said, noting that a new class of nuclear-powered Shang-class attack submarines is replacing the aging Han-class.

In an interview, Kristensen said the information, although sketchy, was a window into how Chinese naval operations are changing as it builds up its forces.

"We don't know where they went or for how long. But it certainly seems to be a new mission. They have been very modest in their patrols in the past," he said.

"The fact that from one year to another they have doubled their patrols seems that they have something new to do," he said.

"It could be, as we've heard for the last four years or so, an attempt to expand their naval defense barrier further eastward into the Pacific," he said.

In comparison with other major navies, a dozen patrols a year "are not much," the report said.

"The patrol rate of the US attack submarine fleet, which is focused on long-range patrols and probably operate regularly near the Chinese coast, is much higher with each submarine conducting at least one extended patrol per year," it said.

"But the Chinese patrol rate is higher than that of the Russian navy, which in 2008 conducted only seven attack submarine patrols, the same as in 2007," it said.

China has yet to conduct a single patrol by a ballistic missile submarine, according to the report.

"The old Xia, China's first SSBN, completed a multi-year overhaul in late-2007 but did not sail on patrol in 2008," it said.

"Neither the Xia-class (Type-092) ballistic missile submarine nor the new Jin-class (Type-094) have ever conducted a deterrent patrol," it said.

China increases submarine patrols - report

Another way of Projection of Power by the Chinese, China is becoming a Pain in the ........... For USA.

Just learned in another thread that Chinese Warships Forced Indian SUB to Surface.

Another way of Projection of Power by the Chinese, China is becoming a Pain in the ........... For USA.

Just learned in another thread that Chinese Warships Forced Indian SUB to Surface.

it forced an IN sub only in chinese media and in dreams. Chinese media also claims that indian moon mission is fake etc etc.

whole world knows who is fake and talked about. Who cares about chinese media anyway. its a backstage with no freedom.

it forced an IN sub only in chinese media and in dreams. Chinese media also claims that indian moon mission is fake etc etc.

whole world knows who is fake and talked about. Who cares about chinese media anyway. its a backstage with no freedom.

China has more freedom for people to survive, to be literate... And I see anti-CPC messages all over the internet.

Do Indians have the freedom to be more literate and to have less poverty?

China has more freedom for people to survive, to be literate... And I see anti-CPC messages all over the internet.

Having Political freedom does not mean having more poverty along with it. US for example, has political freedom, and if i may add has a higher standard of living than China.

Poverty and democracy are not related.

And on another note, i'd rather be free and hungry than a slave with food in my mouth.

Dont try to become a defender of the CPC. There are thousands of Chinese, who'd like democracy in China as well. And as the Chinese get more exposure to the western world, i suspect, the number of people demanding freedom would only increase.

Having Political freedom does not mean having more poverty along with it. US for example, has political freedom, and if i may add has a higher standard of living than China.

Poverty and democracy are not related.

And on another note, i'd rather be free and hungry than a slave with food in my mouth.

Dont try to become a defender of the CPC. There are thousands of Chinese, who'd like democracy in China as well. And as the Chinese get more exposure to the western world, i suspect, the number of people demanding freedom would only increase.

Poverty has never been a signature of any advanced society, neither has repression.

China has already a degree of democracy in place for long time, which is still in its infancy and is far from perfect. Most of the Western world and all of the ignorant hate to recognize it.

If a kind of “freedom” yields death of starvation, that “freedom” is fake and false, as it doesn’t give people the freedom to live and/or to live in a decent way – a base for any other activities.

People in China are demanding better life, not huger, nor poorer!

Yes, and i am trying to tell you, that saying that CCP is providing Chinese people with jobs and food and are thus legitimized is wrong. The same, the very same can be achieved under democracy. The better life for Chinese people can be achieved under democracy, not autocracy, or theocracy.

Your being over optimistic about the degree of democracy in China.

I guess yes. hmm to answer this I have to quote my personal story. My govt didnt give me land and food to eat which i had. They gave me something at the right time. They paid majority of my education from school till my university with free books. Challenge to keep getting paid was to show some good results. It helped me and my not so fortunate friends from dropping out of school and college at the crucial time. Now that I have money, I sponsor 2 guys who are similarly unfortunate to fund themselves. they will be better persons for sure. Now I am doing something to help the govt. Thats because my govt is for the people and also by the people. Yes I had and have the freedom.

Now my govt is distributing free personal computers to junior high school students doing well in board exam. That makes more people to go to school. Thats freedom, because they are not asked to sing slogans of praise for the govt for what they got.

More private perticipations are coming along to provide accidental and health insurences to people with bare minimum wages. Started with some states now. Premium being paid by govt.

My father gets pension from the govt and will keep getting it until his last day. My mom will then start getting it when he is gone. that way she will never face proverty.

for the poor there is still 1 Rs a kilo rice and daily necessities. Cant say govt does nothing.

So don't just watch Slumdog Millionaire and imagine india. There is a lot going on.

message to the indians is that govt will do. but what have you done. For those of us who can afford, lets take the responsibility to Teach one and feed one who is in need. Lets see how proverty exists in india. We have enough rice and wheat to eat. but lets buy a meal to the unpriviledged, who could have been anyone of us under circumstances.

Yes, and i am trying to tell you, that saying that CCP is providing Chinese people with jobs and food and are thus legitimized is wrong. The same, the very same can be achieved under democracy. The better life for Chinese people can be achieved under democracy, not autocracy, or theocracy.

Your being over optimistic about the degree of democracy in China.

Surely if your picture of China is only derived through Western media, it is always hopeless, bleak and grotesque. (BTW, this has changed a little recently after Robert Zoellick predicted that China shold be a stakeholder.)

This is because the development of China is not an easy thing to digest for those who view China as enemy, potential enemy or as an alien.

China has a lot tough challenges ahead, but it will go on its own way with its own characteristics. It will not copy Western models, at least I have been hoping, but absorb their high values in science and humanity.

Development of China is not under any question. There should be more development of China, but you should be able to choose your means to that development.

That means can be autocratic/theocratic or democratic.

^^It's already off topic for too many posts.

Need a different thread in a different section, if you will, to exchange our views on this (politics).

Back
Top Bottom